The cd player is 30 years old today

vbimport

Just came across this article about the birth of the cd, and the first players released to the public: http://www.whathifi.com/blog/the-cd-is-30-years-old-today

Though I was around at the time, cd players were way out of my budget back then. I thought I was doing well to get a cassette player in my car!

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2657400]Though I was around at the time, cd players were way out of my budget back then.[/QUOTE]

Ditto here…I remember buying my 1st cd player,a Pioneer PD-4100, only in 1988,6 years after the release of the cd! :eek:
These days,I’m a bit quicker on hopping on new technologies,though…:bigsmile:

I can’t remember when I got my first cd player,I know in 69 I was in the service and a buddy and I went in and bought a Sony cassette player and turn table and my buddy bought a reel to reel player, we through we were hot.I’m pretty sure my first cd player was in a car but can’t remember what car it was.

Time flies…

The first CD player in our house was in 1992 when we bought a Sanyo Hi-Fi, which consists of a turntable, CD player, radio and twin cassette deck. Although nothing special, it still plays CDs fine to this day. Its features were actually pretty good for an old player with programmable or random track playback and automatic CD to cassette dubbing, where it automatically arranged the songs to fit each side of the cassette, so that the first side would never end midway through a song.

In February 1992 (if I recall right), my brother also got his first portable CD player. It was quite clumsy (size of 3 or 4 CD jewel cases stacked), took 6 AA batteries and had a runtime of 3.5 hours. He used 600mAh Ni-CD rechargeable AAs (high capacity at the time) which gave him a playback time of a full album CD. I don’t think he still has the player, but as far as portability went, it skipped all over the place, certainly not suitable for anything more than slow walking.

IIRC the CD player was introduced on the Danish market in 1983, and in 1984 I bought my first one costing two weeks salary at the time.

I fondly remember my first CD player…it was a standalone made by Teleton, and I got it for Christmas when I was 13 (1988).

It was 2nd hand when I got it (mum’s friend was upgrading), and that thing lasted me ten years, hooked up to various stereo systems and moving from house to house with me :bigsmile:…I only got rid of it when a repairman said they could no longer source parts :sad:

Still miss it old fogey voice things ain’t made the way they used to be…:wink:

I checked to see what manufacture date the old “boom box” I use in the computer room is . Shows 1995 . You know the type CD player ,cassette player. radio. It still sounds good.
See if anyone remembers one of these :
My brother bought a CD player that had a cassette adapter for his car . The “cassette” was loaded into the car stereo & then a CD could be played from the CD player connected to this . This unit had a tendency to skip on a bump or fast turn but was a good temporary solution to get some more mileage out of a good cassette stereo.

[QUOTE=cholla;2657476]…This unit had a tendency to skip on a bump or fast turn but was a good temporary solution to get some more mileage out of a good cassette stereo.[/QUOTE]

Good job your brother didn’t live here with all the potholes :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2657485]Good job your brother didn’t live here with all the potholes :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Plenty of potholes here too.

My first CD player was part of a mini Hi-Fi system that I bought from Boots in 1985 I think.

And the first CD I bought was ‘Asia’ with this track being the first one I’d listened to at home on CD.

Brings back memories that! :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=cholla;2657476]See if anyone remembers one of these :
My brother bought a CD player that had a cassette adapter for his car . [/QUOTE]
My Dad had this, although I can’t remember what year he got it, probably late 90’s.

Our roads were riddled with potholes within a few miles/km from home, so when we left or were approaching home, a song would rarely play uninterrupted. If I recall right, his CD player use to resume were it got interrupted, so didn’t jump ahead or behind a minute each time it got a bump.

During the last year or two of use before he upgraded to a CD car stereo, he got one of those mini-FM transmitters. They gave better sound than the tape adapter, but had a problem in areas with crowded FM, as a local station would swamp the mini FM transmitter.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2657453]IIRC the CD player was introduced on the Danish market in 1983, and in 1984 I bought my first one costing two weeks salary at the time.[/QUOTE] It was a Philips CD303 like the one in this picture. I replaced it already two years later with a more advanced Philips player, and my parents were using the Philips CD-303 (sparingly) up until last year where it finally didn’t work properly anymore… after only 27 years!

I bought two CDs on the same day I bought the CD player:

The Alan Parsons Project: Eye in the Sky
Genesis: A Trick of the Tail

I bought my first cd player (standalone) in 1991, came from the Netherlands.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2657488]My first CD player was part of a mini Hi-Fi system that I bought from Boots in 1985 I think.

And the first CD I bought was ‘Asia’ with this track being the first one I’d listened to at home on CD.

Brings back memories that! :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
:clap:

Most excellent memories. Asia was one of the first to make it’s way into my $499.00 Phase linear first CD player around 84-85. Waited almost 9 painful months before that darn thing dropped from its original $999.00 price:eek:. The very first CD that dropped in there was one I’d heard when auditioning the B&W speakers that ended up in that system. James Newton Howard and Friends(aka Toto). Incredibly clean and dynamic and showed that stuff off REAL good :bigsmile:

Most excellent memories. Asia was one of the first to make it’s way into my $499.00 Phase linear first CD player around 84-85. Waited almost 9 painful months before that darn thing dropped from its original $999.00 price:eek:. The very first CD that dropped in there was one I’d heard when auditioning the B&W speakers that ended up in that system. James Newton Howard and Friends(aka Toto). Incredibly clean and dynamic and showed that stuff off REAL good :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

84-85? Wow, you hide your age well :bigsmile:

We got our first family cd player in the mid-nineties - it was a Philips player but I don’t remember what model it was, the first CD that I ever bought myself (I was 12 or 13 years old then) was a Kraftwerk - Autobahn album.
The beginning of the first song is engraved in my brain forever.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2657599]84-85? Wow, you hide your age well :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Did I mention that I was a prodigy and gainfully employed at an age where my friends were still beating each other up on the school playgrounds? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2657603]Did I mention that I was a prodigy and gainfully employed at an age where my friends were still beating each other up on the school playgrounds :p[/QUOTE]

LOL! That explains it then :wink:

Good taste even back then I see. :cool:

[QUOTE=pepst;2657600]We got our first family cd player in the mid-nineties - it was a Philips player but I don’t remember what model it was, the first CD that I ever bought myself (I was 12 or 13 years old then) was a Kraftwerk - Autobahn album.
The beginning of the first song is engraved in my brain forever.

Great stuff!! That one does stick with you :).