The dvdfab v5 vista install bug

it so happened htat the C drive on my Vista PC died & the man from dell put in a new blank one tody & left me to reinstall everyting.

I thought this would be a rare opportunity to look for the install & registration problems that others have reported with v5 & vista

using version 5.0.2.0 ( which is the version on my other PC) , I ran the install OK, ( skipped the VSO burning engine install), clicked my Key, then launched the program.

because I had left the default check for updates box ticked, it immediately went online, told me that 5.0.9.0 existed, then generated a crash report. there was no way to actually run the program in order to get into options & turn that off. its was stuck in a loop of: program starts, checks for update, crash report screen, program closes.

this was a clean new vista home premium only installed today.

I outwitted the bug by disabling my internet connection, then getting into user options to disable updates. Now I don’t know if this has been fixed since, I just wanted to add my own test results to the knowledge base, before i go back to using the program on my XP machine instead.

PS. registration seemed to work fine, I’ll just check tomorrow that it is still registered to me when I power back on

[quote=cybmole;2134739]it so happened htat the C drive on my Vista PC died & the man from dell put in a new blank one tody & left me to reinstall everyting.

I thought this would be a rare opportunity to look for the install & registration problems that others have reported with v5 & vista

using version 5.0.2.0 ( which is the version on my other PC) , I ran the install OK, ( skipped the VSO burning engine install), clicked my Key, then launched the program.

because I had left the default check for updates box ticked, it immediately went online, told me that 5.0.9.0 existed, then generated a crash report. there was no way to actually run the program in order to get into options & turn that off. its was stuck in a loop of: program starts, checks for update, crash report screen, program closes.

this was a clean new vista home premium only installed today.

I outwitted the bug by disabling my internet connection, then getting into user options to disable updates. Now I don’t know if this has been fixed since, I just wanted to add my own test results to the knowledge base, before i go back to using the program on my XP machine instead.

PS. registration seemed to work fine, I’ll just check tomorrow that it is still registered to me when I power back on[/quote]
Hey cybmole
didn’t know you had a Vista rig :doh:, anyway when ever I install [B]any program[/B] that automatically connects to the internet I always disable internet connections until I have a chance to make changes to my firewall and the program that is being installed…it’s a very good habbit to get into.

Anyway have a nice day my friend :flower:

SJ

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2134760]Hey cybmole
didn’t know you had a Vista rig :doh:,
Anyway have a nice day my friend :flower:

SJ[/QUOTE]
hi yes a fresh vista install, but now I’m stuck at getting the vista registry hack to work so that I can aceess dvds via media centre. I did it before the old hard disc died & I know that the hack is:

“Now navigate to the Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Media Center \Settings \DvdSettings and edit the value ShowGallery. Change the value from Play to Gallery”

but now, when I do it, as adminstarator, with UAC off, the changes does not “stick” - ithe key keeps reverting to “play” when I test. Something to do with vista admin premissions I am sure but I cant google an answer & can’t remember how I bypassed this before - any ideas on how to give myself the necessary permissions ?

EDIT - UPDATE - finally got it to work but dunno how! just kept experimenting with edit registry - reboot, edit registry - logout etc until finally it stayed set to gallery & stopped reverting to play. I HATE vista, but now I can see my dvd backups again. luckily they were on a separate D drive which survived the C drive crash.

PS back on topic. checked the DVD fab install & it is still registered to me - so I never did reproduce the registration problems that others have reported, just the infinite update - crash report - loop bug. i

s that now fixed in a later version ? I could install 5.0.9 & see for myself but I don’t actulay need it on the Vista PC , unles my other PC dies!

[quote=cybmole;2135469]hi yes a fresh vista install, but now I’m stuck at getting the vista registry hack to work so that I can aceess dvds via media centre. I did it before the old hard disc died & I know that the hack is:

“Now navigate to the Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Media Center \Settings \DvdSettings and edit the value ShowGallery. Change the value from Play to Gallery”

but now, when I do it, as adminstarator, with UAC off, the changes does not “stick” - ithe key keeps reverting to “play” when I test. Something to do with vista admin premissions I am sure but I cant google an answer & can’t remember how I bypassed this before - any ideas on how to give myself the necessary permissions ?

EDIT - UPDATE - finally got it to work but dunno how! just kept experimenting with edit registry - reboot, edit registry - logout etc until finally it stayed set to gallery & stopped reverting to play. I HATE vista, but now I can see my dvd backups again. luckily they were on a separate D drive which survived the C drive crash.

PS back on topic. checked the DVD fab install & it is still registered to me - so I never did reproduce the registration problems that others have reported, just the infinite update - crash report - loop bug. i

s that now fixed in a later version ? I could install 5.0.9 & see for myself but I don’t actulay need it on the Vista PC , unles my other PC dies![/quote]
Is this what you was talking about :confused:
http://channel8.msdn.com/Posts/Use-Vista-and-Media-Center-to-make-the-best-digital-DVD-library-EVER/

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2135682]Is this what you was talking about :confused:
http://channel8.msdn.com/Posts/Use-Vista-and-Media-Center-to-make-the-best-digital-DVD-library-EVER/[/QUOTE]
yes - the hack is you cange a dvdsettings key using regedit - from “play” to “gallery”. but the missing info is how to make that change stick.

what happened to me today & also previously is that I’d make the change - test it - find it had not worked - go back into regedit & find that the key value has reverted back from “gallery” to “play”!.

there’s no explicit “save” command in regedit - it should save changes when you exit, so I don’t know why it was reverting back.

