The Conspiracy behind Slysoft’s Resurrection

vbimport

Slysoft, the maker of the popular DVD and Blu-ray decrypting tool known to many as AnyDVD and AnyDVD HD was supposedly forced to shut down in February 2016 under “massive legal pressure”. To be honest, as a lifetime license holder of AnyDVD and its CloneDVD, my sympathy went to Slysoft when first learning the sad news, because their products are indeed among the best ones on the market. And I’ve been personally hoping that Slysoft would make it through this difficult time.

However, that sympathy immediately evaporated as Slysoft’s resurrection RedFox announced that they will have to make the previous customers repay for the reincarnated RedFox products. Although they said there would be some discounts offered, I was still pissed off as a lifetime subscriber who has been supporting it for so many damn years. Why not just honor your reputation by honoring your old loyal customers, RedFox? This is absolutely not the business practice I am expecting from a well-known company.

Now it looks like when Slysoft changes its name into RedFox by wearing the old fox with a mask, that fox becomes only slier and foxier! This does remind me one thing when I purchased my lifetime license. It was during the Christmas season of 2010, and Slysoft was then holding a promotion campaign stating they would end the lifetime license model starting from January 1st, 2011. So I took the bait and bought my lifetime license. However, when it was finally 2011, I surprisingly found that they actually did not stop offering lifetime options to their products. I did a little bit digging then and found something even harder to believe, Slysoft did exactly the same thing at the end of 2008. It turned out it was just part of its marketing ploy to repeatedly once in a while claim that the lifetime license option would not be offered after an appointed date, just to lure more people into buying the lifetime versions so that they can grab more money. In case you have any doubt about what I am saying, all the discussions back then can still be found at http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=16150.0 and http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/11/26/slysoft-to-discontinue-lifetime-subscriptions-for-anydvd/, and also at http://betanews.com/2010/12/13/after-7-years-slysoft-ending-lifetime-update-subscriptions/

I can feel only contempt for the RedFox guys if you have really made up minds to dig your own graves by repeating a dishonest business model like this. Don’t you realize what you are about to do will not only lose the trust the old Slysoft customers have given you but also scare away new potential ones? Cheating and shaking off the responsibilities you are supposed to shoulder will definitely ruin your own future, RedFox!

If grabbing more money out of your long-time supporters is the only way you can think of to make a living, then it’s a big shame on you! Don’t you forget there are now more options on the market, who offers even much better products than yours. Goodbye, the slier and foxier RedFox. You have lost one loyal fan, and I am sure you are going to lose more in the future!

[QUOTE=Johnnoy;2772092]Slysoft, the maker of the popular DVD and Blu-ray decrypting tool known to many as AnyDVD and AnyDVD HD was supposedly forced to shut down in February 2016 under “massive legal pressure”. To be honest, as a lifetime license holder of AnyDVD and its CloneDVD, my sympathy went to Slysoft when first learning the sad news, because their products are indeed among the best ones on the market. And I’ve been personally hoping that Slysoft would make it through this difficult time.

However, that sympathy immediately evaporated as Slysoft’s resurrection RedFox announced that they will have to make the previous customers repay for the reincarnated RedFox products. Although they said there would be some discounts offered, I was still pissed off as a lifetime subscriber who has been supporting it for so many damn years. Why not just honor your reputation by honoring your old loyal customers, RedFox? This is absolutely not the business practice I am expecting from a well-known company.

Now it looks like when Slysoft changes its name into RedFox by wearing the old fox with a mask, that fox becomes only slier and foxier! This does remind me one thing when I purchased my lifetime license. It was during the Christmas season of 2010, and Slysoft was then holding a promotion campaign stating they would end the lifetime license model starting from January 1st, 2011. So I took the bait and bought my lifetime license. However, when it was finally 2011, I surprisingly found that they actually did not stop offering lifetime options to their products. I did a little bit digging then and found something even harder to believe, Slysoft did exactly the same thing at the end of 2008. It turned out it was just part of its marketing ploy to repeatedly once in a while claim that the lifetime license option would not be offered after an appointed date, just to lure more people into buying the lifetime versions so that they can grab more money. In case you have any doubt about what I am saying, all the discussions back then can still be found at http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=16150.0 and http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/11/26/slysoft-to-discontinue-lifetime-subscriptions-for-anydvd/, and also at http://betanews.com/2010/12/13/after-7-years-slysoft-ending-lifetime-update-subscriptions/

I can feel only contempt for the RedFox guys if you have really made up minds to dig your own graves by repeating a dishonest business model like this. Don’t you realize what you are about to do will not only lose the trust the old Slysoft customers have given you but also scare away new potential ones? Cheating and shaking off the responsibilities you are supposed to shoulder will definitely ruin your own future, RedFox!

If grabbing more money out of your long-time supporters is the only way you can think of to make a living, then it’s a big shame on you! Don’t you forget there are now more options on the market, who offers even much better products than yours. Goodbye, the slier and foxier RedFox. You have lost one loyal fan, and I am sure you are going to lose more in the future![/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum :flower:

I would kindly ask you to clarify as I do not quite understand.

Where do RedFox fit in with a Slysoft marketing campaign from back in 2010 when RedFox did not even exist at the time?
Where in the so far short story of RedFox, does your 2010 Slysoft registration fit in and how can you say you have to pay again?

Slysoft was according to multiple reports shut down by AACS-LA in February. Two of many reports thereof can be found on this site here with a follow up here. The latter article also gave instructions how to bring the last Slysoft OPD (Online Protection Database) offline and states that Slysoft AnyDVD will continue to work as there is no online check performed on the registration key.

What happened after Slysoft went out of business is to my knowledge:

[ul]
[li]Former employees and programming team at SlySoft, by massive demand and plea from former SlySoft users, did resurrect the product.[/li][li]In understanding with the fans who voted for both the logo and name, they went on and created a new company which to my knowledge has nothing to do with Slysoft or Giancarlo Bettini apart from the aforementioned employees.[/li][/ul]
Naturally based on the above, I am a little surprised at your reasoning :iagree:

I agree with you, Xercus. RedFox is a new company and has no obligation to honor a defunct company’s rules of operation. If RedFox can’t be financially viable then it will not survive. IMO, it is a good thing that the software will still be available period.

I do understand the frustration about this. It’s one of the reasons i buy as less licenses as possible. There’s always some scheme going around to bypass certain things.

Thanks for the warm welcolm, Xercus !:slight_smile:

Where do RedFox fit in with a Slysoft marketing campaign from back in 2010 when RedFox did not even exist at the time?

Sorry I did not make myslef quite clear. What I was trying to say is that SlySoft used to use an unethical way, or marketing strategy, to lure more people buy their lifetime licenses. Of course, RedFox did not exist back then. But now RedFox is run by the same guys (except the CEO? Whos knows?), and they are planning to drop to lifetime model, who knows it is not another marketing ploy?

Where in the so far short story of RedFox, does your 2010 Slysoft registration fit in and how can you say you have to pay again?

I got the information from the RedFox forum, they are planning to dishonor the previous SlySoft lifetime license holders, by aksing them pay again in the future. Althrough the details are still to be ironed out yet, they seem to have made up their minds. You can check it out yourself at https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/redfox-addresses-slysoft-license-concerns.68578/

Slysoft was according to multiple reports shut down by AACS-LA in February.

SlySoft website was not shutdown by AACS-LA, they had made it very clear in RedFox forum that they shut it down themselves, not an authority. Suppose if AACS-LA shut it down, would AACS-LA be kind enough to leave the Forum untouched so that people can talking bullshit about them? Tom, one RedFox staff member also admitted this in RedFox Forum. In case you did not see it, you can now check it here https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/slysoft-closed.68304/page-2#post-423812, and you are looking for #29

Edit: I am not trying to persuade anyone who don’t mind supporting RedFox to turn their back on it, but I do want those do mind to be careful, think twice, after all, noboby guarantees me so far that RedFox won’t change its name again and make me pay a third time. Just like your own signature says, even this site might not be trusted, so we need to always try to protect ourselves, don’t we! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2772106]I do understand the frustration about this. It’s one of the reasons i buy as less licenses as possible. There’s always some scheme going around to bypass certain things.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I should take your advice and buy less licenses as possible in the coming days!:flower:

[QUOTE=UTR;2772100]I agree with you, Xercus. RedFox is a new company and has no obligation to honor a defunct company’s rules of operation. If RedFox can’t be financially viable then it will not survive. IMO, it is a good thing that the software will still be available period.[/QUOTE]

Unless it is not a completely new company, rather than just another skin, which reminds me the wolf in a sheep’s coat.:slight_smile: Remember, RedFox is run by the same guys from SlySoft.

