The best CDRom for copying games

I had a look around the forum but have been unable to find a CDRom which will make a good image and detect Securom new and the new safedisk etc.

Is it CD, CDR, CDRW or DVD?

Can anyone help.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Detecting a protection depends more on the used software than on the device used. Most drives can read protection ok and the LiteOn DVD-ROMs are often mentioned as good readers. Personally when I need to back-up a game I use my writer to read the image. The Plextor CD-RW drives are good readers and so are the Yamaha’s. LiteOn is also good but has some problems with SecuRom New reading. Plextor drives are also known for their ability to read audio protections but it’s best to do a search in the audio forum to read more on these kind of protections.

Originally posted by muzzy
[B]I had a look around the forum but have been unable to find a CDRom which will make a good image and detect Securom new and the new safedisk etc.

Is it CD, CDR, CDRW or DVD?

Can anyone help.

:stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

I Have the Toshiba SDM1612 16x Dvd and its a fantastic drive, it reads everything that i have tossed at it, even Clone Cd recommends this drive for reading. I have tried the following dvd drives Sony, Liteon, Elements, Micortek and I like the Toshiba the best. PLus if you go to newegg its only $46.

Cheers

Ive been told that the Asus CDRW are good for reading, any views?

:bigsmile:

The Mitsubishi CD-ROM units are excellent audio rippers and reasonably fast readers for SafeDisc & SecuROM; they suck at LaserLock (40 mins for Desperados). I have three of these units because they’re cheap!

The ASUS writers are the best, non-audio, reader/writers around. They’re a one-stop-shop. The 40x is better value than the 48x and, I know, a faster reader :wink:

Originally posted by FutureProof
The ASUS writers are the best, non-audio, reader/writers around. They’re a one-stop-shop. The 40x is better value than the 48x and, I know, a faster reader :wink:

When you say non-audio do you meen it doesn’t read, write or play audio?

:confused:

No he doesn’t mean that at all. The asus writers can, of course, read, write and play audio. However, it’s very difficult for us here in oz to make any informed recommendations about reading/ripping copy protected audio cds because we don’t have any copy protected audio downunder.

Originally posted by philamber
No he doesn’t mean that at all. The asus writers can, of course, read, write and play audio. However, it’s very difficult for us here in oz to make any informed recommendations about reading/ripping copy protected audio cds because we don’t have any copy protected audio downunder.

Thanks for clearing that up.

:smiley:

what about the asus dvd-rom drive? any info?

Originally posted by webcrawler
what about the asus dvd-rom drive? any info?
Dunno. They’re probably as bad as the CD-ROMs - shockers, but I’d love to try one :wink:

Have an ASUS E616 (w/ Lite-On 48125W) that has been a very able & speedy reader, but haven’t tried the newest SecureROM.

I have a Toshiba SD-M 1502 which is a very good reader for copy protections. Read THIS from /www.cdrinfo.com to see their DVD round-up vol. 3 which compares the Asus e616, Toshiba SD-M1612, LiteOn LTD-163, Pioneer DVD-106s/2, and the BTC 316b

Taken from the conclusion summary:

When we started this new roundup we had in our mind that probably LiteOn LTD-163 would be the result winner as it happened in our two previous roundups. We can now say that this isn’t true.

Both ASUS and Toshiba drives have an increased performance in the most tests, except from the DAE area. ASUS E616 is the fastest drive for the CD format, has satisfactory CloneCD reading performance, can rip DVDs at high speed and reads all DVD-R/RW/+RW formats. The best part is that you can reset the region counter by a simple trick as described in the first page. On the dark side, the drive has a low DAE speed with CDR media, cannot “handle” Audio protected CDs, and it is noisy when reading at full speed, despite the DDSSII system. There are also complains that the drive sometimes takes too long to spin up. We hope that some of the problems will be fixed with future firmware upgrades.

Toshiba SD-M1612 has the best CloneCD reading performance among all the tested DVD-ROM drives. The drive can also read HS-RW media at full speed and recognizes both 90/99min CDs without any problems. In case you have DVD-RAM discs, Toshiba SD-M1612 will not let you down. On the other hand, the drive has a permanent RPC2 protection which cannot be flashed with firmware updates (!!), failed to recognize our bad DAE test disc, doesn’t support DVD+RW format, cannot handle Audio protected CDs and has a low DVD/DAE ripping speed.

The prices of both drives are low enough to be directly compared with LiteOn LTD163. LiteOn LTD-163 has something that none of the rest of the drives have: The highest DAE ripping performance you can find around. Also, it has not the highest, but good enough CD/DVD reading speed, and a low CloneCD reading performance. You have to consider your needs and see which drive interests you more.

The best is always a relative term. Some drives will do different things better than other drives. It is rare that one particular brand of DVD rom, CDR-RW drive, or whatever will take the blue ribbon across the board in all catagories. You just need to pick the one that will do what you want it to do best.

Originally posted by stretcharmstron
I have a Toshiba SD-M 1502 which is a very good reader for copy protections.
Yeah, but don’t read SafeDisc or LaserLock in Software mode though; it produces an imperfect backup that works in the 1502 only and will, occasionally, fail verification. ASUS burners can play a Software mode EC, 1502 SafeDisc backup.

I own a LiteON LTD 165h and this DVD drive does a excellent job reading all versions of Safedisc. I have yet to test SecuROM4NEW but I’m confident this drive will produce superior results. This drive is also excellent for ripping dvd’s to your hd. Toshiba drives are VERY SLOW, lol.

Shoebedobedoo :cool:

Originally posted by Shoebedobedoo
[B]I own a LiteON LTD 165h and this DVD drive does a excellent job reading all versions of Safedisc. I have yet to test SecuROM4NEW but I’m confident this drive will produce superior results. This drive is also excellent for ripping dvd’s to your hd. Toshiba drives are VERY SLOW, lol.

Shoebedobedoo :cool: [/B]

Could you post the results when you have tested Securom 4 New.

Cheers

:bigsmile:

Has anyone tested the reading/dumping capabilities of the LiteOn LTD165H (DVDROM) and the Asus E616 (DVDROM) with regards to making an image of SafeDisc 2.8x and Securom 4.8x?

What I can confirm is that my Asus CRW-4012a burner copied SD 2.8 with success and the backup will play on myLiteON LTD 165H DVD-Rom (there was no need for emulation). I have no SecuROM4New games to test… My read time for The Sims Unleashed (LiteON LTD 165H) was between 3-4 minutes. Sorry I don’t save my logs m8. If your comparing the 2 to see which you prefer I can also say the LiteON LTD 165H rips dvd’s to the hd quick for conversion or 1:1 copy. (DVD-R, SVCD, VCD,DivX) :smiley:

Shoebedobedoo :cool:

My Liteon LTD165H works very well as a reader of Securom *New and SD - all versions including 2.8. It is very good with BlindWrite’s physical cd characteristic dumper.

When it comes to verifiyng the burnt copies, it only takes a few seconds.

RPC1 firmware is also available. The drive is very quiet.