The bug thread for Windows 8

So, I’ve installed Windows 8, and have been busy reinstalling software for a couple of days, and I’ve run into a couple of odd things.

The first one was AnyDVD HD failing to decrypt a blu ray that was released months ago, and which I decrypted and ripped successfully in Windows 7. This not only fails to decrypt now in Win 8, but crashes the program. MakeMKV decrypted and ripped the same movie in Win 8 with no problems, so there seems to be a slight incompatibility in AnyDVD HD at the moment. Or just something very strange in my particular system.

The next thing was my blu ray playback software failing to work. I had finally gotten Arcsoft TMT 5 to work in Windows 7, and Corel WinDVD 11 as well, but neither would in Windows 8. Corel flat out said it could not work with my Intel HD 4000 integrated video…even though it had worked just fine in Windows 7 using that same hardware. I solved this by putting in my ATI HD 4850 video card. With this hardware both programs are working as well as they had been in Win 7. I think I’m going to put the blame on Intel’s drivers for this one. I tried two different sets, one a brand new one from this month, but with no effective difference.

Got to expect a few glitches in a new operating system I suppose. If you run into a bug or two, feel free to post your experiences in here.

I can’t permanently remove hiberfyl.sys…it’s back @ every reboot,although I disabled every hibernation setting from the power options screen @ control panel and ran the powercfg-h off command as admin…:confused:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2661398]I can’t permanently remove hiberfyl.sys[/QUOTE]
Could this be related to the instant boot feature?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2661396]The next thing was my blu ray playback software failing to work. I had finally gotten Arcsoft TMT 5 to work in Windows 7, and Corel WinDVD 11 as well, but neither would in Windows 8. Corel flat out said it [B]could not[/B] work with my Intel HD 4000 integrated video…even though it had worked just fine in Windows 7 using that same hardware. I solved this by putting in my ATI HD 4850 video card. With this hardware both programs are working as well as they had been in Win 7. I think I’m going to put the blame on Intel’s drivers for this one. I tried two different sets, one a brand new one from this month, but with no effective difference.

Got to expect a few glitches in a new operating system I suppose. If you run into a bug or two, feel free to post your experiences in here.[/QUOTE]I came across the same problem with PowerDVD 10, although it worked fine (same HD4000 driver) in Win8 Enterprise evaluation, so something has changed in Win8 Pro.

The Blu Ray player in Nero 12 works fine though. :confused:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2661403]Could this be related to the instant boot feature?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know,Liggy…I already had that option disabled and every power options setting that has to do with hibernate and sleep mode…maybe I missed something deeper under the hood…:confused:

Just for curiosity: there is something like XP mode" in win 8 too?

@Kerry, what about BD rebuilder and DVD Rebuilder? Did you test these software too? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2661452]Just for curiosity: there is something like XP mode" in win 8 too?[/QUOTE]

No…XP Mode is completely dropped…

@geno
I’ve installed DVD Rebuilder and BD Rebuilder, but haven’t tested them yet.

It looks like the BD player bug is not a bug at all, just incompatibility with the playback applications. PowerDVD12 (trial) works fine, and it claims full compatibility with Windows 8.
It looks like the older versions will need an update.

I’m glad I’ve got my older versions working then. As the new ones have Cinavia detection added.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2661487]I’m glad I’ve got my older versions working then. As the new ones have Cinavia detection added.[/QUOTE]So, what was required to get the older versions working?

[QUOTE=Dee;2661489]So, what was required to get the older versions working?[/QUOTE]
Most of my problems centered on my use of an external dac/amp for use with my headphones. This caused some problems, in part due to the dac’s lack of support for the HD audio streams. Using the dac meant that video playback would simply stop in TMT 5…though ironically enough, the straight stereo sound would still go through. WinDVD 11 didn’t like my usb dac/amp either.

Changing over to onboard Realtek HD audio solved the problems. I worked all this out in Win 7. When I installed Win 8, the issues with the Intel HD 4000 graphics kicked in, and the only clue I had was the message from the Corel program. The oddest part was that TMT5 could play individual m2ts files off the hard drive or disc but menus stopped it cold on video playback. Sound would still come through on the menu, but no video. WinDVD wouldn’t play at all with the onboard graphics.

So now, I’m using the ATI video card and onboard sound. This combo works, but is annoying me when I want to listen to music, cause I have to change the default sound output. Only one of my headphones really needs the dac/amp, and it may not get much use at this point.

The new edition of BD Rebuilder came today, so I tried to run it and set up the program. It locks up my installation of Windows 8 completely. Nothing works after I hit the BD Rebuilder exe file, not even Task Manager. I’ve had to hit the reset button three times now to get the computer out of its frozen state.

Older editions do the same thing. Changing compatibility or running as administrator do nothing to help.

DVD Rebuilder still works fine, or at least starts up correctly. I didn’t try to encode anything with it.

I posted a note in the bug reports for BD Rebuilder but there is very little hope of jdobbs doing anything about this soon, as he has no Win 8 system for testing purposes.

probably not a bug, but on my Revo W8 install Media Center runs like a slug. Didn’t run worth a hoot in W7 either though…

PS: the K400 keyboard is pretty good for Metro, the touchpad and tap and gestures work.

Good news on the BD Rebuilder front. I ran compatibility again, then the troubleshoot program option. Set the program for Win 7 emulation and it is working just fine now. Well, I haven’t tried to encode anything, but the program came up correctly and didn’t freeze everything.

Found a way to disable the huge hiberfile.sys…
Run regedit as admin,and under this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
you have to set the subkey “HibernateEnabled” to zero.
Works better than the powercfg.exe /hibernate off or powercfg -h off commands…:bigsmile: