The best OS>?

when making backups whick operating system is preferred? Is there a reason to use win98se or me, xp or 2000. I was just wondering what people think about the different os’es

Ghost works pretty well.

But if you mean backups of your original cd… i have the best experiences with 98 SE

yes, you know how gamers preferred win98se over me. does os change the outcome of making backups?

If you think 98 is bloatware, wait till you see ME.

Otherwise, if you feel like upgrading, XP is actually a pretty stable OS. I’ve been using it for over a year now and I don’t think it has failed me as far as I can remember.

Much more stable than 98. I’ve had it running over two months without rebooting or crashing.

Please, no Linux jokes. :wink:

Originally posted by Bandit Won
yes, you know how gamers preferred win98se over me. does os change the outcome of making backups?

Yes actually, I read that Windows Xp does affect backups, Microsoft attempted to discourage making exact copies of data or any other type of media. The release of the newest service pack removed a lot of the code, I doubt all so now you can make those exact copies. At least thats what Microsoft says.

was ur 98se fully upgraded? because if it was, that os should be VERY stable.

no offense to microsoft - but xp seems like it was kind of rushed to market. very un-optomized, but that might be their plan :wink:

in regards to the original question - as long as you have administrator access to your pc’s, there shouldnt be any real difference from one os to another…unless u have an under-the-minimum specs pc.

Originally posted by animecabbit
[B]If you think 98 is bloatware, wait till you see ME.

Otherwise, if you feel like upgrading, XP is actually a pretty stable OS. I’ve been using it for over a year now and I don’t think it has failed me as far as I can remember.

Much more stable than 98. I’ve had it running over two months without rebooting or crashing.

Please, no Linux jokes. :wink: [/B]

Overall I do like Windows Xp due to the fact it is more stable, with the new service pack games run just as fast as 98SE, but I did have problems running older games on XP, my suggestion is get them both. Partion you hard drive and run XP and SE.

Originally posted by ckin2001
[B]was ur 98se fully upgraded? because if it was, that os should be VERY stable.

no offense to microsoft - but xp seems like it was kind of rushed to market. very un-optomized, but that might be their plan :wink:

in regards to the original question - as long as you have administrator access to your pc’s, there shouldnt be any real difference from one os to another…unless u have an under-the-minimum specs pc. [/B]

Yes, I had no problems with stabilty with 98Se but here and there its seems I could run XP longer than SE. XP seemed to manage the memory resources a lot better. True that it was very unoptimized but the latest service pack did fix a lot of issues.

Originally posted by Sashow
[B]

Overall I do like Windows Xp due to the fact it is more stable, with the new service pack games run just as fast as 98SE, but I did have problems running older games on XP, my suggestion is get them both. Partion you hard drive and run XP and SE. [/B]

Excellent advice. I was skeptical about XP at first so set up a dual boot XP/SE. Turns out I use XP 99% of the time. No major problem with it since first installed in April.

Please, no Linux jokes. :slight_smile:

Seriously, has anyone here tried Linux? If so, which one is better: Red Hat or Mandrake?

This is a serious question so please don’t laugh!

Originally posted by CJS
[B]

Seriously, has anyone here tried Linux? If so, which one is better: Red Hat or Mandrake?

This is a serious question so please don’t laugh! [/B]

Evil Entity is the best !

originally posted by Mr Belvedere
Evil Entity is the best !

thats if you can get it to install:confused: i cant for the life of me get it to install properly. Done it exactly as in your pm and all i got was this: …||… could not load operating system.

its got me f***ed

Originally posted by slayerking
[B]

thats if you can get it to install:confused: i cant for the life of me get it to install properly. Done it exactly as in your pm and all i got was this: …||… could not load operating system.

its got me f***ed [/B]

seems your previous bootmanagers and/or boot partitions are screwing things up… or that the pc is not a x686 based machine (which is pentium II or higher). try downloading xosl and install that bootmanager… it sure must see the linux partitions.

i installed red hat 7.1 no probs partitioned no probs all went well but evile just wont go.

system:athlon xp 1900+ , asus a7a266-e mobo, 2x40gb seagate hdd, 512 mb ddr ram, 64mb gf2 ultra, sb audigy, win xp.

just a bit better than a p2