The Best Optical Recording Drive

vbimport

I am looking to invest in a new writer for my computer.

I am going to be burning and ripping both CD’s and DVD’s.

Price is not an issue.

Can anyone who is knowledgable about the latest writers, tell me about a top-of-the-range writer which will give outstanding quality for both CD’s and DVD’s.

I would also like the DVD writer to be able to write to every possible DVD format (i.e. +/-, Dual Layer, R, RW, etc etc)

I have looked around these forums and yes i have found many different writers and suggestions, but i do not know which one is the best.

I would really appreciate a recomendation.

One good all rounder is the Optiarc 7240s. It is a SATA interface drive. I am NOT claiming it is [B]the best[/B] however, since I don’t think that drive actually exists.

The most important factors that influence burning quality are basically three: the disc, the drive firmware and the burning speed.

No drive can transform low quality media into good supports, so the first thing you have to do is use quality discs. With quality discs, basically every drive will give good burnings.

It is quite rare (but it can happen when a drive has been just released in the market) that a drive has a bad firmware so again the most important factor is to choose only quality discs.

Even the best disc if burned at the wrong speed can give bad results. Usually, 16x certified media give best results in most of cases when burned at 12x or 8x. Some very good discs can be burned also at 24x, but in most of cases 8x and 12x are the best choices :slight_smile:

I second Kerry’s suggestion about the Optiarc 7240, that is an excellent drive, and I agree also that the [I]perfect[/I] drive is only a myth :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2496973]The most important factors that influence burning quality are basically three: the disc, the drive firmware and the burning speed.[/quote]You forgot the drive here :wink:

and I agree also that the [I]perfect[/I] drive is only a myth :slight_smile:
Indeed :iagree:

But there is a good approximation:
Everytime you stumble upon a drive review, go and buy that drive if the review was a good one. You’ll then end up with half a dozen (or even more) drives :cool: Perhaps add some used drives that are considered as legends like some Plextor or Nexperia Benq.
It’s important that two of these drives are useable as scanners.

Then go shopping for blank media.
Test that media on each drive at all speeds supported. Advanced: you can also try different firmwares.
Set up a database (enterprise grade is good enough) to store the results.

Now you have found out the best drive/speed/media combination.
You can now go shopping for blank media again. The bad thing: your new discs are from another batch, so you need to start over with the determination of the best drive/media/speed/(optional: firmware) combination. :bigsmile:

If you’re done with that, you can go shopping new blank media again. And guess, what? Exactly, another batch which behaves different…

:cool:

Michael

Thank you very much Geno and Michael, your comments are very useful to me. Great community.

You’re welcome :bigsmile: