The DVD format will be discontinued as early as next year! THIS SUCKS!

We should ALL get together and boycott ALL sony products!

I read this news posted on cdfreaks and it really f* pissed me off to no extent!

Just as people are switching from VHS to DVD, those mother******* have decided to completly discontinue all blank DVD and DVD players and support the new BlueRAY and High Definition DVD formats… That’s right ! Films will only be produced on either HD DVD or BlueRay, yet another format war… The new DVD Players will NOT be backward compatible and will NOT read CDs or DVDs…

For all us bloody suckers out there who’ve been transferring all of our VHS to DVD, we will end up with something obsolete…bloody useless…

What’s the bloody use to buy a DVD burner now, if the DVD format will be fully replaced as early as next year ?

Why the BLOODY HELL did I buy a 811S only to read about this bloody crap that pisses me off!

This is bloody insane… I will boycott Sony and will NEVER buy ANY of their products.

Nobody is forcing anyone to stop using the old format, nor is anyone being forced to upgrade to some new format.

I don’t see any reason for you to be this angry. I also don’t understand why you posted this in the Liteon section since it does not concern Liteon in any way.

Why am I f****** angry ? What do you mean nobody is FORCING ? Read your own article mate!

It says the DVD format will be REPLACED… It uses wordings like the current DVD format is now officially OBSOLETE…

This means all of us with big DVD collections will have to replace it!

What about us all peeps who transferred our VHS, slides, 8mm to bloody DVD! We will have to go through this sh*t all over again!

The compression schemes used on BlueRay will not be compatible to MPEG-2 MP@ML, so you won’t be able to simply copy your old DVD to BL DVD…you will have to re-encode/recompress and reduce the quality of video!

What’s next ? BlueRay gets obsolete 6 months later ?

This SUCKS !

Why am I f**** angry ? Because I have a side job where I transfer people’s sh*t on DVD… And now that blank DVD+R’s will be discontinued and all DVD burners will be pulled out and replaced with BL burners next year, then we are all screwed.

At $300 a blank BL-DVD, no bloody thanks!

I can’t believe those tossers are pushign their CRAP onto the market when people are BARELY still transitioning from VHS to DVD.

I must agree that its a bit annoying that we have a 2 new formats that arent backward compatible with DVDs (are you sure of this?). However, in the long run, we will all benefit! 30-50GB on a disc!!!

Anyway, I am sure other people will think the same as you so uptake of this new technologies will not be as fast as you think. I am still considering buying a new VHS VCR over a DVD recorder. I dont need the quality of a DVD recorder as I just want to tape stuff I miss when I am out. The only advantage of a DVD recorder to me is the “time shift” function.

IMHO DVDs will be around a lot longer than you think.

Who bloody needs 50GB on a bloody DVD!

Some of us peeps just want to transfer our old memories, photos, 8mm, slides and VHS tapes to a DVD format, so who the hell wants it in HD format ?

It’s not as if those wankers are leaving us much choice, they clearly said they will REPLACE the DVD technology and their new CRAP will not support old technology.

2 new format (and possibly a 3rd one) to compete in a war…
Where does this leaves us ?

Also the new format will use the crappy MPEG-4 compression which I dispise with the bollocks claims - it still looks like crap compared to MPEG-2.

The LEAST those mother****ers can do is make it so that you can transfer your DVD to a BlueRay disc, WITHOUT recompression, using the same compression and it being readable in a blueray dvd player, where the chipset can support MPEG-2 legacy DVD reading… BUT NO!!! They want to use a new video compression… So us idiots out there will have to re-encode all video and lose more quality through the process of recompression.

I will personally boycott ALL companies involved in supporting this bullshit technology… So far on my last, NEC and SONY, I will not buy ANY of their products ! I will also boycott ANY film company that does not provide standard DVD versions of their films along with their blueray CRAP.

LiteOn is already working on their BlueRay Writer… Can you imagine this? Double Layer is not officially out and already it’s obsolete mfs!

what kind of merit does this thread have?

Buddy, technology changes. theres no way that the existing dvd format will be discontinued next year at least not as far as still having them available in mass quantities. my god do you relieze how many exisiting dvd home players are out there? yes they may slowly phase in the hd format (been talked about for years now). beleive me dvds will still be coming out in existing format for many years to come…look at vhs there still making video recorders and selling vhs. I welcome new technology to be able to watch a movie in HD format is welcome (if you have HD you will notice the difference between 1080i and 480p which is what dvds are now).

And nowhere does it say that they will be PHASING out the existing DVD format next year. some Sony officials may start producing the new format at a high cost and im sure the players at a even higher one.

Movie studios generally aren’t commenting on the new formats. And the rival industry groups aren’t saying exactly when they expect to have players on the market. Both, however, consider the DVD ripe for replacement next year.

So they will start selling the new players next year big deal. doesnt mean that everything is going to magically switch to this new format. id give it 5 years atleast. hell they are still fighting over the formats. ala Betamax vs. VHS

Prozak is pretty easy to get now mate may want to talk to your doctor;)

I see you still haven’t lost your touch of anger…

DVDs have been said to “replace” VHS ever since DVDs came out in the 90’s. Is there still VHS today? Yes. Can you still buy tapes today? Yes. Can you still buy VCRs today? Yes.

How about CDs? You can still buy them, burn them, etc., even those they are obsolete compared to CDs.

Technology changes, and I, for one, am happy that it changes. If they can offer Blu-Ray technology next year at the same kinds of speeds, price, and reliability as DVD recording, I will jump ship, and I will jump ship happily because that would be one hell of a happy miracle. :slight_smile: But most likely, it won’t happen, and it won’t be until the market adapts to BD and it won’t be until the prices & production of BD get refined that it can take over.

What can I say? Trust free market forces. :slight_smile: As we the consumers are part of the free market, if the market forces a change like that, it’ll only be because we want it.

I do a thing on the side, I have clients calling me to request DVD services (transferring their old formats to DVD)… Ever since this article was released i’ve been getting calls from LIVID customers asking me to transfer to BLURAY! ARE THEY CRAZY??? I told them the technology isn’t out yet and not available as of yet, and I’ve been VICIOUSLY insulted ALL the possible and worst insults you can imagine.

I will SUE Sony, NEC and whoever the hell came up with this new technology, on the accounts that I am losing business over this deal.

Originally posted by code65536
[B]I see you still haven’t lost your touch of anger…

DVDs have been said to “replace” VHS ever since DVDs came out in the 90’s. Is there still VHS today? Yes. Can you still buy tapes today? Yes. Can you still buy VCRs today? Yes.

How about CDs? You can still buy them, burn them, etc., even those they are obsolete compared to CDs.

Technology changes, and I, for one, am happy that it changes. If they can offer Blu-Ray technology next year at the same kinds of speeds, price, and reliability as DVD recording, I will jump ship, and I will jump ship happily because that would be one hell of a happy miracle. :slight_smile: But most likely, it won’t happen, and it won’t be until the market adapts to BD and it won’t be until the prices & production of BD get refined that it can take over.

What can I say? Trust free market forces. :slight_smile: As we the consumers are part of the free market, if the market forces a change like that, it’ll only be because we want it. [/B]

Oh really ? And what about the fact that I transferred about 3000 hours of VHS footage to DVDs, what about my clients who have transferred thousands and thousands of old slides and photos to bloody DVD ! What am I to do now ? I have to retranscode everything to blueray now ? or even worse re-compress from MPEG-2 to the new compression scheme used ? THIS SUCKS… And I will personally file a massive lawsuit against Sony unless they make it so you can transfer your old low bit rate MPEG-2 VIDEO_TS folder to a blueray disc without recompression and that blueray DVD players being able to read MPEG-2.

If customers want stuff on Blu-Ray, then that’s a good thing. You can charge them accordingly.

Originally posted by dhc014
If customers want stuff on Blu-Ray, then that’s a good thing. You can charge them accordingly.

How the HELL am I supposed to do that when I don’t even have a BlueRay recorder or blank media, I don’t even think there is one out there yet… This is one bloody joke, those wankers who keep calling me can’t be serious.

Please tell me that the BlueRay DVD drives will have chipsets that support MPEG-2 so I can transfer my old DVDs straighit to blueray without recompression! :slight_smile:

I don’t deny the VCR market is dying, and dying fast. But the point is, despite having been slated to “replace” the VCR market years ago, after all this time, the VCR market isn’t dead yet! It’s dying, but not dead. Likewise, DVDs won’t die overnight. Maybe years down the line, but certainly not as soon as next year or even the year after that.

• Hi. I’m the owner of [insert name of company that makes & sells VCR tapes for movie studios], and I would like to sue the DVD Forum.
  • Why?
  • Because with DVDs, nobody wants to buy VCR tapes! The movie studios are having XYZ company make DVDs to sell at the local store, and I’m no longer getting any business from them to make VCR tapes to sell at the local stores!
  • Okay…
  • This is an outrage! Because of the DVD, I, as a VCR maker, am losing money!
  • I’m sorry to hear that, but I’d love to see you try to argue that in front of a jury.

