The DVD format war - Should you go plus or minus?

I just posted the article The DVD format war - Should you go plus or minus?.

If you want to buy a DVD recorder, you will need to choose between two DVD recordable formats, or you can buy a dual format recorder. In this article we try to give you advise on what kind of recorder you should buy from a consumers perspective.

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/202-The-DVD-format-war---Should-you-go-plus-or-minus/](http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/202-The-DVD-format-war---Should-you-go-plus-or-minus/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Honestly you really need to tell your readers that unless they are in the market to buy a brand new stand-alone DVD player they should go with a recordable format that there current stand-alone can play. Otherwise it is misleading, a reader may very well go out and buy a DVD+ recorder to find that what he/she has recorded in + can’t be played by their DVD- player. I myself bought a Pioneer A05, becasue my current DVD theatre system only supports minus as does all older gen players.

Really? A DVD player that cannot play DVD+ media? Then you should give up your player instead of giving up DVD+ format.

I have never found any player that doesnt play both formats. To me the compatibility thing seems to be a myth. The only time I run into problems is with PC DVD Roms. Also how about mentioning recording speeds +R does do at least 2.4x wher you can be stuck with 1x with DVD-R (though not much anymore)

One correction: The first LiteOn DVD burner will be DVD+ only. Model LDW-401S. At the projected price for this drive of under $200, it may well have a big impact on the format war. It’s not clear if LiteOn still plans to offer a dual-format burner, but the LDW-401S will have a dual-format capable chipset. :B

No big deal My Sony burns both.My first generation Yamaha DVD-S700 will play both +/- R but neither +/- RW so I went and bought a cheap new Sony DVD player for 80.00 and it plays ALL ! Problem solved !!:B

Well, I’m fairly new to burning DVD’s but sofar both formats work on any standalone player I have tried [from expensive to cheap]. I bought the Sony and it doesn’t always like the DVD brands I try on it, so this seems more trouble to me than the playability. The only problem I got was an older DVD-Rom player who didn’t like DVD+R’s [NEC in this case]. I use both -R/RW and +R/RW. I like the +RW the best because it is the fastest, formats in seconds, 2.4x instead of 1x [If you dont pay attention to the version of the -RW]. For -R and +R, I don’t have a preference to either, the cheapest that work are fine…:slight_smile:

Well im just gonna wait untill liteons dvd burner is available before i go out buying one. i’ve had a few cd-burners and my liteon was way the best.

When i owned a +r recorder i found that the majority of standalones wouldnt play them, so switched to -r and not had aproblem since. With regard to -r 1x writing i think you will find that with the new firmware releases most -r writers now write at 2x and some even at 4x:g

Actually, DVD-R isn’t limited to just 1x… depends on both your burner and your media. Also, Lite-On’s Dual Format burner model number is LDW-400D for those interested.

Yesterday, Lite-on released their first DVD recorder in the dual mode form, a rebaged Sony! Boy am I disappointed… why buy Lite-on when the Sony is cheaper and has " Brand Identity" ? Now I have to research all over again…:r

:c Your conclusion was … NO CONCLUSION at all. Very bad. There is only one writer, the Sony which records both formats, so what you have said is, you don’t see any reason not to buy a Sony. Good advertisement. The other DVD writers are vaporware, they don’t EXIST !! Whether you burn in -R and +R format, it should play on all DVD players. So blow some money and only buy the Sony, great conclusions. You must get demos at cdfreaks.

Is it true that only DVD- format can backup Playstation 2 discs?

I’m sorry but you are wrong, currently many manufacturers have released dual format writers -> LG, Lite-On, Cendyne, Verbatim, NEC, Teac, Iomega, TDK and a lot more…

I have a memorex DVD+RW/+R Here is my question can I burn on a DVD-R Or am I only able to use DVD+R Which have been working but there is more sales on the DVD-R then the plus . I can more then likely play them both on my player which is made to play all burned DVD’s and CD’s thank you . :g

[edited by G@M3FR3@K on 23.06.2003 22:11]

[edited by G@M3FR3@K on 23.06.2003 22:11]

I have a memorex DVD+RW/+R Here is my question can I burn on a DVD-R Or am I only able to use DVD+R Which have been working but there is more sales on the DVD-R then the plus . I can more then likely play them both on my player which is made to play all burned DVD’s and CD’s thank you . :g

Sorry I dont know why it did that I only clicked it once :stuck_out_tongue:

If you have a DVD+R(W) burner you cannot burn DVD-R(W). There are some rumours that the NEC ND-1100A (+) can be flashed to an ND-1300A (±) but as of yet no-one has successfully done so. The above case is the only one I know of, other DVD+R(W) drives will always be limited to recording DVD+R(W) media only.