The DVD conspiracy theory

I have an HDTV and love the picture, but I have noticed something. Older DVD’s look FANTASTIC on it. No blur or anything. But, newer DVD’s look like they aren’t as clear. Am I the only one that has noticed this? Is it possible that HDDVD and Blueray are trying to make their products look more superior than they really are?

That is my conspiracy theory on DVD’s.

[QUOTE=phocis850;1968019]I have an HDTV and love the picture, but I have noticed something. Older DVD’s look FANTASTIC on it. No blur or anything. But, newer DVD’s look like they aren’t as clear. Am I the only one that has noticed this? [B]Is it possible that HDDVD and Blueray are trying to make their products look more superior than they really are?

That is my conspiracy theory on DVD’s.[/B][/QUOTE]

[B]LOL!![/B] :bigsmile:

The problem is with your “TV”.
“I have an HDTV” means what exactly? Native resolution, brand/model, which HDMI connections, and what exactly is the content/source you have compared?

[quote=chef;1968140][B]LOL!![/B] :bigsmile:

The problem is with your “TV”.
“I have an HDTV” means what exactly? Native resolution, brand/model, which HDMI connections, and what exactly is the content/source you have compared?[/quote]

Yep, your correct, it’s my TV :rolleyes:

Why not try and read my post again.

Being all factors are the same except the date the DVD was released. I believe you can notice a small difference in quality, especially focusing.

back then it was quality. today its quantity (imho).

In a nutshell it all boils down to the original source and the time and cost restraints of remastering.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=phocis850;1968285]Yep, your correct, it’s my TV :rolleyes:

Why not try and read my post again.

Being all factors are the same except the date the DVD was released. I believe you can notice a small difference in quality, especially focusing.[/QUOTE]

What would be the sense in HD stuff like BD & HDDVD if there wewre no improvement over DVD and other more “limited formats”???

Regarding your “conspiracy theory”, its really some kind of thoughts & conclusions I cannot follow. :smiley:

[B]DVD titles/movies are produced & authored each other differently. IMO, we simply cannot compare apples with oranges.[/B]

BTW, your post/topic is really not related to this HD subforum.

It’s all a load of crap. HD DVDs look great on 1080i HDTVs. But I mean if you have a 720p or soothing like that. There’s no need for HDMI ports and crap like that. I mean my DVD collection looks great on my screen.

[QUOTE=chef;1968446]

BTW, your post/topic is really not related to this HD subforum.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, it seems that e.g. this user does not see any difference between a normal DVD and HD content, that’s actually pretty intresting. I’ve seen the difference so many times, and I find it pretty obvious but others might feel different which is, at least to me interesting. Maybe we can find out why they feel HD does not differ so much from DVD, I do know that on some content the difference is much clearer than on other content…

[QUOTE=chef;1968446]
[B]DVD titles/movies are produced & authored each other differently. IMO, we simply cannot compare apples with oranges.[/B]
[/QUOTE]
I agree here, it depends on the original quality of the video and the manufacturing process. It is the input quality, not the TV as someone suggested. If you get a very good quality with some DVDs and not others, it isn’t the TV or the DVD player, it is the source of the video.

You definitely have something here. I have an expensive hd tv with 1080 so i know it is not the tv. I remember that dvds used to be crystal clear and now a days when you watch an ordinary dvd you can see fuzz which doesn’t even make sense it looks as though the fuzz has been added purposefully. Fuzz is one of the reasons that dvds replaced vhs. I too think that the dvd companies are degrading the quality of dvds in order to promote their ridiculously over priced blue ray and hd dvds.
I have herd no one in the media speak out about this. Probably because they are all in on the take.

[quote=iceangler99;2198549]You definitely have something here. I have an expensive hd tv with 1080 so i know it is not the tv. I remember that dvds used to be crystal clear and now a days when you watch an ordinary dvd you can see fuzz which doesn’t even make sense it looks as though the fuzz has been added purposefully. Fuzz is one of the reasons that dvds replaced vhs. I too think that the dvd companies are degrading the quality of dvds in order to promote their ridiculously over priced blue ray and hd dvds.
I have herd no one in the media speak out about this. Probably because they are all in on the take.[/quote]

It only took 9 months, but at least someone else has noticed.

I have a very keen eye for detail, as I do graphic design.
My tv is still not the problem.

Anyone else want to think I’m not crazy? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=phocis850;2199313]It only took 9 months, but at least someone else has noticed.

Anyone else want to think I’m not crazy? :p[/QUOTE]

You haven’t provided any info on your HT setup, so nobody can really comment much about your own personal experiences. However, there is one glaring possibility that you may not be thinking through.

You used to think DVDs looked real good. Then you started watching HD video, then DVDs didn’t look very good any more. I don’t think that’s such a revelation or even unexpected. Certainly not food for conspiracy theories. Your perception simply changed.

There’s never any shortage of poorly mastered DVDs around, in fact they are the norm and not the exception. The same is also true of BD and HD-DVD, although it’s less obvious.

My recommendation to you is that you re-think your system and get yourself a top-tier DVD player that will upscale and de-interlace DVD to 1080p. The Oppo players, the DVDO-Edge and some of the really high-end hardware will do this, and DVDs look terrific even on large screens. Obviously, a quality monitor that is carefully calibrated is also required.

^ I have had the same setup for over 2 years now and I don’t need to revisit what my perception may be. More and more newer dvd’s are coming in with a “less sharp” picture. I can put in an old DVD at it looks phenomenal. I understand that there are many different elements that can be at play, (director, equipment used to film…).

Maybe, just maybe, they have upgraded recording equipment to HD (I know they have), and maybe because they are recording at a higher quality than 480, then they are using equipment to downgrade the quality of the recording to be 480p. This would cause a lack of clarity and sharpness correct?

I don’t think it so much of a conspiracy as its the fact, the same studios will compromise quality if it means saving even a cent or two per disk. Poorly produced disks, even from the biggest studios, goes beyond video quality into all kinds of mastering errors and playback problems. Constantly changing copy protection throws another monkey wrench into the works (they are constantly trying to hack new copy protections that are not part of the official format into the disks and it can cause image issues).

As far as dvd being close to as good as blueray, since the fall of hd-dvd, Toshiba seems willing to bet that it can be nearly as good. I think a lot of that has to do with the original source video, and your hardware’s ability to do a good job up scaling it.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007476.html

[QUOTE=phocis850;2199313]It only took 9 months, but at least someone else has noticed.

Anyone else want to think I’m not crazy? :p[/QUOTE]

Actually, I thought I was going mad… I thought the same. It seems since Blu-ray won the wars that standard DVD’s are being “dumbed-down”…

Although I’ve upgraded to a HDTV, I also have a HD DLP projector and the quality was great. But some recent titles I had purchased looked VERY grainy… to the point I had to check my lens, projection screen, etc… all of which are fine.

So my conclusion is - whether correct or not - that they are dumbing down the standard DVD to “help” people make the decision to go to blu-ray…

But hey… it’s not like anyone is going to say “yes, we are doing this…” is it?.. :wink:

I would suggest that these days movie studios are cramming more content onto DVD’s in terms of special features, thereby stealing bitrate from the main movie, and allocating to additional special features.

Since there is lower bitrate, the clarity is lost.

It’s not so much a conspiracy as a bunch of cheap bastards cramming as much into a container as possible.

I’d liken it to cramming bread into a crate … it’s designed for 6 loaves of bread … but you cram in 7 … It’s all in there, and you’ve lowered costs … but what you get at the end is a bunch of low quality / sub-par quality loaves of bread :stuck_out_tongue:

Especially movies that have the 16:9 and 4:3 on the same DVD.

My old DVD’s and new ones all look great. But I use a Pioneer DV-400V player and a Pioneer PDP 5010FD Plasma TV. They both use 1080P(the only real HD resolution) upconverting with HDMI. Even my HTPC connected to the VGA port looks great with MYHD 130 Tuner card showing terrestrial and cable digital HD.