The Dynex Jackpot or a Fraud?

Well, I work at a Best Buy, and some of their Dynex DVD-R’s came off the truck shipment with the shrink wrap torn. We can’t sell them like that, so we were going to sell them along with some other junk for 7c/lb. to a salvage company. Since they’d only get about 14c for each 50 ct. cake box, I offered them $2/piece for three cake boxes. I figured, what the hell, 2c/disc is a good price for anything, even Ritek.

When I got home, I popped one in my GSA-H42L. The MID came back as Verbatim brand MCC 03RG20. I came a little.

I can’t get a disc quality test to work on Nero with this drive unfortunately. ;( Surface scan came back 100% positive. Create Disc (CAV) was a steady y=x with a few Renesas dips at 12x, 14x, and 16x. Transfer rate’s a beautiful upward curve until it hits ~15x, where it dips down to ~14.3x about 3 times.

So, I’ve got to ask; has anyone reported fraudulent MID’s on Dynex media. They’re made in China. I’m told that MCC discs are made in either Taiwan or Singapore, so I’m a little questionable as to the truth of this MID. If they’re real, I just picked up 150 MCC 03RG20’s at 2c/disc! :DDDD

edit: the open/lock font is sans serif, and the dye is purple.

The “Made in China” is definitely questionable for an MCC MID.

For now, I’d say fake - maybe you can provide some hub codes on the discs, so someone like Evilboy or dakhaas can shed some light?

:slight_smile:

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
 Disc type:           : DVD-R
 Book Type            : DVD-R
 Manufacturer:        : Verbatim
 MID                  : MCC 03RG20  
 Write speeds:        : 4 X - 8.0 X - 8 X - 16.0 X - 16 X - 18.0 X - 18 X
 Blank Capacity       : 4.38 GB
                      : 4489 MB
                      : 4707321856 bytes
Extended Information
 Layers               : 1
 Usage                : General
 Copyright protection : n/a
 Recorder information
 Disc Status          : Empty
Raw Data
Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh)
0000 - 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 85 0D 0E 88 9A 80 00 - .@....R.........
0010 - 03 4D 43 43 20 30 33 00 04 52 47 32 30 20 20 00 - .MCC.03..RG20...
0020 - 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 78 18 11 00 67 04 D7 77 - ........x...g..w
0030 - 88 B7 D4 77 FF FF FF FF 85 B7 D4 77 57 C5 06 10 - ...w.......wW...
0040 - BA C1 3D 77 D8 18 11 00 CC 18 11 00 D4 18 11 00 - ..=w............
0050 - 00 00 00 00 D8 12 11 00 D8 12 11 00 5A 14 00 00 - ............Z...
0060 - A8 11 11 00 34 87 D4 77 B8 11 11 00 00 00 15 00 - ....4..w........

Is this what you’re looking for?

Not quite, but thanks for posting it anyway :slight_smile:

Around the centre of the disc, there should be a series of letters/numbers (two sets probably) - those are what I was looking for, and you’ll probably have to hold the disc in a certain way to see them, they can be hard to see. :slight_smile:

That is tough. I’m reading the hub code as 02C306-10-0215:51, but those 0’s could be O’s.

Thanks for posting the hub code. As I said, hopefully someone who knows more about them then me will post some input. :slight_smile:

Is that the only code on there, no second set of numbers/letters?

I’ve seen the same hub code with the MCC Z code scheme, but the product codes have the same font and are printed like CMC media. It’s not thick and reflective like the one on verbs.

As a matter of fact, MCC discs can also be made in India.
But this hub code doesn’t look like a serial from an ODM factory. I don’t know which company made your discs though, but this seems definitely fake.

Hahaha yeah, I have some here, and forgot about that when I posted :doh:

Only ones I’ve seen from China myself though have been Prodisc-made CDRs. But then, you’re the expert on MIC media, Evilboy :flower:

These sound like the media Best Buy sold for $5 per 100pk on Black Friday. Fake MCC 03RG20. They’re actually pretty reliable in my BenQ with SolidBurn on when burnt at 8x speed, but who knows how long they’ll last. They make a great giveaway disc.