I was using an adminstrator account with UAC disabled.

I think my final attempt ,which worked, was do regedit then immediately logoff & log back on before testing. Maybe “Galllery” is case sensitive & I finally got the case right - dunno. Also tried googling the problem but could only find the basic hack instructions, nothing on forcing vista to save the regedit changes.

Anyway it now works. Media centre now has DVd library where it used to have play DVD and going there shows all the DVDs on Hard drive, so long as you have told media center which folders to monitor. & it picks up the cover art also if you have folder.jpg pictures in the dvd folders.

It’s a cool system, I’m a guitar teacher & I rip all my useful instructional & convert DVDs to hard drive so that I can have almost instant acess via a microsoft remote

PS the guy who wrote the how to do it guide for DVDfab in your link missed a trick. If he’d changed the target file folder destination in fab to write directly to his D:/dvd folder & switched off use of customise/main movie etc subfolders he’d have a shorter process. it’s not necessary to move files out of the VIDEO-TS folder, I leave that intact & Media Center still works fine. It ignores any subfolder structure & lists all DVDs alphabetically.

off topic:[QUOTE=cybmole;2135722]It’s a cool system, I’m a guitar teacher & I rip all my useful instructional & convert DVDs to hard drive so that I can have almost instant acess via a microsoft remote[/QUOTE]

Nice another musician :cool:

[quote=cybmole;2135722]yes - the hack is you cange a dvdsettings key using regedit - from “play” to “gallery”. but the missing info is how to make that change stick.

what happened to me today & also previously is that I’d make the change - test it - find it had not worked - go back into regedit & find that the key value has reverted back from “gallery” to “play”!.

there’s no explicit “save” command in regedit - it should save changes when you exit, so I don’t know why it was reverting back.

I was using an adminstrator account with UAC disabled.

I think my final attempt ,which worked, was do regedit then immediately logoff & log back on before testing. Maybe “Galllery” is case sensitive & I finally got the case right - dunno. Also tried googling the problem but could only find the basic hack instructions, nothing on forcing vista to save the regedit changes.

Anyway it now works. Media centre now has DVd library where it used to have play DVD and going there shows all the DVDs on Hard drive, so long as you have told media center which folders to monitor. & it picks up the cover art also if you have folder.jpg pictures in the dvd folders.

It’s a cool system, I’m a guitar teacher & I rip all my useful instructional & convert DVDs to hard drive so that I can have almost instant acess via a microsoft remote

PS the guy who wrote the how to do it guide for DVDfab in your link missed a trick. If he’d changed the target file folder destination in fab to write directly to his D:/dvd folder & switched off use of customise/main movie etc subfolders he’d have a shorter process. it’s not necessary to move files out of the VIDEO-TS folder, I leave that intact & Media Center still works fine. It ignores any subfolder structure & lists all DVDs alphabetically.[/quote]
Thought so, I have another link for that which was updated but couldn’t find it right off hand (old age you know)

You will find that you will have trouble making some changes to the system because you are running the Home version of Vista which means your account is limited even as administrator/owner

Anyway glad you have the issue fixed
Have a nice day :flower:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2135728]Thought so, I have another link for that which was updated but couldn’t find it right off hand (old age you know)

You will find that you will have trouble making some changes to the system because you are running the Home version of Vista which means your account is limited even as administrator/owner

Anyway glad you have the issue fixed
Have a nice day :flower:[/QUOTE]

is there a link or a work-around for waht you say about limited accounts in home premium ?

PS I think the dvd library registry key issue is that it is case sensitive i.e. you must input Gallery, not gallery or GALLERY. All the hack descriptions capitalise the 1st letter, but I’m not about to break the setting again just to check that out!

I’m also wondering how I’m supposed to use the xml files which fab now creates, to get cover art automatically in the vista dvd library display.
Do you know of a link explaining where to put them & whether they have to be renamed ?

[quote=cybmole;2135934]is there a link or a work-around for waht you say about limited accounts in home premium ?

PS I think the dvd library registry key issue is that it is case sensitive i.e. you must input Gallery, not gallery or GALLERY. All the hack descriptions capitalise the 1st letter, but I’m not about to break the setting again just to check that out!

I’m also wondering how I’m supposed to use the xml files which fab now creates, to get cover art automatically in the vista dvd library display.
Do you know of a link explaining where to put them & whether they have to be renamed ?[/quote]
Hi cybmole
About the limited account issue in the Home Premium version of Vista there is no real work around and the main reason is because with that version of vista you don’t have access to any of the security policies and in the security options the Administrator Account status has not been defined mainly because Microsoft feels it is more secure for the avg home user, I upgraded to Vista Ultimate because if I own the computer I don’t like the idea of being limited to what I can do on my PC.

Anyway you are correct about the registry keys bring case sensitive, and about the xml files I myself don’t use them but was reading about that and will try and locate the info and post a link for you.
Have a nice day my friend :flower:

thanks - i have started a new thread about how to use the xml files.