The difference between DVD-R and DVD+R

vbimport

After reading this 8 pages thread and few articles related to this thread about DVD-R and DVD+R this is my conclusion as end user perspective.
IF your DVD players and DVD burners can support BOTH DVD-R & DVD+R formats, and the price of DVD-R & DVD+R disc are the same then you should go with DVD+R for better quality. Otherwise it’s okay to use what ever you have. Please correct me if my conclusion was wrong.

[QUOTE=gjazz;2158642]Another really helpful thread!
I’ve generally bought -R as I found that most compatible, but tbh I don’t have a preference.
Atm I’m interested in data archival life, so I bought some Verbatim 16x -R.
-From their site, the -R says lifetime warranty >>>here<<<, the +R page doesn’t say this, does say highest level of recording stability but no lifetime warranty >>>here<<<

Just thought I’d throw that into the discussion. :)[/QUOTE]

:disagree:
:doh: I’ve just bought some of the DVD+Rs and they too have a lifetime guarantee, I’ve not yet heard back from verbatim but I wonder why it doesn’t say that on their website, so ignore that.

TWO years since this was posted! ANY new info on DVD-R Vs. DVD+R??

[QUOTE=tgeret49;2208410]TWO years since this was posted! ANY new info on DVD-R Vs. DVD+R??[/QUOTE] Woops,I guess there is one from late 2008,Gotta pay attention myself and go to “Next Thread”! DUH!:frowning:

now that it’s 2009 has this discussion changed in terms of which is the best overall media?..I’ve always read that DVD-R was best for video storage and DVD+R media was best for data/file storage…does this still applyy?

[QUOTE=TitusTroy;2306512]now that it’s 2009 has this discussion changed in terms of which is the best overall media?..I’ve always read that DVD-R was best for video storage and DVD+R media was best for data/file storage…does this still applyy?[/QUOTE]
I would be interested in any progress, as well. Right now, my only concern is to make long-lasting discs burned from ISO’s.

It is my intent (rightly, or wrongly) to go with Taiyo Yuden branded products (not the value line), and I do not need to print on them, other than with a Sharpie pen. So, is it [I]+R[/I] or [I]-R[/I]?

[QUOTE=TitusTroy;2306512]now that it’s 2009 has this discussion changed in terms of which is the best overall media?..I’ve always read that DVD-R was best for video storage and DVD+R media was best for data/file storage…does this still applyy?[/QUOTE]
Would also be interested to know this - is it still true that DVD-r has better compatability with standlone DVD players? All the posts referring to this issue seem to be from 2003/2004 - has the situation changed? I’ve always avoided DVD+r because it might not be as widely accepted in standalone players.

I seriously doubt you can buy any new DVD player today which doesn’t support single layer DVD+R and DVD-R.
Some of them may be really crappy and may only play really good media burned properly, however.

I’m not sure about dual/double layer DVD+/-R support, but in general the most widely supported will be DVD+R DL with booktype set to DVD-ROM during burning; most burners do that by default.

Things may be different for standalone DVD recorders. There can be a difference in which recording features are supported on + and - media, and there might be some recorder out there that doesn’t support both formats for recording. All of them should support both formats for playback, however. Check the manual of your DVD recorder if in doubt.

For an older DVD player, the compatibility hasn’t changed since that particular player was released - it won’t magically support a DVD format now that it didn’t support when it was released.

Single Layer DVD+R burned with booktype DVD-ROM is roughly as compatible with old players as DVD-R (and more compatible than DVD+R burned with booktype DVD+R).

@poppy12: Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

A magnavox player(very cheap one)from Walmart recently purchased won’t play DVD+R unless the booktype is set to DVDROM, DVD-R work okay. My other players don’t seem to have an issue with +R no matter what setting is used.

WOW, many replies. Thank You :bow:

I always use DVD-R from Memorex to burn my ISO images and works flawlessly on my PC and Magnavox dvd player, don;t use the + version though.

Sure, we love memowrecks. Comments about them are all over this forum.

Some like em some dont. :rolleyes:

So what is “them” in your opinion?

Memowrecks rebrand other stuff all the time - you cann never know what you get before you can use it…

Cheers. :rolleyes:

I used to have a standalone player (Philips) that didn’t like DVD+ disks. That’s been several years ago. Philips was the inventor of the DVD- standard. Go figure. I own a year-old Sony now that will play anything. However I had standardized on DVD-R for movies while using the Philips player.

I’ve tested both DVD+R and DVD-R and I certainly can’t tell a difference in quality or speed of burns. I do run TY or MCC exclusively. And very rarely anything else even for data (I use TY and MCC DVD+R for data). I have disks that are 10 years old. I always store in jewel cases. I clean players and burners regularly.

An old post:rolleyes:

I’m assuming no one cares about this anymore…format war is useless, I’ve used both with excellent results…just saying!!!

[QUOTE=DolbyTrueHD;2705070]I’m assuming no one cares about this anymore…format war is useless, I’ve used both with excellent results…just saying!!![/QUOTE]

Er, actually they do. Modern burners found in computers, and lesser so laptops, don’t really care what media is being used - DVD+R can be set to DVD-ROM (like a burnt DVD disc) - and can be burn with great results.

However, such burners prefer certain media over others. Standalone DVD recorders are very finicky over what media to record to, and record to well :slight_smile:

If they didn’t, why are they so many threads over media and burners? :stuck_out_tongue:

My bottom line: In computers + or - makes no difference.
It’s only in sal recorders. Differences regarding chapters and file organization. Also read that DVD+R is more reliable in tracking or indexing etc. Don’t know what that means.