The end of audio protections?

vbimport

Hi,
Don't you find strange that almost all new records have no audio protections ? David Bowie, Weezer, Red Hot Chile Peppers, Morcheeba,... and many others are unprotected. I just saw Wycleff Jean with k2a.
As far as i remember, major companies had said that, by mid-2002, all discs would be protected.
I think the only explanation is that it's just not possible to make an efficient and compatible protection.

I suspect that they’ve found that sales haven’t increased by copy protection so all it does is reduce their profits by paying licence fees for the protection.

Sales even decreased: It was normal to buy a CD, copy it, and then return it to the shop “because it doesn’t work in my standalone”

Originally posted by alexnoe
Sales even decreased: It was normal to buy a CD, copy it, and then return it to the shop “because it doesn’t work in my standalone”

Cute.:bigsmile: If this keeps up, we’ll never get copy protected audio downunder.:smiley: So no-one will have to buy a plex which cost 3 times the price of an equivalent speed Litey or Asus here.:bigsmile:

i hope it cost them lots of money developing protections

They didn’t even create the protection at the beginning.
It started with SafeAudio, created in Israel, if I remember well. Someone sold it to majors, arguing it would prevent profit loss.

Maybe the other majors felt then the need of developing their own protections in order to keep on with the competition.

oh no , please , dear record companies , don ’ t stop to protect your audio cd ’ s , it gives us such a pleasure to crack your effort to find the perfect protection , like a child stealing candy , what should we do if there are no more protected cd ’ s anymore ???

bye ,

As far as i remember, major companies had said that, by mid-2002, all discs would be protected.

I think it is odd that European versions of a CD would be protected while that same CD is not protected here in America (and vice versa). For example; I have the Natalie Imbruglia - White Lilies Islands CD and it has no copy protection, but the same European release is protected with CDS-200. The same thing with the new Celine Dion CD.