The Big Optical Drive Sticky archive (troubleshooting, best burner, etc)

vbimport

Hi, all. :slight_smile:

In all this recent hustle and bustle, it seems we have accumulated quite a few stickys. Rather than rush to compile all the useful information (links, etc) into the official FAQ, this temporary thread contains a list of the ARCHIVED stickys. This way, people can still find the old threads, but they are not visual clutter.

So, without further ado, the list of stickys that have been archived circa 2012, plus one or two more useful threads.

Troubleshooting for disc recognition and PIO/DMA issues, among other things:

[ul]
[li]F.A.Q. for PC DVD Writers (2006)[/li][li]Troubleshooting: Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x[/li][li]Fix for the DMA-turned-into-PIO problem[/li][li]Troubleshooting: My optical drive doesn’t recognize discs (like they should be)…[/li][li]Troubleshooting: Drive messed up? Check your PSU quality first! Good/Bad PSU list…[/li][/ul]

Best of the best:

[ul]
[li]Which is the best drive to do Blu-ray quality scans?[/li][li]Best DVD-RW drive for 2011[/li][li]Best BD-RE drive for 2011[/li][li]8x Blu-ray Burner comparison chart (2009)[/li][/ul]

Useful ripping tools:

[ul]
[li] Announcing Xpert tools: the perfect rip.[/li][li] P e r f e c t R i p , ultimate CD(+G) imager/ripper[/li][/ul]

Misc:

[ul]
[li]The big external enclosures thread[/li][li]Optical Storage Technical Informations[/li][/ul]

Older, still potentially useful:

[ul]
[li]Home made tools[/li][li]Useful firmware links, a must read for everybody.[/li][/ul]