The Best DVD±RW for copying games?

Having read through many other threads, I still cannot find a definitive answer to my question, so have posted this thread.

What is the best DVD±RW Dual Format drive (ANY speed or brand!) that is able to copy the latest versions of both Safedisk AND Securom on CD, and also DVD (if it’s yet possible)?

How capable is the drive at copying DVD movies also?

:o I actually don’t know much about DVDRW units. I know some characteristics of CDRW units. My doubt is: will a X-branded CDRW with special features keep them although it is a DVDRW unit ? I’m not sure.

Anyway I know Asus are reported to be good SafeDisc readers and writers, Plextors (especially the Premium) are the best SecuROM 4.8x (and also 5.x if I’m not wrong) writing capable burners.

Pioneer is the inventor of the DVD-R(W) format, so I would expect high writing quality for their drives. However there is also the NEC ND-3500A which has very high quality. Pioneer DVR-A08 vs NEC 3500: who’ll win ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Main differences between the NEC and Pioneer are: the price (NEC’s usually cheaper) and the bitsetting support for DVD+R single layer. If you take a TDK or Maddog rebadged drive they will support bitsetting by default (thanks to packetloss ;)), otherwise it won’t unless you flash it with some modded firmware like Herrie’s 2.17 (you will void warranty). Pioneers do not support bitsetting for single layer disks -even with modded firmware-. Both the NEC and Pioneer DVDRW units automatically change the book type to DVD-ROM for DVD+R double layer.

If you wanna know more about the Pioneer DVR-108 (which is the OEM version of the A08, physically identical) read here.

Lite-On 1633s for DVD ripping.

Lite-On LTR-52327s for CD.