The difference between DVD-R and DVD+R

vbimport

as Gary Kokkin pointed out already, this thread and most all threads like this one are a waste of everyone’s time…Seacrest OUT!!! lol

I received this by e-mail yesterday from one of my media suppliers :

Dear Customer,

Advantages of DVD+R over DVD-R

1. DVD+R is a newer standard than DVD-R and is the format that has the industry heavyweights behind it i.e. HP, Philips, SONY, Pioneer etc.

2. DVD+R and DVD+RW can be read on all but the oldest DVD Players, DVD Burners and games consoles without a problem and often outperform even the best DVD-R discs.

3. Market research show that DVD+R format is expected to overtake DVD-R production in the next year and it’s already the format of choice in Western Europe (Germany, Scandanavia, Benelux) with over 60% of discs sold being the DVD+R format.

4. DVD+R video performance is generally better than DVD-R with faster chapter skipping, more consistent performance with better error handling. This stringent quality is built on technological advancements of it’s creator, Philips - the inventor of the CD. As only the largest manufacturers are licensed by Philips to make it, the quality of DVD+R tends to be much better than that of DVD-R.

5. DVD+R discs will burn at the rated speed without generally any changes required to the firmware. As only the top manufacturers are making the majority of the world’s output of DVD+R, compatability is guaranteed on almost all new NEC’s, Pioneers, SONY, Lite On’s etc.

6. Almost all the major drive manufacturers support +R and if you have bought a drive in the last 2 years, chances are your burner will support +R.

7. DVD+R disc are no more expensive than DVD-R discs and in some cases are even better value. Discs such as the Ridisc 4X DVD+R (Ricoh code) can quite happily burn at 8X without any drop of quality. 8X DVD+R Discs such as the Datawrite/Datasafe/Bulkpaq/Titanium (MCC/prodisc dye) can quite happily burn at 12X which offers incredibly “bang for the buck”.

8. Forever at the forefront of technology, Philips - inventor of DVD+R - has championed DVD+R as the replacement to CD-R. This is why DVD+R was the format that was first to market 16X, Dual Layer, 8x Rewritable discs and soon 16X DVD+RW.

9. DVD+R/DVD+RW discs are now fast becoming the standard for set top DVD recorders from the likes of SONY, Philips etc. DVD+R W is slated to be the replacement for the VHS tape.

Pioneer etc.

Pioneer is very much a backer of -R

Dell | HP | Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation | Philips Electronics
Ricoh Company, Ltd. | Sony Corporation | Thomson multimedia
Yamaha Corporation

Is the +R alliance according to www.dvdrw.com

Doesn’t really matter … both work great with good quality disks. And both are crap when using poor quality disks.

:iagree: I agree totally. I couldn’t have said it better myself. Well, maybe I could have, but this is easier. :iagree:

please dont turn this into a warzone, -R already has bitsetting built-in on the medium, +R you need to “bitsetting” for some player to play. But it all comes down to what equipment you have. If you have players that like +R media, then stick with +R media and if you have equipments that like -R better, then -R media are for you

Merged about 10 threads covering the same topic…

I use +r almost exclusively - because I like it better - don’t know why, and the NEC’s I have at home and work, work much better with +r’s than -r’s using NEC official firmware. Compatability has never been an issue for me, and for the most part is now well overblown - cheap £40 players accept all +r I try in them and I have never bit-set - not that nero supports it (this from memory) and I use 5.5.xx.xx.

+R is far superior technically, but the advanced auto-repair feature (?) is not implemented, so doesn’t really matter.

Two things are of note:

1. most +r is better quality than -r - that seems to be fact.

2. some large iso’s/img’s will not burn to the best quality +r media (TY in my case) but are fine with lesser quality -r. This, as mentioned in the forum some weeks back, seems to be due to the spec of -r and +r - -r has slightly higher capacity than +r (50 MB’s or so from memory). This may make a small difference every once in a while - not really a problem for me, as I burn small files and hardly any images.

:iagree: I agree totally. I couldn’t have said it better myself. Well, maybe I could have, but this is easier. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

I agree totally with your agreement to what rugger had said in the original post…

OK, If +R & -R are about the same, (under same brand, same speed rate, same price, and now we know same quality and compatibility), I’ll go for the -R, Only because I like the -R logo better than the “RW” for the +Rs.

just my $0.02

I still prefer +R but I agree -R has a better logo. :iagree:
In fact, +R logo has a serious problem. Many newbies buys +R disc and surprises to find it has a “+RW” logo.

i prefer dvd+r myself simply because of the ability to booktype.

i’ve had several friends say to me, “i bought a spindle of dvd+rs and when i opened them up, they were actually dvd+rws, but how come i can’t erase them?”

For the past year or so I’ve been using DVD-R for movies and DVD+R for data. This is because my home player (only about 18 months old but a cheapie) wouldn’t play anything I burnt on +R’s, it always just displayed “no disc”. The +R’s I burnt would play on my friends players but not on mine. :frowning:

Anyway I’ve just flashed “alternate” firmware for my Pioneer 108 which forces the booktype of +R’s to dvd-rom and now I can finally play +R’s on my home player. So I no longer need to keep two different types of media, horray!.

Just one question though. The original firmware from Pioneer didn’t allow any booktype setting whereas the new “piodata” firmware always forces the booktype of +R media to dvd-rom. I dont have any control over it, it just does it as default. Could this ever be a problem? Are there any reasons why I would want to leave the booktype as DVD+R and not bitset it to dvd-rom. I hope not because I dont have that option without reverting to the original firmware.

BTW. The thread describing my problem with +R’s and the eventual resolution is here :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=136746

Are there any reasons why I would want to leave the booktype as DVD+R and not bitset it to dvd-rom. I hope not because I dont have that option without reverting to the original firmware.

In a word… No

You may want to use the DVD+R booktype so older DVD-ROM drives do not try and read it at 16 speed, causing errors and slowdowns.

I am new to this, and I don’t really know the significance of DVD-R and DVD+R Blank DVD Discs, and difference between them - which is better???

Also, I bought a 5-pack of SONY DVD-R’s to try out in burning movies - they are 4.7 GB, 120 min. DVD’s, but the package says they are made in Taiwan…The MEDIA ID is: SONY04D1.

BTW, I noticed that at the store I purchased these, the equivalent SONY DVD+R’s there were the same exact price (5-pack)…

Any help/suggestions from our resident experts here?

Thanks a bunch!!

trekkin2k5

I am new to this, and I don’t really know the significance of DVD-R and DVD+R Blank DVD Discs, and difference between them - which is better???

Please try http://club.cdfreaks.com/search.php? first

I know this is a very basic question. I just suddenly decided to buy a DVD writer as my niece in US will be coming back home next week. I don’t know anything about DVD format. I have read several FAQs about the difference but still don’t have any idea how they are different from each other.

This is from videohelp.com

DVD-R and DVD-RW
DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-R and DVD-RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).

DVD+R and DVD+RW
DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+R and DVD+RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).

As far as I can tell, the difference is only better compatibility of DVD-R with stand alone DVD player ?

I’m deciding to buy either BenQ 1620 (as 1640 unavailable), or NEC 3540.
I prefer BengQ after reading this forum, but I know BenQ can not write DVD-R . So, how important is it to miss this feature ? How DVD-R is implemented ? For what application ?

Which one do you recommend ? BenQ 1620 or NEC3540 ?
I like the speed and feature of NEC3540, but I like BenQ’s media compatibility, faster writing speed, and Scan feature.

Thanks.

Yeah, right. Over here we learn the answer to that basic question in kindergarten. :bigsmile: …It is a question frequently asked however.

As far as I can tell, the difference is only better compatibility of DVD-R with stand alone DVD player ?

Yes, unless the drive supports bitsetting of DVD+R to DVD-ROM then the compatibility is roughly equal. The BenQ does this with official firmware, and the NEC does it with unofficial firmware (but not with official firmware).

I’m deciding to buy either BenQ 1620 (as 1640 unavailable), or NEC 3540.
I prefer BengQ after reading this forum, but I know BenQ can not write DVD-R . So, how important is it to miss this feature ?

BenQ can certainly write DVD-R, it just doesn’t do it with as high quality as it writes DVD+R. Any burner will have media preferences in some way, so it’s more important to find out which media works well with a burner and then stick to that. You shouldn’t have any problems finding good media for either the BenQ 1620 or the NEC 3540.

Which one do you recommend ? BenQ 1620 or NEC3540 ?
I like the speed and feature of NEC3540, but I like BenQ’s media compatibility, faster writing speed, and Scan feature.

This is really not something we can answer for you (although some people will definitely be ready to swear that one is superior to the other in every way).

Personally I think both are excellent choices.

If you have two drive bays open or just have a CD-ROM drive, you could remove the CD-ROM and possibly get both drives. BenQ does seem to burn DVD+R best, but it also has full burn quality testing through DVDInfoPro or NeroCDSpeed, the latter being free. :wink: NewEgg usually has such low prices that both of those drives could cost you less than a Plextor 716a. Plus, you’d have two drives to play with, burn with, and scan all the burns on the BenQ for sure to see which does best with your system.