The Drive or the Media? (Lite-On DH-20A4H)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DH-20A4H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a problem burning DVD+R DL disks. The movies have occasional “jumps, skips and pauses” upon playback. I am using Phillips DVD+R DL in either a Lite On SHW-160P6S or the DH-20A4H. Is the problem from the drive or the media? (both?)

Also, I have a similar problem when I write to Scratch-Less CD-R media.

What I would like to know:

What DVD+R burner or media is “best” for (near) perfect Dual Layer DVDs?
What CD-R burner or media is “best” for burning Scratch-Less CD-Rs

I am a librarian, and currently check out the backup copy to patrons. I keep the originals in a file on site. (Yes, my budget is so minimal that I cannot afford to replace original media. No, I cannot mandate fines. It is a church library. )

Welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

Verbatim DL media is the only safe bet currently for trouble free burns. Any other DL discs (this includes Philips) are pretty much hit or miss, and your playback problems sound like media problems to me.

As for the Scratch-Less CDRs, unfortunately I’ve never come across them personally. Though it doesn’t help that LiteOn drives aren’t the best at burning CDRs (having said that, you can try burning the CDRs at say, 16x).

Hopefully other members will provide more input/opinions :slight_smile:

Posting a DL burn log might give a better idea. Do you check these prior to burning?

Double post

As far a media is concerned, using Verbatim DVD+R DL media ( Made In Singapore ) is the preferred choice. Booktyped to DvD-Rom.

Single layer media weather it’s DvD or CD I would recommend Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.

What speed are you burning at?

What program are you using to burn the dual layer?

Error log?

My guess is that it’s a combination of burning to fast and the media.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=mrhealthpatriot;2168016][qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DH-20A4H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a problem burning DVD+R DL disks. The movies have occasional “jumps, skips and pauses” upon playback. I am using Phillips DVD+R DL in either a Lite On SHW-160P6S or the DH-20A4H. Is the problem from the drive or the media? (both?)

Also, I have a similar problem when I write to Scratch-Less CD-R media.

What I would like to know:

What DVD+R burner or media is “best” for (near) perfect Dual Layer DVDs?
What CD-R burner or media is “best” for burning Scratch-Less CD-Rs

I am a librarian, and currently check out the backup copy to patrons. I keep the originals in a file on site. (Yes, my budget is so minimal that I cannot afford to replace original media. No, I cannot mandate fines. It is a church library. )[/QUOTE]

I have a 20A4H as you have but dont know what firmware updated you have? I know from burning experiences with liteon units the skips, jumps, and pauses are results of burning to fast to the media espically for DL media I choose the settings of 2-2.4x for DL just to improve the burns. And as well media does play a role in how burns come out but if your multitasking when burning you can also expect the jumps, skips, and pauses to result as the end product of the burns.

I use AnyDVD and Clone DVD2 to make a back up copy. I usually burn DVDs at 6x with Clone DVD2. I haven’t looked at the logs. Where are they?