Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]I’m gaining information on the way of people maintain their Windows PC’s. For all those that want to / can help me, please post the following information:
- Your Windows version
- What your Windows is used for (e.g. office, internet etc)
- What problems you run in to (e.g. spyware or virusses)
- What you do to prevent problems (programs etc)
- How you fix problems
Thanx in advance! [/B]
Main pc :
1 Windows XP + Sp1 + All (hot)fixes
2 games , surfing , gaming , burning , etc
3 2 viruses , 4 trojans and countless data miners
- GriSofts free antivuris tool
- popup killer
- alternate e-mail reader (Incredimail)
- alternate browser (MyIe2).
- Quarterly backup (image) of harddisks using Ghost or Drive Image Pro
- SecPol.msc with tight settings (E.G. NTLMv2 communication ONLY). I’m still busy researching of IPSec is desirable/possible on my systems without using a Certificate Server. NTFS + EFS only.
5 On the fly
Writing pc :
The same answers
3rd pc :
The same answers , except Windows 2000 + SP4
1 Windows 98SE
2 Webserver , ftp server , telnet server
3 IRQ failures , nothing much else
4 Automatic maintenance , scandisk , defrag , virus definition files updates and automatic storage of extensive logfiles. Remote desktop possible via TightVNC on the intranet only. All things password protected.
Even if this system would be hacked by people on the internet or intranet (by hooking into my network , which would require breaking in my home) , they cannot access all other systems because of the tight security settings on the other systems. The worst thing they could do is to destroy the content on this machine , of which an image is available. The system could be up and running within 30 minutes.
5 Hardly no problems , but windows updates are still done by hand (because i’d hate to have Windows media player 9 installed "automagically ")