The Cheapest cd printer you found

Please name:

1:the cheapest

2:the best

cd printer you have found and also

3:where you found it

Thermal, inkjet, or what?

If you have a canon you maybe able to set it up to print on c.d’s … I didnt realize that I was able to convert mine but after a little research and buying the cd tray I was able to print on c.d’s … Check on ebay and see if someone has a c.d tray and most of the time they have instructions there on how to set everything up… :iagree:

HP Photosmart D5360 for $69.00 after coupon at HP Web Store.

[quote=zak151;2259704]Please name:

1:the cheapest

2:the best

cd printer you have found and also

3:where you found it[/quote]
The problem with this question format is the majority of the [B]best[/B] and [B]cheapest[/B] CD printers are now out of production. :sad:

If you live outside of the USA chances are good you can buy a Canon ip4600 for $100 USD or less, and this is their only current inexpensive CD printing model. But in the USA Epson licensing prevents Canon from adding that feature, and so far there is no firmware mod that can fix this. If you can find old stock of ip4500s or MX-850s, they CAN be modded.

In the USA the Epson 1400 printer and Artisan 700/800 MFCs are the only widely available CD printing models. There may be some factory refubished R280 printers and the (IIRC) 595 MFCs still available.

HP makes a few CD print capable units but these should be avoided due to many reports of poor printing results.

To answer your original question:

IMHO, the BEST and CHEAPEST CD printer is a tie between the Epson R220 and the Canon iP4500 (with the UK CD tray mod performed).

Got the R220 on closeout at Wal-Mart 3 years ago for $50 and a set of refillable carts with enough bulk ink for 12 refills for about the same.

Got the Canon iP4500 for $79.99 delivered and a UK CD tray for $22 on Ebay. Won’t use until the Epson wears out but there is plenty of good bulk ink available at low prices to match the R220’s thriftiness.

But… these models are no longer manufactured. The iP4500 can still be found new on Ebay but for quite a huge markup. The R220 and similar era Epsons will only be found used or as non-factory refurbished.

[QUOTE=RWP;2259823]The R220 and similar era Epsons will only be found used or as non-factory refurbished.[/QUOTE]
I’ve got a brand new R220 just sitting here in the factory sealed box bought 2 of them off of eBay and paid through the nose for them both.
Yes you are correct they are getting harder and harder to find the ones that are still new in sealed boxes I have since bought a RX595 so I
will soon be retiring the one R220 that I opened and used. The other one that is still sealed I’m not sure what I will do with it yet maybe I’ll
eBay it or keep it as a collector item. lol :bigsmile:

[quote=getit29;2259885]I’ve got a brand new R220 just sitting here in the factory sealed box bought 2 of them off of eBay and paid through the nose for them both.
Yes you are correct they are getting harder and harder to find the ones that are still new in sealed boxes I have since bought a RX595 so I
will soon be retiring the one R220 that I opened and used. The other one that is still sealed I’m not sure what I will do with it yet maybe I’ll
eBay it or keep it as a collector item. lol :bigsmile:[/quote]I’d hang onto your remaining new R220 – you won’t find a less-expensive-to-operate printer, and with the external waste ink tank mod done right away and the reset utility available for that model you could get 10’s of thousands of prints with it. :bow:

just got the ip4500 for $35 from craigslist (ny)

I have purchased several Epson R280’s and one R260 on Craigslist. I pay $35 or less for each brand new unopened box.

I’ve been rummaging through the local thrift shop (Goodwill) and in a month have come across 3 Epsons with DTD printing capabilities – 2 R200s and an R260.

Bought the best looking R200 and discovered it had its original carts (dated 5-2004) and they were still 1/2 full! The nozzle test pattern was fine after just one clean cycle. This printer probably has several years of use in it before the waste ink counter kicks in. Not bad for $6.99!

Haven’t bought the R260 yet as I wanted to find out more about it first. It appears to be well supported for affordable inks/carts and CISS, but not sure about the external waste ink tank mod…

There’s [B]printer gold[/B] in those thrift shops. :cool: While people are donating their old printers to charity because a new printer can be bought for the cost of a set of OEM cartridges, they don’t realize the new ones are more difficult (or even impossible) to refill or buy economical compatible carts for.

Just a though. You asked which is cheapest printer. Question should be which is the cheapest cost per printed disc. If you buy a printer for say $100 and get 100 prints from a set of cartridges which cost you say $42. then your cost per print would be 42 cents each after using up the original cartridges. If you are refilling the cartridges, you may have lowered your cost per print to say 05 or 06 cents per print, but if you factor in your time and the annoyance of having to cope with this, you may find it not worth the trouble.
My personal preference is a printer with a CIS system, which lowers my cost per print to about 02 cents or less, without the mess associated with refilling cartridges.
I am currently using an Epson R280 with a CIS, which I purchased on E-Bay for just under $100.