The difference between DVD-R and DVD+R

vbimport

Where could I get this cstj firmware? Don’t know that I’d bother with it right now as I am quite happy using +r media, but it would be good to know how to get good -r burns on here if I ever want to. I’ve never done a firmware upgrade before.

Currently I’m using TDK dvd+r (CMCE01) with excellent PIF results. Most only go up to 2 and only the odd one up to 3. Nothing ever more then that. I’m having a bit of an odd time with the PI’s, but that is described in another thread.

+RW lasts longer. :slight_smile:

RW is not what i would put anything vauleable

i hate re writeable media

@ForeverLearning

well the cstj is for the 1653, but i have my 1633 same drive as the 1653 crossflashed to 1653cstj

check the liteon forum on the board here

Ah, okay. I’ll look around.

rpc1.org. They will either have it or direct you to where you can find it. :wink:

I have since flashed my 832s to the lastest firmware for this model. The VSOG.

ako the frozen ones are fine. I just wish there was some testing software for my NEC 2500a, to do those scan things people have. I would do some before and after to show the results. Alas there seems to be none.

Are you referring to Kprobe? You can alternatively use DVDInfoPro. It does the same thing Kprobe does and does it for any burner.

dvdinfopro does not work the same way a Kprobe, it gives lower errors than Kprobe & CD Speed and can not be used with any burner.

Lower errors? I was told at speedlabs.org that DVDInfoPro was the more advanced of the two between it and Kprobe and that Kprobe was pretty much an ancient tool and DVDInfoPro is better.

But would it work with a NEC 2500A, ako? As long as I say which programme I use surely those in the know would take that into account with the results. Where would I get it to test it out?

Other than that I am stuck for testing, no space to fit a DVD ROM plus I don’t have the brand mentioned in kprobe.

You can download at: www.dvdinfopro.com and as far as I know it works with NEC drives.

Who told you that? Same guy who told you -R lasts longer than +R? :slight_smile: Also… it doesn’t work with every burner.

RICOHJPNR01 DVD+R 4x media, burns excellent at 8x (with the right firmware) on the 832S. You can find it really cheap too. HERE is a link to some of it at Newegg.com. RICOHJPNR01 is actually considered, by many, to be the best media for the 832S. You can’t really go wrong with it. Good luck.

@Hitman - No, someone from speedlabs.org told me that about DVDInfoPro. The idiot that told me about dvd-r lasting longer then dvd+r was just an advocate for dvd-r. To your link…I can’t buy them as I’m in Australia. I used to buy those discs, but now I cannot find them in Australia anymore :frowning: So I’m stuck buying Ritek R02 or TDK dvd+r.

This doesn’t have anything to do with + or -, and you might already know about it, but if not… C0deKing’s firmware for the 832S makes a big difference on some media. You might give it a try. He originally looked at how the NEC3500’s firmware performed, and implemented some of the same things in his firmware.

This might be a too common question, but as far as quality goes which is better? This article claims that +r discs are better - http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113 If that’s the case, then why are most people using DVD-R dics with a dual format burner???

Survey says: DVD-R has a higher compatibility rate with standalone DVD players than DVD+R does, although personally, I’ve never had a problem with the pluses. I’ve never used DVD-Rs.

For the sake of everyones sanity please

Why, this could be fun…

The technical superiority of +R is clear … created after -R, they didn’t repeat the same mistakes.

In the main though, what you chhose is down to what your writer, and the target reader handle best.

eg. If your writer does a great job on +R, but can’t bitset it, and your target is a standalone player that can’t read +R unless it’s bitset, then you rule out +R.

As with almost all media issues, it’s down to what works for you - not sure if bitset +R is equal to or actually better than -R in stanadalone compatibility - without bitsetting, it’s definitely a worse choice for a standalone DVD player.