The dual channel difference

Hi,

I just got a new motherboard and CPU. Unfortunately I only have one DDR stick in right now so I have to run in single channel mode.
At normal clock speed, I checked some CPU benchmarks in Sandra and my CPU seems to be on par with a 2.8B

Will this change once I add add another stick of DDR and start running in dual channel mode?

I noticed when I bumped up the FSB 5% . Everything was okay temp wise but the computer seemed less responsive??

I haven’t had a dual channel P4 board that could run in single channel mode (from 840 to 850 to 875) and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whats happening.

Thanks

Will this change once I add add another stick of DDR and start running in dual channel mode?

Your CPU won’t run a single bit faster, but the access to data in the memory should be a lot faster, so yes, the overall system perfomance will increase.

Although dual channel memory is a nice technique, you should not expect to much from it. It does good to your system performance, but your memory perfomance doesn’t increase with a 100%. Even not with 50%. It kind of depends on the applications you are running, but a 10% gain is more than optimistic enough.

I noticed when I bumped up the FSB 5% . Everything was okay temp wise but the computer seemed less responsive??

This should not be happening. The only thing I can think of that causes this, is that your BIOS didn’t lock the PCI and AGP bus at x33Mhz clockspeed, resulting in a component that can’t handle the too high clockspeed. See if your BIOS has a function to lock the AGP/PCI bus clockspeed!

After running another synthetic benchmark at the normal clock speed I get the same marks as the 2.8C reviewed at sharkeyextreme.

After a while i noticed the system was a little unresponsive even at normal clock speed. When i say unresponive, I don’t mean hanging. I mean it would take an extra few seconds for IE or another app to launch. I turned off system restore and so far the problem has not returned. The memory benchmark is at 2900 I should be getting around 3200 for single channel … but this is real crappy ram…

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I get neurotic with new components. I always think the ones I get are the bad one of the bunch and I start looking for any signs of a problem.

i really need to get to sleep :slight_smile: