The Burning Factor

vbimport

Some may Disagree but most will Agree but try what is in this thread you choose yourself :bigsmile:

To avoid burning unusable, unplayable, incompatible or defective discs (a.k.a. “coasters”), recommend the following
Use high quality media. Defects in the media will cause defects in your written disc. Sometimes you can see physical defects in the media on the underside (where you are writing through the disc to the recording layer under the printed side, or in the middle of a DVD±R/RW). Physical defects include things like scratches, scuffs, stains, contamination, defects in the plastic, pinholes in the areas where the recording dye is missing
Keep your hands off the underside of the disc. Don’t use a “gorilla grip”. Grab the disc by stretching your hand across the topside, so you are only touching the outer edges of the disc. Or, place one finger in the center hole and your thumb on the outer edge. Fingerprints or dirt on the bottom of the disc can cause distortion of the writing or reading laser.

Keep your discs dust-free. Store them in cases, or keep the spindle of blank discs covered. Before you burn, take a look at the underside surface of the disc. If you see any dust, blow it off with a gentle shot of clean, filtered compressed dry air (not by blowing on it with your mouth). If you don’t have clean compressed air, you can gently wipe off a dusty disc with a clean, dry cloth, but you run the risk of scratching or smearing the surface.

Never wipe discs in a circle. In general, we don’t recommend trying to clean discs. In an otherwise hopeless case, you can try some warm soapy water, without scrubbing the surface. Rinse with warm water and dry using a compressed air or a clean cloth.
Turn off other programs, including screen savers. If you have problems with buffer underruns, you should choose a slower writing speed. You should also turn off virus protection software. For the best results, don’t run any other programs while you are burning

Keep your hard disks defragmented. While this is a good idea for better PC performance in general, it is an especially good idea for people who do a lot of audio or video editing, or other multimedia production. If your hard disk is highly fragmented, it will have to seek to many sections in order to read and write each file. This will slow down the transfer rate of data to and from the hard drive, and it could cause buffer underruns when burning. In general, don’t let your hard drive fill up more than 75% to 80%. The hard drive fills up from outside to inside - the opposite of CDs and DVDs. This is because the transfer rate is faster at the outside, due to the greater circumference (a higher linear velocity for a given rotation speed). So, the portion of the hard drive that is written to when your drive is nearly full is slower than the portion that is written to when it is nearly empty. Also, a defragmenter won’t run well or won’t run at all when the drive is too full, as it needs space to work.

While higher speed recording saves time and generally results in great discs, slower speed recordings may give you your best chance for a higher quality disc, with lower error rates. If you think you have problems, or if you have time to burn (no pun intended), slow your burning speed down to 4X, 2X, or 1X.
· Use a felt-tip marker to write on the top of your recordable discs. Never use a ball-point pen, or roller ball pen. These pens could damage the recording layer, which is just beneath the printed top layer.
· Don’t leave open sessions. Unless you are storing data in increments to a recordable disc (using multi-session recording), you should “finalize” your recording. This will allow your burning software program to write a lead-out to the end of your session. This is necessary for compatibility with audio CD players.

Keep in mind that some types of players, particularly DVD video players, can not play back certain recordable disc formats. For more information, see the dvdrhelp.com web site
Slow and Steady Wins the Race
Very importantly, and perhaps most importantly, don’t try to run your DVD burner at its maximum speed. In fact, I would recommend that you consider running it at its slowest speed. Why? Your computer and your DVD burner are running in tandem to create this disc, and you want to allow room for error (which can be accounted for, often, during playback by the DVD player’s ability to resample). The problem is, if you record too fast, you’ll encounter all sorts of problems, from not being able to burn a disc at all, to sound synchronization problems, to DVD menus that don’t quite work right.
It’s worth recording slow. Go off and have a bite to eat. Watch TV. Go to bed and check on things in the morning. If you want, you can try different burning speeds until you find the optimum speed for your system (it will cost you a few DVD discs, but it’s worth it).

If you burned a disc and have problems playing it on your DVD player despite you have followed the rules mentioned above, you should try an advanced option: Bitsetting. When a standalone player tries to play a burned DVD it looks for a set of „low level” information to find what kind of disc it is. Some older players can play only discs that are marked as DVD-ROM. The disc may be ok and they can read it but their firmware instructions tell them not to play it because it is not marked as DVD-ROM. To solve this problem try to update the player’s firmware (which is difficult) or use bitsetting. Many drive manufacturers do support bitsetting or “booktype change” on +R/RW media. Depending on your drive, you can manually change it using a utility, while others will switch it automatically when burning with the proper burning software.

Tips for safe DVD burning under Windows:
• Defragment your hard disks before burning (easy data access means easy&fast writing)
• Check hard disks for errors (if a data error occures, your blank disc is lost)
• Try to finalize your disks when finished (not all DVD players will read unclosed session DVDs)
• Write your DVDs at lower speed to ensure a better quality
• Try to avoid burning while running other programs in background. Deactivate screensavers or other running applications while burning a DVD.

Tim :cool:

That my friend is the most comprehensive learning manual I’ve seen yet on the do’s and don’t of backing up your bought DVD media. It was a outstandingm step by step procedure, no lie. I’ve been doing this for at least 3 years, and I picked up steps that I never thought of. Just outstanding documentation stormjumper. I’m sure it’ll help the newbie’s and the junior back-uper’s as well,[is that a word ?], LOL. So I just wanted to state MY appreciation for the job you did and I’m going to copy the thread to a PDF file for safe keeping. That had to be a lot of typing too. I’m a one finger peck and hunt typer. Again Stormjumper, thank you ~ Mike

Rock’n’Roll, Tim! Just didn’t dawn on me to close down everything except DVDFab Platinum to make sure of the best results.
Thanks very much for all that clear, no-nonsense advice.
See you later then, and thanks again. Jim :slight_smile:

Hello Mike and Jim :bigsmile:

We are all here to help each other RIGHT and it seemed to to me that putting this post together would out a few specially newbies and some who have a little bit of problems with playback on standalone players :smiley:
Believe it or not most of what I wrote was from what I have read here on CDFreaks by other members who are very wise like SIGNALS, MAINEMAN, BIGMACNC and ALAN among others :bigsmile: I just it all together in one post :o

Question: There is a verify function that I usually employ while burning disks with Nero. DVDFab does not provide this function. It seems to me a verify function is an excellent way of determing safe burning speed, etc. Would a verify function make a good feature request for DVDFab or is there a reason why it’s not popular enough to add the feature?

Fred

Hello Fred and welcome

If you would like to see this feature in DVDFab you may request it in the thread below

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=194325

Burning at a lower speed… Will this solve the problem I am having with My DVD playing in slow motion on my Panasonic DVD/CD player. MY DVD that I burned plays in slow motion, but when i use my remote to slow search thru the movie, that is the normal speed it should be. What do I need to do for my movie to play normal

Is this just one bkup dvd that does this? and only on this player?
What happens when you play it back on your burner?
It’s tough to say exactly why this is occurring. It’s certainly worth a try to burn it again at a slower speed, but without some specifics (burner, firmware, media code, burn speed, etc.,), it’s hard to say.

Hi Jeni
Are you talking about the one you downloaded and made a copy of :confused:
I have been following your problem :bigsmile: , but have not made any reply to you before sorry :bow: .
This movie does it play normal on your computer before you make a copy of it :confused:
(EDIT) sorry just remembered it plays ok on your computer like maineman said try to burn it slower and see if it works

Tim

Thanks for the suggestions… Iwill try that… It does play fine on my computer

It is a blank DVD Maxell 8x that I copied a movie to and converted it from AVI to DVD. It plays fine on computer, but my DVD Player (Panasonic 5 disc DVD/CD player and entertainment center plays it in slow motion. I burned it at 16x and then at Maximum speed. I will try to burn it at a slower speed… Maybe I just got a hold of a movie that was not good. I will check and see again if it plays normal on computer, best I remember it did. My Dvd Burner is a Phillips DVD8801 i believe

Ok, I downloaded another movie to a Maxell 8x dvd and it worked fine in my home dvd player. I think it is because the movie is in mpeg format and the one i tried earlier is in avi format. now i have to figure out how to convert that avi to mpeg.

good find.

Never said I wrote it :smiley:
Welcome to the forum :iagree:

yeah, I see that now, sorry.

Nothing to be soory about my friend :smiley: hope I can call you that :confused:
How can you have joined March 2007 when it is not March yet :confused:

Tim my man, March has come and gone my friend.

Because, I’m you, one month from now. I’ve come from the future to warn you of great danger.

Listen Stormjumper, you must…oh noes! the Dahaka! (runs away screaming) :wink:

I know Ron, just having fun :stuck_out_tongue:
My birthday was in march remember