[QUOTE=UTR;2772100]I agree with you, Xercus. RedFox is a new company and has no obligation to honor a defunct company’s rules of operation. If RedFox can’t be financially viable then it will not survive. IMO, it is a good thing that the software will still be available period.[/QUOTE]

It doesn’t seem to be a new company. As i can see all slysoft website pages except the homepage are now redirected to redfox website. Redfox is slysoft, this is the truth. Perhaps the company just changed a name and transfer all products to another website but not shut down. Web server, domain and even everything is still under the control of slysoft, no, it’s refox now.

[QUOTE=Johnnoy;2772092]Slysoft, the maker of the popular DVD and Blu-ray decrypting tool known to many as AnyDVD and AnyDVD HD was supposedly forced to shut down in February 2016 under “massive legal pressure”. To be honest, as a lifetime license holder of AnyDVD and its CloneDVD, my sympathy went to Slysoft when first learning the sad news, because their products are indeed among the best ones on the market. And I’ve been personally hoping that Slysoft would make it through this difficult time.

If grabbing more money out of your long-time supporters is the only way you can think of to make a living, then it’s a big shame on you! Don’t you forget there are now more options on the market, who offers even much better products than yours. Goodbye, the slier and foxier RedFox. You have lost one loyal fan, and I am sure you are going to lose more in the future![/QUOTE]

I’ve felt this is true for some time and agree it’s more than feasible, I know people that bought lifetime licences because of Slysofts warning of ending them. What is it now, ASFAIR around three or more times this has happened. It seemed fairly obvious to me that Slysoft have done something to make more money by closing down one company and opening another and cancelling the ill gotten lifetime licences. I could be wrong, but I will not be renewing my licence either. Well done Johnnoy for posting this, I thought about posting what I thought, but as a long term member I dare not go against the grain of the popular agreement of the Redfox elated members in this forum. Sorry Guys, but That’s what I think as well. I hope I’m entitled to my opinion.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2772195]I’ve felt this is true for some time and agree it’s more than feasible, I know people that bought lifetime licences because of Slysofts warning of ending them. What is it now, ASFAIR around three or more times this has happened. It seemed fairly obvious to me that Slysoft have done something to make more money by closing down one company and opening another and cancelling the ill gotten lifetime licences. I could be wrong, but I will not be renewing my licence either. Well done Johnnoy for posting this, I thought about posting what I thought, but as a long term member I dare not go against the grain of the popular agreement of the Redfox elated members in this forum. Sorry Guys, but That’s what I think as well. I hope I’m entitled to my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Thanks voxsmart, that really makes two of us! What you said is exactly the resason why I’ve chosen Myce to post this, other than directly posting it in RedFox’s Forum, becuase I know for sure my post will not survive a single day there, they will immediately delete it and then have my account banned, but here at Myce, I do believe it is a place with the freedom of speech. I know that there are possibly SlySoft or RedFox members here watching this, but I am not afraid of them, because they cannot do whatever they want here as they can at their own forum.:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Johnnoy;2772182]Thanks for the warm welcolm, Xercus !:slight_smile:

SlySoft website was not shutdown by AACS-LA, they had made it very clear in RedFox forum that they shut it down themselves, not an authority. Suppose if AACS-LA shut it down, would AACS-LA be kind enough to leave the Forum untouched so that people can talking bullshit about them? Tom, one RedFox staff member also admitted this in RedFox Forum. In case you did not see it, you can now check it here https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/slysoft-closed.68304/page-2#post-423812, and you are looking for #29