Yeah, put it this way, they’ve gotta be better than the fake TYG02’s some kind soul gave me for my birthday (the thought was there, LOL).

My Litey took one look and was like, nah :disagree:

Yes i have gotten those kinds of gifts also. So when they want me to make a back-up of some of their stuff i use them :bigsmile: It’s the thought :wink: that counts :bigsmile:

It’s impossible to be an expert on MIC media!
There’s so much media from lots of different factories… and lots of fake media. :Z
But many Taiwanese manufacturers have actually outsourced some of their CD production lines to China (Ritek, Prodisc, CMC), Hong Kong (Prodisc, CMC) or Malaysia (Daxon).

Have you tried HT and OHT?
Or did you fear that it would learn something wrong and afterwards be bad to your genuine TYG02? :bigsmile:

Hahahaha, what a great idea! I still have 19 of the spindle that I opened left, I can use them for that :clap:…you are right though, it’s the thought that counts - at least the person who bought them for me (my mum’s boyfriend) was observant enough to know that I like media! :bigsmile:

I believe I did have HT and OHT enabled :sad:…but yeah, that’s a very real fear :bigsmile:

I’ll see what my 1640 with SolidBurn does with them :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s the only code present.

The hub code is etched onto the clear plastic in the center of the disc; there is no reflective surface around the center that I see on the true Verbatim discs. The true Verbatim hub code also seems to be mirrored (i.e. you have to read it backwards).

Well since you work at Best Buy I would like to take the opportunity to tell you how I would NEVER set foot in one of your stores and NEVER buy a product let alone media of all things - CRAP media all around, sellers know NOTHING about the products they sell, and it seems everytime I have purchased something from BB I had to return it because it was DOA - I have learnt my lesson long ago to avoid buying media from future shop or best buy. Just thought I’d point it out since you are one of them - Only SUCKERS would shop there. I also have known someone who has worked there and was told enough stories to raise some eyebrows, so I’m not surprised by what youa re telling me. Sorry for this O/T post, but I had to get it off my chest.

Yeah, the product that comes off the trucks is frozen solid; I’m sure that’s no good for the media. I work inventory, and I can tell you from experience that the product literally get thrown around the warehouse. However, Verbatim branded MCC004 for ~50c/disc is too hard to pass up. Never trust American retail underpaid package handlers; they just don’t give a fuck. D:

Eh, I’m sure there’s stories like that from every single major retailer. I rather like Best Buy, what can I say. Gotta love that Reward Zone.

Here’s a comparison between the RITEKF1 (Dynex) and the MCC 03RG20 (Dynex):

Ritek: They have the official DVD R/RW symbol etched on the left with the Dynex’s URL in very small print below it. “DVD-R” is larger on the right encapsulated in a soft edgeless rectangle along with “16x|120min|4.7GB” in a shaded part underneath it within the same rectangle. The Dynex logo along the top is rather small. Font is sans serif. The hub code is in black on the inner plastic ring reading “J508F60605020073C15” with another hub code on the unfrosted part of the data of the disc reading “DR5F6O-01172”.

Mistubishi(?): They have just the sans serif letters DVD-R on both the left and right (identical). Under the left, the Dynex URL is etched. Under the right, “16x/120 min/4.7GB” is encapsulated within a hard edgy rectangle that has no shading whatsoever. Moreover, the DVD-R on the right is not within the rectangle. The three Ritek labeling lines are also thicker than the Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi hub code reads in clear along the inner ring as “02C306-10-0215:51” with another on the data side as “722M”.

All burned on LH20A1H:

Here are Create Disc and Disc Quality graphs on the MCC 03RG20 in 16X CAV:

Here are the graphs for Dynex RITEKF1 which was in 16X P-CAV for some reason:

For comparison, here is a Fuji RITEKF1 DQ graph in 16X CAV:

I hope this provides some insight. Any help is appreciated. :slight_smile:

so true