The BTC 1004IM sad to say but it's shit

After 1 week of extreme testing (burned ± 30 coasters of 5 different brands).
I must conclude the following :
All my burns went OK , but afterwards the discs were unreadable in my LG DVDROM , even in my BTC burner !!! and also in my xbox and standalone dvd player. I used firmware 0047 and nero 6.0.0.28 and stomp recordnow max 4.5 and alcohol 120% 1.4.7.build 1005 .
The conclusion of all this frustration is the following : sad to say but the drive is shit ! I did not know they still made this kind of drives… it’s just like it’s one of the first dvd writers in the very beginning … damn . So tomorrow I will return 3 of these worthless drives back to the store and gonna ask for a refund. In the meanwhile i’m burning with no problems with my toshiba sdr5002 (± 1year old) on every media i have here. Princo 4x media , Leaddata , no name very cheap media. Ofcourse only on 2x BUT AT LEAST IT WORKS !
So this thread is just to warn you guys who are looking for a 4x burner , just go for something else like pioneer , sony or something , that’s what i’m gonna do !

greets,

Candyman

The burner is not perfect but definitely workable. I doubt that you will meet the same problems while you try another brand DVD burner. :cool:

Candyman,

meanCandyman,

meanwhile I agree with you.
I am using this drive for 4 weeks. My first attempt with verbatim media was successful.
But than I tried two different medias from INTENSO (in Germany) and a very cheap brand from our local “mediamarkt”.
The BTC isn’t able to burn this 3 media with good quality. Today I have the chance to test a LG 4040A.
All this media is burned successful. With K_Probe the results are in average below 50. So, from my point of view, the LG can easily manage what the BTC can’t!!
I think, the BTC has a big problem with the firmware.
I see, that MARCO is supporting us with big enthusiasm, but again my question, when can we expect a firmware, which is comparable to LG or NEC or ???

If there will not be a short positive response from BTC, I will sell my drive at ebay and I only can warn you guys, just get something else for your money !!!

Juergen

As I write this reply my Plextor 708A is burning a dvd. The plextor has burned 20 dvd’s so far and not one coaster. My BTC 1004 was left in my machine because of it’s reading abilities on scratched discs. I won’t even dare to use it to burn until the firmware is mature. My feeling is I took the plunge three months ago when my A05 died and the A06 OEM that I got sucked big time. So to say the drive is shit is not true, I will pay anything to have a reader like this and in the end if it can burn too so fine.

ok , but if the main use of this drive is reading… i’m not satisfied with that , a burner must BURN , i returned the 2 BTC writers i bought and got me a pioneer 106d , problem solved i can burn whatever media … even cheap no-names dvd-r , without a problem readable in my standalone etc…

Hello Candyman,

Originally posted by candyman1337
Princo 4x media , Leaddata , no name very cheap media. Ofcourse only on 2x BUT AT LEAST IT WORKS !
So this thread is just to warn you guys who are looking for a 4x burner , just go for something else like pioneer , sony or something , that’s what i’m gonna do !

so what are you trying to tell us. That you found some media that aren’t working with the BTC?
BTW, in a test of the German computer magazine c’t (July 2003) the Pioneer DVR-106D had big problems with Ricoh DVD+R and Maxell DVD-R media. So you see, problems with new DVD burners and DVD media are very common. The author of the test wrote that it would be a good idea, to wait at least 2-3 months after a new burner comes out. In this time the biggest problems in the firmware will be fixed.

Regards
Arnie

The BTC-1004IM is DEFINITIVELY not a working drive !

Think about this:
Not every buyer is a CD/DVD freak like most of the ‘seniors’ here.
Even they have more or less problems with this drive.
Look into the threads how much TIME, WORK and MONEY some of the Gurus here, have invested.
So the ‘normal’ end-user buys a drive, makes eventually a FW-upgrade, if the flashing tool is a handy-one, and then he wants a working device.

Not possibel, or too many things, that can go wrong ?

Maybe - but as a fact, i have bought me a LDW-411S, unpacked it, flashed it to the newest FW and burnt successfully types of media, the BTC shooted to death.

So IMHO everyone can choose how much money he’s willing to invest for beta-testing.
I buy me, for the saved media costs, DVD-films and other equipment for my PC.

So HAPPY TESTING

Hello GoFuYo,

Originally posted by GoFuYo
Maybe - but as a fact, i have bought me a LDW-411S, unpacked it, flashed it to the newest FW and burnt successfully types of media
hmm, thats exactly what I did after buying my BTC 1004IM. But stop, it already worked good with the installed BIOS version 0040. So a newer version wasn’t really necessary.

So IMHO everyone can choose how much money he’s willing to invest for beta-testing.
You are right, but you aren’t only beta testing burner firmware, you are also beta testing DVD media. According to the c’t magazine there is a lot of junk on the market.

I buy me, for the saved media costs, DVD-films and other equipment for my PC.
I save my money by buying quality media that are working perfectly with the BTC 1004IM.

Regards
Arnie

Originally posted by Arnie7
[B]Hello GoFuYo,
hmm, thats exactly what I did after buying my BTC 1004IM. But stop, it already worked good with the installed BIOS version 0040. So a newer version wasn’t really necessary.
You are right, but you aren’t only beta testing burner firmware, you are also beta testing DVD media. According to the c’t magazine there is a lot of junk on the market.
I save my money by buying quality media that are working perfectly with the BTC 1004IM.

Regards
Arnie [/B]

:slight_smile: I’m NOW no longer testing media, since really everyone i bought so far, and btw. was shot by the BTC, works fine now with the LDW.
:slight_smile: I know very, very good c’t
:slight_smile: I’m too with less nerves and cheaper media
BTW. - i really do not care what brand a ‘good’ burner is !!
It has only to be most flexible and compatible.
And Arnie7, for sure, exact about this theme can be read in some magazines shortly - for sure :wink:

After my first BTC1004 drive died within a week I got a replacement from the retailer. I updated the firmware to 0047 just to find that DVD+RW disks from Nashua (PHILIPS 010) and HP (RICOHJPNW01) are not readable after a seemingly good write. Therefore I do not understand why everyone thinks that a firmware is a key to solve all the BTC1004 problems. Presonally I think it has more to do with the hardware, specificly the (cheap?!) laser that is used. The first drive failed to read ANY media after I succesfully burned about 10 DVD+R discs. Even though I burned about 30 DVD+R discs with the new one. I keep having problems with the two types of DVD+RW media I have. All these media work perfectly well in a Philips DVDRW228K and also in my DVDR80 home dvd-recorder. So why shouldn’t my BTC drive work ? Firmware ? No way ! It must be the hardware !

Originally posted by IanPH
… Firmware ? No way ! It must be the hardware !

Maybe a combination of that + more …
Know now BTC for a very long time. Have had lots from this manufacturer, keyboards, CD-ROM’s, also the very earliest one’s.
Can’t tell, to be honest, it was all shxt from them.
Some parts are still alive and working perfect.

In case of the 1004IM, BTC has devinitively made an ‘early flyer’, thrown it to the market, because some business economists told ‘now - and not tomorrow’ :frowning:
But the same for all other major brands and manufactures.
WE, the customers will get more and more products, only 75% ready from the engineering point, and afterwards they collect all responses and testings from the engaged customers side for further improvements. Without the ‘engineering costs’ of course :slight_smile: -
So, thx to Bill (the Gate), opening such a ‘trendy’ style for the whole market.
What to do? Simply buy a product ‘looking’ most mature for the market

I couldnt agree more. Well I returned my POS BTC after 3 days of unsuccessful burns. I ended up spending about 25 more dollars for the sony 510A and Guess what happened??? I installed it popped in a disk and IT FREAKING BURNED A DVD!!! The BTC is a Piece of shit and this sony is 1000x’s better!!!

for me the 1004 is working very well now, i found the media right media for me, an i think i made a good deal.

there is no dvd writer on earth, which can write all different types of dvd +/-r/rw

i can remenber that when i bought my first cd-writer (a HP )in 1998, i had the same problems with cdr media, but there was only one fw update and the support by HP was really bad.

so why are you crying, we all now what medias are working well, when you use other not working media, this is your own risk, but don´t cry.

There is a lot to do for the BTC-programmers… But after I find cheap and working media here I’m happy now with the drive. My DVD-standalone can read all DVD+/-R(W) I burnded the last weeks… also the CD-R(W) capabilities are fine.

If BTC spend some more time for the media-tables it will shure be a good thing.

ahm… And they should remove “PRINCO” from the list of compatible media :wink:

regards Sven

Im allowed to bitch its my right. You dont spend money on something that doesnt work. Please tell me why as soon as the sony went it i could burn DVD’s??? The BTC would just crash my system. Im warning people about this drive cause its a farse.

Originally posted by jcollector1
Please tell me why as soon as the sony went it i could burn DVD’s???

Sorry, but I don’t have my crystal ball at hand. Maybe you BTC drive was defective. Maybe your motherboard, power supply etc. is defective or incompatible to the BTC. Who knows.

The BTC would just crash my system. Im warning people about this drive cause its a farse.

When the drive crashed your system, then there surely was/is a severe defect in your BTC drive or your PC. Also I can understand that you are angry, I don’t think that it is necessary to curse at BTC only because one DVD drive did not work in your PC.