The Amish built a laptop!

vbimport

Well... OK... so it's not exactly what we would call a computer....but it's the most advanced abacus in history! Using ultra-low tech antique equipment the Amish have actually built a portable "computer" that is capable of accessing the Internet!

The complete site

Features:

13 x 6 Bead Resolution

78 RAB (Random Access Bead) Memory

All wood construction

Chalk & slate based input

Holders for slate, chalk, charcoal and stylus

1 Chicken Power Supply

Built-in Modem (see FAQ for more info)

Hehehe…

Isn’t there an Amish law that says when they are either 18 or 21 (Forget which), that they must go out into the world, and party, booze, use drugs, get hookers, etc., and then they decide to either leave the community forever, or go back forever?

Originally posted by SirDavidGuy
[B]Hehehe…

Isn’t there an Amish law that says when they are either 18 or 21 (Forget which), that they must go out into the world, and party, booze, use drugs, get hookers, etc., and then they decide to either leave the community forever, or go back forever? [/B]

Don’t think so, if they knew what a great place the world was, they 'd never go back :wink: Nice piece Mr. Belvedere

don’t want to be mr knowitall, but do you guys read papers ???
it’s common known that young Amish , after having a good lookaround, return to their communiy voluntarely …is this in our advantage ???
I think it (at least) leaves some questions about what we think is reality , don’t you ??

when the amish are 16, they can go out into the world and party. then they can decide whether to come back or stay. many decide to go back because they live a happier, simpler live in the amish community. Many who stay in the “real world” regret their decision

Usually the happiest people on the planet are the fools , the ignorant , the mentally challenged and have a simple pattern in life.

So i don’t doubt that Amish who decided to live outside the community regret their deciscion.

Go watch Kingpin

imagine yourself @ 16 leaving everything you’ve ever known, especially the near puritan society they have, and venturing out. the world would scare the hell out of me if i wasnt in it every day. i’d go back in a heartbeat. we actually have ‘amish country’ about 40 minutes from my house, its rather quaint, after u get over the smell of the horseshit.

true story - a town wanted the amish to pay a tax or in some way take care of the manure on the roads from their horse-drawn carriages. the amish fire back about air pollution from cars. :wink: