The "best" SATA DVD+-RW?

vbimport

:confused: I’ve “surfed” through the many, many threads here in these Club CD Freaks forums and I am still soooooooooo confused on which is the most reliable SATA DVD±RW out there?? I just purchased a brand new Dell Dimension XPS410 (a.k.a. 9200) and it came with a “Samsung” TSST TS-H653A (a.k.a. SH-S183A) which I will use as my “player” in the top bay and under that (in second bay) I want another burner to be my “real burner”. This is the BEST way I have found to dupe one CD or DVD directly to another, especially my music CD’s, but I still want a reliable DVD±RW that can work well WITH my current TSST as well as work under MS Windows VISTA and Roxio Media Center 8 (soon to upgrade to 9).

:rolleyes: I have narrowed the choices down to three:

LITE-ON SH-16A7S (approx. $37 retail version)

SAMSUNG SH-183L (approx. $47, although I DON’T NEED LightScribe)

PLEXTOR 755SA (approx. $106 retail)

PLEASE help with any and all “feedback” and/or ADVICE !! THANKS !!

:bigsmile:

If your only use for 2 burners is to copy drive-to-drive, you could just get a dvd-rom for your reader and use the sammy to write. SATA -roms are slightly more common right now than writers.

I used to (years ago) always have the one “player” one “burner” setup when the prices of burners were about five times the price of a “player”. NOW, the burners are just a “few dollars” more than a player only, and besides, it’s always nice to IMMEDIATELY have a “back-up burner” in case my Samsung goes bad or something.

BTW, I have TWO “identical” LITE-ON SHW-160P6S drives in my Wife’s (my “old” computer) Dell XPS 9150. They are always reliable as well a looking pretty “cool” being BOTH the same, and I really think they work well “together”… I guess this is why I was thinking of buying another TSST TS-H653A (Samsung SH-S183A) for my “new” Dell XPS410 but I can ONLY find the “LightScribe” Samsung model SH-183L :a

THANKS for the suggestion, I appreciate ALL the help :slight_smile: !!

We’re in the same boat actually- I was going to get a Pioneer or LG PATA drive, until I heard horror stories about the add-on PATA controller on my mobo. How do you like your Samsung so far? On Newegg, it’s $10 more than a SH-16A7S-05, and about $5 more than an open box SH-16A7S-06.

:disagree: Oh for goodness sakes DON’T use a PATA CONTROLLER… just buy a good SATA DVD±RW…

:confused: I just got my new Dell XPS410 only a few days ago and the very first thing I had to do (took most of this past Sunday up) was convert the RAID 0 (striped across both 250 GB HD’s) to RAID 1 MIRROR (for data protection) which naturally “wiped out” ALL data, making me start from scratch, loading VISTA (Dell OEM Home Premium) while deleting the Dell “restore” and “diags.” factory partitions. The GOOD thing was I had NONE of the AOL “trial” junk (or any other “freebies” Dell throws on)… It was a real CLEAN install :clap: and remember, if one is running RAID, then RAID 1 is the “smart” way to go, just in case one HD “dies” or “fries”… always have the “second” HD as FULL backup !! So in ANSWER to your question… I did NOT play around with the factory installed DVD±RW yet…

:rolleyes: Just an F.Y.I. - The NewEgg Samsung has LightScribe and is Samsung model SH-183L whereas the Samsung (TSST) that came in my new Dell is an OEM Samsung model SH-S183A which is a much different drive…

Speaking of SATA burners, how’s the compatibility with those things? Is it like IDE where it works with most hardware or is SATA pickier?

I’ve got an Asus P4P800-SE mobo with Intel 865PE chipset… would that do?

Or RAID 5 for the best of both worlds:bigsmile:

Well- I broke down and ordered the 16A7S, so I’ll be finding out the answer to that question real soon. I’ve got the -E Deluxe version of the P4P800 too- it’s a fairly mature design and if any board was going to dodge the bumps in the road, I would expect it to be that one. OTOH, ASUS support sucks, so I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

Only TWO HD’s will fit (correctly) into the Dell XPS410 so RAID choices are limited to “0” or “1”. Now if we were talking about my Compaq ProLiant Server with “split bin” I have five drives in first “side” of bin running the OS on RAID 1 (mirror) with one hot swap spare and the “second” bin has five HD’s running RAID 5 (striped) containing all the programs and data… all 10K RPM drives… loud and hot (and annoying) !!:iagree:

Excellent. Let us know. If I’m getting one at all, I’ll be waiting for the 20A1S (I think that’s what it’s called) but I’m anxious to see how Liteons work for that chipset in general.

:iagree: I too have decided to be one of the first to buy a brand new LITE-ON LH-20A1S (SATA)… heard it’s supposed to be HERE (USA) “mid-February” which means about 10 more days ??? :confused: I imagine NewEgg will be one of the first to carry it, and Deja Vu like every new (good) BenQ that was released their stock would soon deplete then more would come in and those would go very quickly and so on and so forth… you know that first two week frienzy…:a

Pretty good first burn with the 16A7S. Preloaded firmware WS04. Qual score of 95- Vista isn’t playing well with Nero, so no pic, but Yuden T02 burnt at 8x. Max PIE of 15, average of 2.43. Max/total PIF 2/125. 9.65 av. jitter.

Installed with no problems. I’m kicking myself for not checking this earlier, but the omnipatcher doesn’t work with the newer Liteys and no one seems to have modded firmware for it yet, so bitsetting through application support only. Can’t wait for RPC-1 so I can stop brute forcing stuff with DVD Decrypter.

Well that’s a bummer that you can’t mod the firmware any just yet. I’m sure somebody will figure it out soon though. Also, I guess it’s good that it works with your chipset, and the burns are ok. How do you find it for scanning? I mean, other than for the one you burned with it already.

Also, if you can give us any sort of idea how good it handles old/scratched/pressed media, that would be dandy! :slight_smile:

I have a Intel 946GZ mobo and a LG GSA-H31L SATA LightScribe burner, works very well together!

Have you ever tested a dual layer disc with CDspeed? I tried a commercial pressed movie DVD on my 16a7. It shows a huge amount of PIE/PIF on the second layer and it aborts the TRT at the layer break. My other DVD drives see no problem with the second layer.

I am in the same boat as you. Got my XPS 410 last week from Dell. I had bought a pair of NEC/Optiarc 7170A’s to use in it. Then I realized that the Dell has no PATA ports :frowning: After a few tries at a PATA IDE controller, I realized it was best to just get real SATA drives instead.

I have had bad luck with LiteOn drives when used for ripping CDs. They have a “Smart-X” feature that slows CD ripping down to ~2X :a

So, I decided on a couple of the SH-183Ls from Newegg. I will yank the stock Dell drive. That stock Dell drive burns just OK based on the NeroTools info. Unfortunately, some of it’s features are locked out, and you’re stuck with the Dell firmware. No way to cross-flash with real Samsung versions.

I’m also ready to get a second internal drive to set up RAID1. I did a fresh Vista install when I got the machine. From the manual, it seemed to indicated I wouldn’t have to wipe everything again to get a RAID1 setup. It can build the data over time?

I have one of those. Just got it friday and have only burned one disc so far. It’s posted in the Samsung forum here I’ll post some more in a few days.

Looks like a pretty good burn there! I read that thread before ordering. My drives come tomorrow.

I have some high expectations for them, but I’m more concerned about some Vista-related issues with RipIt4Me/DVDShrink software :frowning:

I don’t use those programs and i do [B]NOT[/B] have Vista either so no help from me there. Might stop back by here and let us know your experience.

