The difference between SOHD-16P9S and SOHD-16P9SV?

They seem very identical drives. The later one is newer of course and still we dont have any firmware updates or patched ones. What is your opinion? Have you test the latest dvd-rom drive from LiteOn?

All it takes is someone dumping the firmware…

where is this 16p9sv? i don’t see one on newegg

That’s why we have Google: [google=16P9SV]16P9SV[/google] :rolleyes:

Can i send it to you or do you have it already? :slight_smile:

Hello Folks,

Forum Member th3m in posting #1 inquired about the differences between SOHD-16P9S and SOHD-16P9SV and the possibility of patched firmware.

Form Member code65536 in posting #2 stated it only takes someone dumping the firmware.

Forum Member Hemispasm in posting #5 asks “Can I send it to you or do you have it already?”

It appears the Forum Member Hemispasm question has gone unnoticed.

I am inquiring if anyone has actually looked at the SOHD-16P9SV firmware and the possibility of this firmware being patched for use in the SOHD-16P9S to provide improvement in the SOHD-16P9S performance.

Best Regards,
bjkg

bjkg, code65536 and I do have a real life as well you know. :wink: Hemispasm’s post is only 1 day old and it is the weekend. Well it was the weekend, it’s Monday here now. :wink:

Re the crossflash, I don’t know. I have to believe that there’s a hardware change of some description but I won’t be able to tell from the firmware. Some brave person will have to try it. :wink:

Hemispasm, thanks, if you could that would be great. :slight_smile: I thought I had F$01 but for some reason I can’t find it this morning. It might be on my laptop at home but if you could sent it as well, I’d appreciate it.

I’ll create the read speed patch file as soon as I get/find the firmware (if it still works with this firmware). :wink:

I’ll send it after work tomorrow :slight_smile:

@ C0deKing,

My intension in my posting was to “Bump” Forum Member Hemispasm offer of providing SOHD-16P9SV firmware so that you, Forum Member code65536, or whoever was aware that that the firmware was available.

My intension was not meant to imply that you or any other Forum Member was lazy or asleep at the wheel.

Your posting tone makes it appear that you believe that I expect the CodeGuys to be ‘On Duty’ 24/7/365. I am well aware that Forum Members have a life other than the Forum.

As I stated it appeared that Forum Member Hemispasm offer of providing SOHD-16P9SV firmware had gone unnoticed and my postings meant nothing more. You are certainly reading entirely more into my posting than it was meant to be.

Best Regards,
bjkg

^ hehehe…you’re writing in forum, not an email or letter :smiley:

bjkg, I’m sorry if I misread the intention of your post. I guess I’m just used to seeing the word “Bump”. :wink:

Okay, I found the F$01 firmware for the 16P9SV. Had to change the patcher to make it work, as a couple of things had changed in the read speed area of this firmware.

Remember this is experimental. I don’t have this drive and the patcher has had to be modified.

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SOHD-16P9SV

Hemi, if you could still send me your firmware, so I can make sure that the one I have is the same and not corrupt in any way. Thanks.

@ C0deKing,

Perchance when you were working on the SOHD-16P9SV firmware did you find any evidence that this firmware might increase the performance of the SOHD-16PS?

Best Regards,
bjkg

Unfortunately it’s not the easiest thing to see. There are 190,000+ lines of code, most of which mean nothing to look at because they just write things to addresses in the chipset. The most likely difference would be a different PUH/OPU and the firmware will have been modified to set the correct power levels, focus and gain, which means it would probably perform worse in the 16P9S model.

The other possibility is that it’s a hardware change to the tray or disc mechanism, in which case it may still work, unless the motors have to work backwards.

@ C0deKing,

I known that you CodeGuys have taken many LiteOn firmwares and worked on crossing flashing to enable the newer firmware to provide performance improvements. I had hoped that possibly the SOHD-16P9SV firmware used in the SOHD-16P9S would in some way ‘improved’ the performance of the SOHD-16P9S.

It appears that firmware coding is more complicated than I had thought. I have gotten use to the CodeGuys doing magic with LiteOn firmware that I had forgotten how difficult modifying firmware is.

Thank you for your work on the SOHD-16P9SV firmware. I am sure that owners of the SOHD-16P9SV will appreciate your work.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Code sorry i havent forgotten - its just that i am also waiting for a friend to send it to me too (he recently bought the drive) but he hasnt done so yet. I will send it as soon as i get it :slight_smile:

Thanks for that. Pity though - when I thought you owned the drive, I thought you would be a good tester for the patched version. :wink:

@all
Here’s something the “pimposh” brought to my attention today:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=153661

Going by what “fatfeel” says the “V” may indicate that it uses the new IDE method/hardware that gets around Zorron’s IDE patent…

Has anyone tried the patched version yet?

I tried it. It works very well i think. The rip speed increased. What tests should i do?

Works for me as well. Thanks a lot.