The "best" DVD DL media for movie archiving?

OK, dont laugh…

I know this subject may have been tossed around numerous times, but I’m still looking for an answer, and I’m unsure where to look here in the forums…

First, I live in Portland, Oregon. I dont mind shopping online, but would prefer to buy local. That means:

Frys
Fred Meyer Electronics
Office max
Office Depot
Staples
Best Buy
Circuit City (yuk)
Target Electronics
Assorted small mom and pops, with limited selections…

Brands I’ve seen:

Sony
HP
TDK
Some Maxell
Some Verbatim
Some Fuji
various generic stuff

Very few, if any “Made in Japan” DL disks, hence possibly no TY product locally.

I’d really like to get TY media, if the price is not too prohibitive…

I’m not looking for the “best” per se, but we all want the best, don’t we?? I just want to make decent backups of some of my more heavily watched DVDs. Something that will last, something that will burn consistently, etc…

I have a Lite-On iHAS220, current firmware, which has proven to be a reliable, solid burner for everything else I’ve used it for.

I’ve used CloneDVD2 with very good success for other things.

Suggestions on media, or good sources online with decent prices?? Brands mostly, as I’m willing to do the research as to where to buy if I cant buy locally…

Thanks for your help in advance!!

X

verbatim verbatim verbatim and verbatim really got verbatim on the mind :smiley: er yeah best dl disks by far i use cheaper ones but stuff i want to be reliable i use verb :slight_smile:

not always the cheapest disk but well worth it if u consider say you lose a 2 or 3 cheaper dl disks to every one successful one you burn

[quote=pdxfile;2227297]I’d really like to get TY media, if the price is not too prohibitive…[/quote] For DVD Single Layer (and CD-R) media, Taiyo Yuden is among the best.

For DVD-R Dual Layer media I’d advise against it, and for DVD+R Double Layer media Taiyo Yuden isn’t even an option.

The best choice for DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL is Verbatim media. Unless you have very specific reasons for wanting DVD-R DL (e.g. because you have a standalone DVD recorder which doesn’t support DVD+R DL) I advise you to get DVD+R DL instead. And did I mention Verbatim being the best choice? :smiley:

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

TY only sell their DVD-R DL media in Japan (AKAIF) under their in house brand 'That’s) You will not find any other Made In Japan DL media, as they are the only manufacturer in Japan. (And to be fair, the TY DL media is not actually as good as you would expect!)

Verbatim is the only reliable dual layer media out there. If buying instore, look for Made in Singapore media over India or Taiwan. Generally I have found that the 8x DL Verbatims give better results than the 2.4x. The only issue you may have is the iHAS220 (I have the iHAS120 which is the same model without the lightscribe) is quite a poor dual layer burner.

You can sometines get half decent results with other brand DL’s, but sometimes it’s not worth the risk. If you had a different burner it may be worth a punt. Verbatims are the way to go.

UAE-made TDKs can be also very decent, but they are very hard to find. :frowning:

[QUOTE=pepst;2227569]UAE-made TDKs can be also very decent, but they are very hard to find. :([/QUOTE]

I thought FTI was mainly using RICOH codes for DL. TDK code on DL ? Hmm sounds interesting.

Also it seems that RICOH MIJ might also be interresting. Need to do some more testing.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2227614]I thought FTI was mainly using RICOH codes for DL. TDK code on DL ? Hmm sounds interesting.

Also it seems that RICOH MIJ might also be interresting. Need to do some more testing.[/QUOTE]

I meant TDK branded DL media with Ricoh code made in UAE. :bigsmile:
I have never head about any DL media with TDK MID codes.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2227551]
The best choice for DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL is Verbatim media. Unless you have very specific reasons for wanting DVD-R DL (e.g. because you have a standalone DVD recorder which doesn’t support DVD+R DL) I advise you to get DVD+R DL instead. And did I mention Verbatim being the best choice? :smiley:

Welcome to CDFreaks! :)[/QUOTE]

LOL! Agree 1000% :iagree:

Except, I love me Verbie SL +Rs (especially the MII ones) :smiley:

I also second the nutty Dragon’s welcome!

The best DLs are Verbatim - all 2.4x and 8x +R DL as well as 4x(/6x) -R DL
It generally doesn’t matter - the most important thing with Verb DLs is that they should be Made In Singapore.

Taiyo Yuden DVD -R DLs are available at Nikoneko-Ya. As are -R DLs from Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (the brandname-ower of Verbatim, also using the AZO dye which is MKMs design).
http://stores.ebay.com/nikoneko-Ya

BTW to those that have knocked That’s -R DL, I’m curious as to why?

Mainly due to cost versus Verbatim dual layer, and also they don’t scan as nicely as drive support is poor, and the lower compatability of -R DL for video.

I wouldn’t say I’d knocked them, but there are better alternatives.

Thank you all for the welcome!!

A couple of further questions…

The Verbies are available here in Portland for about 40 bucks for a 20 or 25 pak (can’t remember which) only seemingly at Office Max. Decent price?? Singapore, India or Taiwan?? Country of manufacture more important than media codes, or if you get a disk made in Taiwan, for example, are the media codes going to be more or less the same???

I see alot of Sony +R DL media around these parts. Been priced as low as about 29 bucks for a 25 pak. Feedback or opinions??

Frys on today’s newspaper tab offers a 25 pak of Ritek +R DL media for 18 bucks. A good deal on crappy media??

Finally, is the iHAS220 going to be a problem child on DL media, and if so, is there a way around its “shortcomings”??

Thanks for all of the help!!

X

Have a look here for 20pk Verbs at $23.99 delivered

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/verb-2-4x-dl-20pk-23-99-shipped-267141/#post2227621

All Verb 2.4x DL will be MKM 001 and 8x will be MKM 003. The country will not change this. Country of origin is the key.

‘I think’ Sony DL’s are usually Ritek. Don’t quote me on that as I’m the other side of the pond. You can sometimes get reasonable results with Riteks, but not worth the gamble.

Have a look through this (long) thread for some Verb DL scans on the iHAS120/220

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-ihas120-220-dh20a6-243581/

Thanks for the tip on the Verbs…ordered some just now…

Anything I can do to get around the possible issues with DL and my drive??

I also have a Lite-On 20x LH-20A1P which I have been satisfied with, but have never burned any DL media on it…

One better than the other??

I have a difficult time reading the Nero Burn Speed charts you sent the link for.

Is there “instructions” as to how to read about the potential issues and media combos I can check up on??

I also work for Costco here in Oregon, and I’m interested in getting feedback on the “300 year life” gold CDs we promote and sell in the photo lab. Opinions??

Thanks,

X

I bought a 10 disc cake of Verbatim DVD+RDL 8X Made in India. My Lite-ON couldn’t even burn them. The LG makes coasters out of them at any speed less than 8X. So of 10 discs only 3 came out as usable.

Regards.

[QUOTE=engine;2229252]I bought a 10 disc cake of Verbatim DVD+RDL 8X Made in India. My Lite-ON couldn’t even burn them. The LG makes coasters out of them at any speed less than 8X. So of 10 discs only 3 came out as usable.

Regards.[/QUOTE]

Please post your scan :slight_smile:
Thanks

Already posted them here -> http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/mitsubishi-chemicals-dvd-r-dl-97058/index5.html#post2228449

I must burn them @ 8X or @ 10X on this LG. 8X is the best option. Two of the discs stopped burning in the middle. Had to power down PC, to be able to remove them from the drive. Two of them failed in the verification process while burning them @ 8X. Didn’t bother scanning them. Most problems occurred while burning more than 6.5 GB of data.

The Verbatim 16X DVD+R Made in China (MCC 004) I got are also terrible! Check here -> http://club.cdfreaks.com/f76/mitsubishi-chemicals-dvd-r-75682/index15.html#post2229259

Thanks for the info engine :slight_smile:

here is my scan Verb DL MIS
http://club.cdfreaks.com/2229278-post28.html

I got a 95 score in Nero CD-DVD Speed out of Verbatim MKM 001 MIS about two years ago.

[QUOTE=engine;2229302]I got a 95 score in Nero CD-DVD Speed out of Verbatim MKM 001 MIS about two years ago.[/QUOTE]
same here
it was good OLD Packaging :iagree:

Any feedback on how a Lite-On 20x LH-20A1P fares with DL media??

I have that as an option that I can switch to if needed, if it provides more consistent burning. Speed is not as critical as decent burns, so I have no problem with burning a bit more slowly if necessary.

I’m sorry, I do not know how to read the scans posted, so I would need someone to make sense of them for me.

Thanks,

Dave