The difficulty of the timing of a new PC in 2012/2013

I’m in the market for a new laptop. I would like an Ultrabook, with only an SSD (no caching) and preferably 8 GB of RAM. But they are so incredibly expensive at the moment.

And when you consider that Haswell chips should become available in 2013, SSDs will get cheaper and faster in 2013, displays will likely also get better and better and prices of Ultrabooks might go down because they become more popular, then grrr it’s so difficult to decide when it’s time for that new computer.

Anyone else facing the same issues when purchasing a new computer?

[QUOTE=RexHunt;2665902]I’m in the market for a new laptop. I would like an Ultrabook, with only an SSD (no caching) and preferably 8 GB of RAM. But they are so incredibly expensive at the moment.

And when you consider that Haswell chips should become available in 2013, SSDs will get cheaper and faster in 2013, displays will likely also get better and better and prices of Ultrabooks might go down because they become more popular, then grrr it’s so difficult to decide when it’s time for that new computer.

Anyone else facing the same issues when purchasing a new computer?[/QUOTE]

Not me I will be in the market for used laptops for years to come. You spend all that money and what do you do just Skype and text and browse the internet? That is a total waste of money IMO when a used laptop will more then suffice for most computing needs only GAMERS and Core Apps users require all that power and even then there are big trade off … ie Weight, Repairs, Thefts. You will never buy enough to keep up with the trends that is something everyone should think about when buying laptops or desktops. And research and do your own independent reviews and evaluate on your cost/benefit of what did you really buy the laptop for? Unless your heavy into gaming a Game Laptop will cost you but you get the extra power when you need it. But nothing comes without more cost or sacrifices. I might buy a new one “Gaming Laptop” that is because of the games nowdays requirements otherwise a laptop with webcam and i3 or AMD quad higher with Intel HD would suffice and or mid range with ATI, Nvidia GPU for more demanding apps. We shouldn’t kidd ourselves thinking we can get the latest and more up to date hardware. Your current hardware will more then suffice-I have laptops from 2009 with Windows7 on them and they are perfectly fine and working of which one I am using right now to reply back to this posting. As for going SSD I say unless you want to go for it HDD still king when comes to laptop storage and price. Yes, it does load faster and run cooler but what did you really gain?? Also I heard stories where a dead SSD is basically dead no recovering of files or data but HDD could still be revived to at least get the data/files off before trashing it. So til there is a way to recover dead data from SSD - I will stay away from SSD for long as possible. If you want ultra ask yourself what are you going to do or use it for that would benefit you for the long run?

The biggest upgrade I expect to do with my laptop is to swap-in an SSD
when I can get a 512gb SSD for a reasonable price

As prices are dropping I have a reasonable expectation of seeing
a 512gb for <$250 within the next 9-12months.

Aside from the obvious reasons, of wanting an SSD
newer/better/faster CPU’s are not materially "Better"
than the T8300 C2D I already have for 98% of the
things that I (and anybody else) actually do with a notebook.

and rebuying all the accessories for my notebook (case car charger etc…)
doesn’t appeal to me even without considering the prices the new
thinner-lighter notebooks command.

When buying a computer, there’s always another big thing, whether its a new chip, graphics card, or OS around the corner. What you need to ask yourself is what you need the laptop for. If you are doing web surfing, Office stuff, Facebook, Skype, and/or e-mail, a core 2 Duo or i5/i7 mobile chip will suffice. Sure Haswell will be faster and probably use less power. But they are going to charge a premium for it, just like they did for the i7 chips when they first came out. Add to that the potential for problems with a new chip and you are probably better off buying an i5 or i7 system. If the prices hold true to form, you will probably find a better deal in January or February just before they switch to a new series of chips and no one has money for anything so they slash prices.

I’d like an ultrabook as well as a lot of the world. But manufacturers have priced them at a level where they are only affordable to those willing to pay a premium for portability. I’d probably go with a 13" or 14" regular laptop instead.

Personally I’m waiting for ultrabooks to get the high DPI screens seen on MBPs then I’m buying in…