:Z Wow that sux… are you sure you can’t ?? I crossflashed (a year ago) my older Dell Dimension 4700 with Dell OEM Philips DVDRW. That “fixed” problems I had back then…

SMART planning, but get a second hard drive A.S.A.P. so you can “match” the exact model to the one you have. I was lucky to get a PAIR (I ordered mine w/ factory RAID 0) of WD’s … not the nicer WD “RAID” edition HD’s with 3 year warranty’s, but a “matched” pair of WD2500JS Hawks… decent HD’s !!

At one time Dell offered a CHOICE of RAID 0 -or- RAID 1 CONFIGURATIONS from the factory… NOW it’s just RAID 0 :a … and I want RAID 1 (mirror) so I had to “change” the BIOS to RAID 1… it warned me (and I KNEW) ALL DATA would be wiped out… LOST forever… so I too wiped out the Dell “diagnostic” partition, etc. and did a clean install (one partition only) of MS Windows VISTA (Home Premium that came with the Dell) although now I wish I would have chosen the option to buy the XPS410 with the $170 Vista ULTIMATE “option” !! I have no “fax” and no “back-up” in Home Premium, along with encryption, etc. that comes with Ultimate edition.

:iagree: BY THE WAY… last week I decided NOT to buy the LITE-ON LH-20A1S (SATA) that was coming out and decided to buy a PLEXTOR 755SA instead. Expensive but reliable (I certainly hope) from what many have said and wrote. I installed it this past weekend… hardware went in fine (actually I used a shorter SATA cable I had) but oh what a “mess” the downloaded (LE) as well as the one on DVD - PLEXTOOLS made… BOTH locked up my Vista big time… got another FORUM THREAD here ALL about my “adventures” :a !!

Yup, pretty sure. I downloaded the flasher and everything from the Samsung site, but it wouldn’t work, with a “Drive not compatible” error or similar. Let me know if you find a a way, but I gave up after an hour of trying.

SMART planning, but get a second hard drive A.S.A.P. so you can “match” the exact model to the one you have. I was lucky to get a PAIR (I ordered mine w/ factory RAID 0) of WD’s … not the nicer WD “RAID” edition HD’s with 3 year warranty’s, but a “matched” pair of WD2500JS Hawks… decent HD’s !!

Mine came with a single 320GB Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda. I would like to match with another 320GB Seagate, as I have several and have good luck with them, plus 5 year warranty. Fry’s has a 320B WD on sale this week, it is awful tempting.

At one time Dell offered a CHOICE of RAID 0 -or- RAID 1 CONFIGURATIONS from the factory… NOW it’s just RAID 0 :a … and I want RAID 1 (mirror) so I had to “change” the BIOS to RAID 1… it warned me (and I KNEW) ALL DATA would be wiped out… LOST forever… so I too wiped out the Dell “diagnostic” partition, etc. and did a clean install (one partition only) of MS Windows VISTA (Home Premium that came with the Dell) although now I wish I would have chosen the option to buy the XPS410 with the $170 Vista ULTIMATE “option” !! I have no “fax” and no “back-up” in Home Premium, along with encryption, etc. that comes with Ultimate edition.

I got the Ultimate edition. In fact, that was one of the main reasons I got the 410, as it is one of the few you can cofigure with Ultimate.

:iagree: BY THE WAY… last week I decided NOT to buy the LITE-ON LH-20A1S (SATA) that was coming out and decided to buy a PLEXTOR 755SA instead. Expensive but reliable (I certainly hope) from what many have said and wrote. I installed it this past weekend… hardware went in fine (actually I used a shorter SATA cable I had) but oh what a “mess” the downloaded (LE) as well as the one on DVD - PLEXTOOLS made… BOTH locked up my Vista big time… got another FORUM THREAD here ALL about my “adventures” :a !!

That’s a drag. I have a nice Plextor 716A PATA drive that I wanted to use in the Vista machine (before I realized PATA wouldn’t work). Plextools is nice. I hope you find a workaround.