You can’t get BD recording stuff? That means that BD is not ready to take over, and you don’t have to worry. All you gotta do is to educate your customers and let them realize that BD isn’t quite ready yet. And if BD is indeed ready to bring the DVD market to its knees, then believe me, you’ll be able to get BD equipment easily.

and this discussion is continuing for what reason?

good luck with the lawsuit mate…:rolleyes:

"The first Blu-Ray recorders are already on the market, but for consumer electronics makers it will be 2006 or 2007 before we see the first pre-recorded blue laser DVD disks," Buma said.

The Hollywood studios are in no hurry to decide which format they will accept, happy to ride the wave of the red laser DVD for a few more years.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/03/30/rtr1316620.html

TOKYO - Jan. 7, 2004 - (BusinessWire) -Toshiba Corporation today announced development of a prototype high-definition DVD player that can play high-definition DVD discs and current DVDs. The player features a single-lens optical head mechanism that integrates both red and blue laser diodes, assuring support for both the next-generation “HD DVD-ROM” format (version 0.9) recently approved by the DVD Forum and backward compatibility with today’s DVD ROM discs. The new player points the way to a commercial product that will allow fans of DVD to enjoy the richer image quality of HD DVD while protecting their current investment in DVD software libraries.

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php?story=20040106221844986

Originally posted by Vanderlow
[B]"The first Blu-Ray recorders are already on the market, but for consumer electronics makers it will be 2006 or 2007 before we see the first pre-recorded blue laser DVD disks," Buma said.

The Hollywood studios are in no hurry to decide which format they will accept, happy to ride the wave of the red laser DVD for a few more years.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/03/30/rtr1316620.html

TOKYO - Jan. 7, 2004 - (BusinessWire) -Toshiba Corporation today announced development of a prototype high-definition DVD player that can play high-definition DVD discs and current DVDs. The player features a single-lens optical head mechanism that integrates both red and blue laser diodes, assuring support for both the next-generation “HD DVD-ROM” format (version 0.9) recently approved by the DVD Forum and backward compatibility with today’s DVD ROM discs. The new player points the way to a commercial product that will allow fans of DVD to enjoy the richer image quality of HD DVD while protecting their current investment in DVD software libraries.

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php?story=20040106221844986 [/B]

either way they will be backwords compatable with current dvds. by the time they are popular there will be recorders as there are now.

Screw technology…I’m going to stick with my BETA player and my IBM PET…at least until my lawsuits are settled with Microsoft and VCR manufacturers. That otta learn 'em!! :smiley:

Originally posted by Hawseman
Screw technology…I’m going to stick with my BETA player and my IBM PET…at least until my lawsuits are settled with Microsoft and VCR manufacturers. That otta learn 'em!! :smiley:

LOL!:bigsmile:

Originally posted by Rimmer66
[B]I do a thing on the side, I have clients calling me to request DVD services (transferring their old formats to DVD)… Ever since this article was released i’ve been getting calls from LIVID customers asking me to transfer to BLURAY! ARE THEY CRAZY??? I told them the technology isn’t out yet and not available as of yet, and I’ve been VICIOUSLY insulted ALL the possible and worst insults you can imagine.

I will SUE Sony, NEC and whoever the hell came up with this new technology, on the accounts that I am losing business over this deal. [/B]

your clients are stupid. even more so if they insult you over such an issue. either that or you raged at them just the way you did here and in that case I can clearly understand them. :stuck_out_tongue:
if you ever took a look at the technology market, you would know that new technology gets released very quickly, but doesn’t take over the market anywhere as quick.
in addition to that, I somehow doubt that the new format will not be backward compatible in any way, as that would take away a gigantic market for the new players.

just chill. and educate your clients :wink:

Who cares if they change to Blue-Ray technology. It just means I am able to keep more of my movies on one disc than several discs. Just go with the flow. DVDs will be here for a long time, heck, I still have a pop-up vcr that works, lol.:cool:

Hey I got caught up in the whole Laser Disk thing in the early 90’s.
I now have 2 very good laser players and about 20 or 30 movies.
I was pissed when dvd came out as well, suddenly I had a format that was fully copy protected and just as suddenly ALL of my sources for laser rentals died, like within 6 months.
Well I got a DVD player finally and I haven’t looked back since. The video quality is now as good as laser in most ways and the extras and sound blow the format away plus you don’t have to flip the disk or wait for the machine to autoreverse itself.
ALSO the movies are dirt cheap for more stuff, too bad the music industry still hasn’t figured that one out.
I now have over 200 movies I bought myself and the copy protection is a non issue now :slight_smile:
I have maybe less then 100 audio cd’s and those few laser movies.
I had to adapt and as was just said I can get a combo player when the time comes or keep my best dvd player and only upgrade the movies that offer better anything to make it worth while.
You need to mellow out, your going to blow a gasket and vapor lock at the rate your going.