The DVD will only play on my computer

vbimport

Hi fellow CD Freaks. I just joined the forum this morning. I would sure appreciate some help from those of you more experienced freaks.

Here’s my problem/question:

I just bought and installed a Sony DVD/CD Rewritable Drive (DRU820A). I have downloaded a move to my desktop. I am using NERO 6 which came with the drive.

The DVD will only play on my computer. I’ve tried using DVD-RW 4.7 GB, DVD-R 4.7 GB and DVD+R 4.7 GB discs. All of these formats compatable with my Panasonic DVD player. None of them will play on my DVD player. I keep getting the message “Cannot Play”. I know very little about this stuff, but I do know that any recorded discs must be finalized before they will play on another piece of equipment. I believe NERO finalizes automatically. At least I have not found any prompts relating to finalizing.

Can any of you guru’s shed some light on what I’m doing wrong and how to correct?

Thanks.
DaDude

My DVD Player

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

How do you exactly downloaded that movie in your desktop? What file do you have exactly?

I bet it came down as a file with an extension of AVI.

when you right click on said file…check properties…what file extension is it…i’m assuming its an .avi if that is the case , i suggest downloading for free Win Avi just click on the word…Win Avi…then click on the DVD button…after you install it… after its been encoded in .vob then you can burn it with nero…and it should play on most dvd players

Okay, I have downloaded WinAvi. It is now on my desktop. It’s a 3 day free trial. Now what? I’m not understanding what you mean by …after you install it… after its been encoded in .vob then you can burn it with nero…

Do I now open NERO and download the movie again?

Sorry to be so dense, but I am a novice and definitely a Newbie.

i think we might be having a terminology problem here.

@dlaye, please explain what you mean by “download” and please clarify what the file type of the movie is. (I think you might be confusing downloading (saving off of the internet) and ripping (copying from disc to your computer))

the reason i think there is confusion is because you ask if you should open nero and “download” again…

if, in fact, you have a downloaded avi file (that isn’t illegal ;)) you convert it to dvd files (vob, bup, ifo) using winavi then you can burn those files using nero (or whatever program you prefer to burn the disc)

Thanks

I downloaded the movie from a web site called “ISOHUNT”. It is an IRC and Bit Torrent Search Engine. The torrent tag name is :King.Kong[2005]DvDrip.AC3[Eng]-aXXo Here are how the files appear on ISOHUNT when I click on the movie title that I want to download:
Files:
King.Kong[2005]DvDrip.AC3[Eng]CD1-aXXo.avi
King.Kong[2005]DvDrip.AC3[Eng]CD2-aXXo.avi
king-kong-2005-aXXo.nfo

I then click on “Download .Torrent” and it starts to download. I have down loaded it into my desktop.

Is any of this making sense? I don’t understand the jargon. You said: you convert it to dvd files (vob, bup, ifo) using winavi then you can burn those files using nero (or whatever program you prefer to burn the disc). How is that done?

Yes, it have sense: it’s an illegal post :wink:

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that.

No problem :slight_smile:

Read better forum rules before to post

but now we know its an avi file…

open your winavi program…
click on the DVD button…
(that will start encoding your avi file to vob.which is what your Nero burning software needs to burn it to dvd.)
Oh yeah and you might wanna try DVD - or + R…X 16 :wink:

I have the problem of not being able to play through home DVD players (and only my PC).

I have created an ISO file using avi2dvd and have sucessfully burned to movie to DVD using DVD decrypter.

However the movie wont play on my DVD players?

Often this problem is due to a bad burn.

What media did you use? And what burner you have? What firmware? What speed you burned that media?

It turns out it was an issue with the player. It plays fine on other players.

Some players are more picky than other. But the important thing is that you can watch the movie :slight_smile:

The first player i tried was an Alba. Nuf sed! lol

Jessica??

lol :wink: