The Devil Wears Prada

Anyone able to copy The Devil Wears Prada R1 Widescreen Edition? Using CloneDVD2 2.9.0.1 with AnyDVD 6.0.9.5., I get “File 1 I:/VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_3.VOB 23 TCSectorReader” error when I try to copy the main movie (both with and without menu). Disk is new and clean.

Summary for drive I: (AnyDVD 6.0.9.5)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1994096 sectors (3894 MBytes)
Total size: 3988181 sectors (7789 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DEVIL_PRADA_WS
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Copied today with those same software, great copy, no problems. Perhaps you have a bad copy?

This movie has no great protection.
it can be ripped with Dvd Shrink alone.

Thank you. Must be a bad disc. I’ll swap it for a new one tomorrow.

I had the exact same error earlier today and was waiting for a fix. Then someone posted they had same problem but others say they were able to make a backup? Strange. I tried many times and got the same error. Its a brand new DVD and is not dirty. Any ideas?

Mike

Well if others have used anydvd then you may just have a bad disc (the one you bought).

Not at all strange because of the wide variety of configurations both hardware and software.

Sorry to disagree Doc, and you did say “may”, but I don’t think this is very often really so.

dewd & businesstoolbox,
I have always felt that our little cdf community is too quick to suggest the problem is a bad original. And I doubt any “fix” is coming or necessary. Not everyone’s backup rig responds well to ripping any given original with the same method that others have no problems with. Everyone’s rig is “special” in some way. So consider that there is more than one way to rip a problem DVD that you want to burn with CloneDVD.

Try to rip with your burner rather than your DVD-ROM drive. Clean the orginal with alcohol even though it appears new and clean. Or wash it in cold dishwashing soap, rinse, towel dry and dust it with a compressed air can. Or don’t set CloneDVD up for a compression scenario, split the movie onto two disks instead.

And everyone keeps forgetting that one can use Windows Explorer to rip the Video TS file off your original and onto your HDD as long as you have AnyDVD running. Chances are very good that you will be successful in your rip. Then just open either of CloneDVD’s “Copy DVD Titles” or “Clone DVD” methods and instead of just clicking on your DVD drive like you usually do, use that browse button to point CloneDVD to the Video TS folder you just created via drag and drop. Then select the extras you want or process your “Movie Only” backup from there. If CloneDVD still squawks, run FixVTS on the static files then go at it again. Or you could just burn the whole TS folder using CloneDVD’s “Write Existing Data” method. Or process the files with another program.

Or next try to rip with the AnyDVD “Rip To HDD” feature. Even though some pretty experienced members have stated that that feature is currently functioning at less than par, it works often enough for me.

My point is there are a lot of “or’s” to be considered before assuming a bad original is the problem.

Try the drag and drop rip using Windows Explorer first though. Many members have standardized on this method for 100% of their backups. We get lazy and just like the click, click convienice of CloneDVD’s automatic ripper to HDD to burner function using the simplest “Copy DVD Titles” or “CloneDVD” methods.

Whisperer

I’d definately try cleaning as suggested above.
As I said earlier, this movie does not have any special protection on it.
I was able to rip it to HD using DVD Shrink alone.
So, you dont need Anydvd, Fab or Ripit4me to decrypt this movie.
If you dont have Shrink, id suspect good old dvd decrypter could also rip this movie.

I would go with AnyDVD’s ripper 1st, as it fixes problems during the rip to hard drive.
I have had very good results using it on problem DVD’s.

Thank you Whisperer1. I am experiencing the very same problem with a new DVD. I watched this movie last night with another player and it was fine. I also tried to burn to image with AnyDVD as recommended. I received the same error. I have not had time to try anything else yet. I would bet this is not a bad DVD and I would bet there are more people out there yet to be heard from.

Thanks for the feedback.

I tried cleaning as mentioned. THen I tried drag and drop to hard drive while AnyDvd (latest version) is running. It copies all files except the same one that we all have the error on mention above. VTS06_03. There is a problem with that file. It always stops right there. Anydvd has worked with every other problem DVD I ever had. The movie played fine watching it on a standard dvd player. I think it may have issue with running from a computer as when I tried to view it on the computer it locked up while watching it abotu the same area… I tried it again on standard dvd player with no problem. This is strange. Can they put protection on there that knows it is a computer or something?

MF

I haven’t had any problem with the Devil Wears Prada. I ran with ANYDVD, and Clone2. Perfect backup

Stand alone DVD players are not as sensitive to physical DVD problems as DVD reader/writers are. I still think you have imperfections in/on your original disc. Try another.

If you are having problems with a number of discs, then I would be more inclined to think it is system conflicts, but with only one, I doubt it.

Have you tried AnyDVD’s rip video-dvd to harddisk function? It may process vts06_o3.

I will be getting a replacement DVD tonight. If that one fails as well, I will send the .ifo to Slysoft.

The 2 times in the past when CloneDVD2/AnyDVD failed for me was a bad disc. Each time the replacement fixed the problem. Until I get this replacement, I have no reason to believe this time is different.

Thanks. I used anydvd rip to HD feature and it worked… Now i just need to figure out how to go from there… Thanks.

You could use Dvdshrik to compress and a burner such as Nero or Imgburn to burn.

Strange… As I mentioned above, it completed rip to hd successfully but when I went to CloneDVD to burn, it says the VOB files are missing. I went to the location and there were no files there? Im doing it again and as it is ripping the files are showing up so I dont see how they could be deleted upon completion or burning… Will post.

You might try out the beta version and see if all goes well.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=202363

Got it… Think its working using CloneDVD to burn. I think it deleted before because the source and temporary directory where the same… Thanks