Edit: I am not trying to persuade anyone who don’t mind supporting RedFox to turn their back on it, but I do want those do mind to be careful, think twice, after all, noboby guarantees me so far that RedFox won’t change its name again and make me pay a third time. Just like your own signature says, even this site might not be trusted, so we need to always try to protect ourselves, don’t we! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your informative and eloquent reply :flower:
I am absolutely not into movies, only music and so have never owned any of the popular programs.
That is, not until August last year when this site ran a giveaway for lifetime licenses for both DVDFab & BluFab Passkey and while not required, finally did choose to register to the forum after some 13 years of lurking.
The only reason I was in need for a program at all is of course to be able to back up my DVD-A and Blu-Ray True Audio discs. Passkey works as a filter and decrypts on the fly before passing the signal to the program and so leaves me with the luxury of using any program I like, even the ones that does not support protection, for the actual extraction of the different tracks.

We indeed have to protect ourselves from [B]everything[/B] out here, being it scams as you indicate, malware or otherwise. As my signature states, no site can be trusted, let your guard down for just a little while and you will easily fall victim to an attack. It may not even be related to the site you surf, but come from a commercial retrieved from a 3rd-party site for a place holder on the page. Trust is very fragile and best left to a bare minimum in the real world where we can look each other in the mirror of our souls.

@vox
Do not hold back, push the tide back instead. If you reason your opinion like Johnnoy did here, we only get more interesting debates and there should be room for all. As you can see from my reply some days ago here, you get what is coming if you do not reason your post properly, I dare say the two replies are different :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Johnnoy;2772185]Unless it is not a completely new company, rather than just another skin, which reminds me the wolf in a sheep’s coat.:slight_smile: Remember, RedFox is run by the same guys from SlySoft.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=BeSptjo;2772188]It doesn’t seem to be a new company. As i can see all slysoft website pages except the homepage are now redirected to redfox website. Redfox is slysoft, this is the truth. Perhaps the company just changed a name and transfer all products to another website but not shut down. Web server, domain and even everything is still under the control of slysoft, no, it’s refox now.[/QUOTE]

The devil is in the details. It might be the case that the current owners were not past owners but only employees. Having owned businesses myself, I can understand why they might not be able to honor the old company’s obligations as these are not necessarily their obligations to honor. This doesn’t mean it is a good decision from a marketing aspect. However, if a company does not have a business model that works financially then it is a waste of effort to go though the exercise.

If the owners of the old company are also the owners of the new company, then I might change my opinion.

I totally understand how some folks feel about this matter. I especially feel sorry for some who just purchased the lifetime license of AnyDVD HD this year or even last year. I’m sure RedFox will come up with some solutions though. Like they don’t have to pay another year or two depending on when purchased.

Personally, I’m actually ready to pay an annual fee or whatever.

Because, I purchased the lifetime licenses of AnyDVD in 2005 and AnyDVD HD in 2007 and feel like I have not been supporting the company for a long time not to mention they were very reasonable back then. I actually started feeling guilty in the last few years. :bigsmile:

That being said, I respect others’ opinions. :slight_smile:

Just my two cents.

What bothers me is that some programs require AnyDVd for decryption.

Marty

Yoú are welcome, Xercus! :stuck_out_tongue: I finally feel the spirit of free speeching here.:clap:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2772208]That is, not until August last year when this site ran a giveaway for lifetime licenses for both DVDFab & BluFab Passkey and while not required, finally did choose to register to the forum after some 13 years of lurking.[/QUOTE]

I too know Passkey, not from this site, but giveawayoftheday, which I did not grab a free license becuase I already had AnyDVD at the time. I’ve heard something about Passkey is using SlySoft’s OPD to work, which I seriously doubt. What do you think, Xercus?

