The best and worst NEC or Optiarc drive ever

vbimport

I would like to know you guys and gals opinions on what was the best or worse NEC or Optiarc drive ever

I would also like to know how you came to your conclusion
Which model?
Why was it great?
Why did it suck?
Do you still use this drive?

T.I.A. for your answers

The choice about best is very simple, 3500 & 7200 both drives burn everything you throw in very nice.

Why it was great? Already answered, but you can add to that the Liggy & Dee firmware.

The 4570 was the worst, because of the silly spike at 0.5G.

Yes i still use all my nec drives (from time to time), all of them work fine.

The best is easy the 7200A is very good and just burns everything very well
I did not like the 7173 for burning DVD it was good for burning CD-R

The 7200A is my main burner and I no longer use the 7173

Hmmm, my best Optiarc. I’ve only owned two NEC/Optiarc drives, but I have to say the best of the two is my AD-5170S.

Great CD burner, great DVD burner, scans CDs, does TRTs, fast reader/ripper…lovely little drive. And yes, I use it, it’s in my main PC :slight_smile:

I’m tempted to get a 72xx model…but I love my 5170S too much to replace it :o

The other NEC drive I have (4551A), while not being a hot DVD burner due to nasty relinking spikes, isn’t bad enough to be called my worst :wink:

I’ve had the following (Sony) NEC (Optiarc) drives:

ND-3500AG
ND-4551A
AD-7173A
AD-7170A
AD-5170A
AD-7203A
AD-7200A

The drive that I have used the most is the NEC ND-3500AG, because it was a solid drive and I only had two DVD burners at the time (the other being a Plextor PX-712A).

The drive series that I consider “best” is the 7200/7203 which has excellent burn quality on DVD+/-R media (at reasonable burning speeds) and also on CD-R media. They seem to be useful scanners for both CD and DVD media, although I have better drives for both types of scanning.

The worst drive for burn quality in the ND-4551A which has really nasty relinking problems when burning DVD media faster than 4x. The burned DVDs are often unreadable in several drives.

My nomination for overall worst series is the 5170/7170/7173 series for the following reasons:

• Terrible build quality (two drives DOA, one drive dead after few months of very light use, huge variation in burn quality between individual drives)
  • Useless for scanning DVD media
  • Semi-evil relinking for burns at faster burn speeds causing major slowdowns in Read Transfer Tests, especially for DVD+R media

Still my one and only: 3500AG. Burned over 2000 DVD’s countless CD’s, one coaster due to a bad disc. I actually bought an LGH10L a few years ago just in case, it’s still in the box unopened. Oh yeah, this is the third PC I’ve had it in.

I’ve only had two NEC drives, a 1300a and a 3450a.

The 1300a was my first dvd burner and I put it through its paces! Lots of burns and never gave me problems with good media. It really didn’t like the TDK disks I tried once, (RicohJPN1), but that was the only thing it balked at. It is still going strong in one of my sister’s computers, though the only media I would feed it these days is Yuden000 T02. It was a solidly made drive, excellent results and durability and made a great introduction to dvd burners.

The 3450a was one I installed on the computer of an elderly friend of mine. He burned cds with it, but almost no dvds. He gave it to me when he upgraded this year and now it also resides in my sister’s computer. I tested one dvd burn in it, and which turned out fine, but I can’t say that I know much about the drive, other than the fact it probably has fewer than a dozen dvd burns in its history.

The worst one: Sony AW-Q170A. It stopped from reading and writing DVD+RW/-RW nedia after only after a few months that I’ve bought it, so I returned it.

Reading here at the forum and looking at the reviews, I bought a new Optiarc AD-7200S (actually, I wanted the A model but they are out of stock now). So far it’s a very good drive and can scan CDs, which is important for me.

I had an 1100a first in an external USB2 box (Freecom branded), which was also a good solid drive in its day. I was not as unlucky as Kerry56 and only had very good experiences with RICOH JPNR01 discs. The 1100a got taken out, flashed to a 1300a, and still writes well enough. :slight_smile:

Then graduated to an internal 2500 which I attached to the USB circuitry of the above 1100a, and later was able to be flashed with Herrie’s firmware to a 2510. I still remember the excitement at learning that double layer burning ability was essentially hidden in some older drives and could be enabled by firmware. Made some good burns on early Ritek DL media; which as you might predict have not stood the test of time.

Those are the only 2 NEC drives I’ve owned and have nothing but fond memories of them. :slight_smile: BTW I’m still using the USB2 circuitboard to attach old IDE hard drives…

I really like my new AD-7201S. The burn quality on MCC004 discs is outstanding even at high speed.

I’m not really satisfied with the ND-7551A. Write quality could have been better and firmware support for adding new media has been missing right from the start.

ND-3500A was awesome and propably the best 16x burner ever made.
AD-72xx are proving to be outstanding burners and excellent CD audio rippers. I also agree with [B]Drage[/B] that they are very useful scanning drives.

My worst NEC drives.
455x range and 457xx range. Mines was pretty poor. I don’t use them anymore.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2152326]ND-3500A was awesome and propably the best 16x burner ever made.
AD-72xx are proving to be outstanding burners and excellent CD audio rippers. I also agree with [B]Drage[/B] that they are very useful scanning drives.

My worst NEC drives.
455x range and 457xx range. Mines was pretty poor. I don’t use them anymore.[/QUOTE]

I really like my two 7200 series drives which are the only NEC or Optiarcs I have owned.

I would like to hear more about their use as quality scanners, especially for CD media.

okay this thread finally convinced me into getting a 7201A from newegg for 25.99/free shipping. :slight_smile: [i know the 7200 was cheaper awhile back, but ive been holding off]

been true to my 115D since i purchased it in May 2008, all the hype finally got to me. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2152335]
I would like to hear more about their use as quality scanners, especially for CD media.[/QUOTE]

I made a CD-R quality test between the BenQ and Optiarc drives and the results were quite similar. Link.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2152430]I made a CD-R quality test between the BenQ and Optiarc drives and the results were quite similar. Link.[/QUOTE]

Thanks juancdg

Was hoping to be able to compare the Optiarc with some of the older Lite-on CDRW drives at 48X.

My Lite-on which I used for review purposes is in the ODD grave yard and I would like to come up with a good replacement.

Agreed with everyone, the 3500 was a fantastic 16x burner, still got mine. Very impressed with the 720x-series, just picked up a 7201S, which will complement nicely with the two 7200S and one 7203S. :slight_smile: The 7170A/170A was the worst for me.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2150003]
The drive series that I consider “best” is the 7200/7203 which has excellent burn quality on DVD+/-R media (at reasonable burning speeds) and also on CD-R media. They seem to be useful scanners for both CD and DVD media, although I have better drives for both types of scanning.[/QUOTE]

May I ask you which drives you are refering to (being better CD and DVD scanners)?
One reason why I ask: the scanning abilities of the 7203S would have been one of the main reasons for me to buy one during the next few days.
Thanks,
febe

[quote=febe;2156086]May I ask you which drives you are refering to (being better CD and DVD scanners)?[/quote] Better CD scanners in my arsenal: BenQ DW1655, Plextor PX-760A

Better DVD scanners in my arsenal: LiteOn SHM-165P6S (and two other LiteOns), BenQ DW1655, Plextor PX-760A