And by the way, it looks like DVDFab was the one who got shut down by AACS-LA two years ago (see dear Jan Willem Aldershoff’s report at Myce here), but they survived by changing their domain to dot cn, while keeping the brand. I also heard that they did not ask their previous LTL users to pay again, and they chose to honor them. So here is my question: developers at DVDFab (Passkey) also need to get enough income so as to keep the company going, if they can honor the old customers, why cannot RedFox? :confused:

Maybe I should go for Passkey?:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=UTR;2772227]If the owners of the old company are also the owners of the new company, then I might change my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I’m afraid, we’ll never know, cause they won’t let us, especially if they are behind all this conspiracy thing.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I do appreciate your open-mindness, UTR!:wink:

[QUOTE=0301orih;2772237]Because, I purchased the lifetime licenses of AnyDVD in 2005 and AnyDVD HD in 2007 and feel like I have not been supporting the company for a long time not to mention they were very reasonable back then. I actually started feeling guilty in the last few years. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Actually, you won’t necessarily feel that way, you might not pay a single more dime for the products you already own, but to show your continued support, you can buy other products from them, don’t you!:smiley:

However, if I see my past support shall not be respected soon, it discourages me from potentially buying any future products from them.

[QUOTE=thor21344;2772238]What bothers me is that some programs require AnyDVd for decryption. [/QUOTE]

Well, like Xercus has already told, AnyDVD is not the only decrypting tool this world has nurtured. DVDFab’s Passkey also does an excellent job. As far as I know, both are world-class decrypters, which both have their large loyal fan bases respectively.

Whether or not can AnyDVD still keep its loyal fans SlySoft used to enjoy is yet to be seen. But one thing can be sure is that there will be a major lose of fanbase to RedFox, people like myself and possibly vox will no longer be a fan:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Johnnoy;2772304]Yoú are welcome, Xercus! :stuck_out_tongue: I finally feel the spirit of free speeching here.:clap:

I too know Passkey, not from this site, but giveawayoftheday, which I did not grab a free license becuase I already had AnyDVD at the time. I’ve heard something about Passkey is using SlySoft’s OPD to work, which I seriously doubt. What do you think, Xercus?

And by the way, it looks like DVDFab was the one who got shut down by AACS-LA two years ago (see dear Jan Willem Aldershoff’s report at Myce here), but they survived by changing their domain to dot cn, while keeping the brand. I also heard that they did not ask their previous LTL users to pay again, and they chose to honor them. So here is my question: developers at DVDFab (Passkey) also need to get enough income so as to keep the company going, if they can honor the old customers, why cannot RedFox? :confused:

Maybe I should go for Passkey?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

There are actually countries and societies still fighting for their right to freedom of speech and so we should never take it for granted but stay alert and fight whenever we feel our right is threatened. Where facts are few, you are damn well entitled to your opinion, popular or not :iagree:

You know, I can not answer your question :disagree: as there is no OPD at play for decrypting audio discs which are not as heavily protected as movies, but from what I’ve read in here, they seem to have their own protection DB… What I can confirm is that it has not let me down on the Audio side and that I’d find the product some months prior to finding the giveaway as they were the only ones mentioned to do decryption of DVD-A and Blu-Ray True Audio discs and Slyfox’ website did only make a mention of CDs.
The price tag was a little bit too high for one needing just the audio function though and so I was in reality looking for alternatives when finding the giveaway. As I wrote to JW the same day when registering, it was a price hard to beat in the market :wink: and so my search ended and the rest is history :iagree:

I also would pretty much like the movie community to join in to answer if passkey is a feasible option to AnyDVD HD as I am indeed Audio only and watch TV approximately 2.5 hours a week which is less than most do per day. I do spend my time in front of the computer screen more than most though, but that is a more creative process :flower:

[QUOTE=0301orih;2772237]Because, I purchased the lifetime licenses of AnyDVD in 2005 and AnyDVD HD in 2007 and feel like I have not been supporting the company for a long time not to mention they were very reasonable back then. I actually started feeling guilty in the last few years. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Herein lies the problem with nearly every “lifetime” offer made by a company. Lifetime upgrades are financially viable as long as the user base is expanding. Once the saturation point is reached, and the user base stops expanding, the company becomes financially nonviable. So their choice comes down to going out of business or changing their business model. I have seen this happen with restaurants, service providers, software companies etc. over the years. It is like a Ponizi scheme where the people that got in early have good returns on their investment while people who get in late get fleeced the worst.

Very rarely does “lifetime” ever end up being “for life.”