That's/Taiyo Yuden TDK BD-R DL scan discussion

vbimport

Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) 41.88GB burned at 4x w/ ImgBurn
OPC and Verify not required enabled
That’s(Taiyo Yuden) 4x BD-R DL
Wide sputtered white inkjet hub printable
MID: TDKBLD-RFB-000
Burned at 4x w/ ImgBurn

These Taiyo Yuden BD-R DL’s are knockin’ my socks off :eek::bigsmile:. Sellers seem to have caught wind of their potential and some have raised their prices from $4.00/ea. to $10.00/ea. since introducing them 2 months ago :sad:.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2630545]Lite-on iHBS112-29(CLOK) 41.88GB burned at 4x w/ ImgBurn
OPC and Verify not required enabled
MID: TDKBLD-RFB-000
Burned at 4x w/ ImgBurn

These Taiyo Yuden BD-R DL’s are knockin’ my socks off :eek::bigsmile:. Sellers seem to have caught wind of their potential and some have raised their prices from $4.00/ea. to $10.00/ea. since introducing them 2 months ago :sad:.[/QUOTE]
:bow:

Thanks JC :flower:

Anyone interested in grabbing them at the VERY reasonable $4.00/ea. can look here, here, or here. I will definitely be keeping my eye on these for good deals :iagree:.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2630554]Thanks JC :flower:

Anyone interested in grabbing them at the VERY reasonable $4.00/ea. can look here, here, or here. I will definitely be keeping my eye on these for good deals :iagree:.[/QUOTE]

Greetings Dean. Many thanks for the info.

There appears to be great disparity in price of these 50GB Taiyo Yuden BD-R DL;

1. 10 discs @ $99.00, offered by u-japan.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400260955872&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

2. 20 discs @ $199.00, offered by j-stop.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-20-Taiyo-Yuden-bluray-bd-r-dl-50-GB-blu-ray-dvd-4X-Full-printable-No-Logo-/290658860394?pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item43ac9e3d6a

3. 50 discs @ $185.99, offered by j-stop.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280859288051&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Are these the same thing? Which is the correct one?

Would you also recommend the 25GB ones?

Many thanks and best regards.

Welcome to the forum:flower:

I ordered that same 10 spindle in example #1 from U-Japan one month ago for $39.90/shipped. They raised their price to $99.00/shipped a couple weeks ago. Apparently they believe that people may be willing to spend that much for a Taiyo Yuden BD-R DL. I more recently bought from jp-gift and they are the same discs. All the links you provided are the same model # as the discs I received. I don’t know if the sellers are simply trying to make more money with them or if their distributor raised their prices.

The discs I’ve burned have been very good so far, and another member here has purchased some and will be adding his results soon I believe. These are burning better for me than the JVC or TDK branded TDKBLDRFB I’ve tried recently. Haven’t had good consistency with Verbatim BD-R DL’s. Hopefully these Taiyo Yuden will prove to be as consistently good as those I’ve used, we shall see. Having Taiyo Yuden behind them certainly makes one want to believe they will keep a good quality.

In short, ignore the price differences. Get them as cheaply as you can.

I do not have experience with the LTH That’s 25GB BD-R.

Many thanks, Dean.

1. These are MIC according to Startlab,. Any concern with consistency?
  2. They come in 10 disc and 25 disc packs. Both have the same TDK MID code (TDKBLD-RFB-000)?
  3. Are these better than the SmartbBlu?
  4. What ImgBurn setting would you suggest for using a Pioneer BDR-206?

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2632197]Many thanks, Dean.

1. These are MIC according to Startlab,. Any concern with consistency?

2. They come in 10 disc and 25 disc packs. Both have the same TDK MID code (TDKBLD-RFB-000)?

3. Are these better than the SmartbBlu?

4. What ImgBurn setting would you suggest for using a Pioneer BDR-206?[/QUOTE]

5. Always concerned with consistency :). As these are a relatively new BD-R DL option, there is not a lot of feedback to be found yet. I was concerned with the rising prices and wished to alert others to a new good-looking option before the price rises out of the “give em a try” range ;). I have not yet burned 100’s of them and certainly can’t give a 100% stamp of approval.

6. Haven’t snagged the 25 spindles yet.

7. The SmartBlu BD-R DL’s have been quite good, but not a mainstay for me as I use mostly printables personally and professionally. I’m glad to see a wide-sputtered DL printable in this price range burning this good. SmartBlu BD-R SL’s are easily the leader for consistent quality burns and trouble-free playback in the $2.00 or less SL category(in the US).

8. I’ll post 206 results shortly, let you know what I find. So far LG’s and iHBS112 like 'em :slight_smile: and 205 looks pretty decent.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2632282]1. Always concerned with consistency :). As these are a relatively new BD-R DL option, there is not a lot of feedback to be found yet. I was concerned with the rising prices and wished to alert others to a new good-looking option before the price rises out of the “give em a try” range ;). I have not yet burned 100’s of them and certainly can’t give a 100% stamp of approval.

1. Haven’t snagged the 25 spindles yet.

2. The SmartBlu BD-R DL’s have been quite good, but not a mainstay for me as I use mostly printables personally and professionally. I’m glad to see a wide-sputtered DL printable in this price range burning this good. SmartBlu BD-R SL’s are easily the leader for consistent quality burns and trouble-free playback in the $2.00 or less SL category(in the US).

3. I’ll post 206 results shortly, let you know what I find. So far LG’s and iHBS112 like 'em :slight_smile: and 205 looks pretty decent.[/QUOTE]

Greetings Dean.

1. Picked up these 10-packs from j-stop.
  2. Can you kindly post Nero Disc Quality Scan as well for comparison?
  3. How is the Sony 5300s compared to the Pioneer 206 for burning?

Thanks and best regards.

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2632637]Greetings Dean.

1. Picked up these 10-packs from j-stop.
  2. Can you kindly post Nero Disc Quality Scan as well for comparison?
  3. How is the Sony 5300s compared to the Pioneer 206 for burning?

Thanks and best regards.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I’ll do a QS w/ Nero. I haven’t crossflashed my 112 to a Sony yet, so I can’t say if Sony’s firmware is comparable to Lite-on’s in this regard. With very similar hardware, I will not be surprised if the Sony does very well with them like the Lite-on. So far, up to 8x burns look good in the Pio and give smooth playback, but I will prefer to burn at 4-6x I suspect.

Sorry, no luck with DiscSpeed scanning for me. I believe it is better to avoid it.

Pioneer BDR-206(1.05) 45.85GB burned at 8x w/ ImgBurn
OPC and Verify not required on
MID: TDKBLDRFB-000

My worst burn so far with these. Not bad at all. TRTs have been perfect, with a read speed dip at the layer change that’s among the smallest/best I’ve seen.

Media: That’s 4x BD-R DL
MID: TDKBLDRFB (000)
Burner: PIONEER BDR-206
Burn Speed: 4x
ImgBurn setting (default):

• Perform OPC before write : Unchecked
  • BD-R verify not required : Checked
    Scanner : Samsung SH-B123L , Sony BD-5300S
    Scan Speed : 4x

Looks decent at 4x burn and scan speed. Even the Nero scan is well behaved.

Thanks for the recommendation, Dean. By the way, how does one print the label onto the disc?

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2633953]Media: That’s 4x BD-R DL
MID: TDKBLDRFB (000)
Burner: PIONEER BDR-206
Burn Speed: 4x
ImgBurn setting (default):

• Perform OPC before write : Unchecked
  • BD-R verify not required : Checked
    Scanner : Samsung SH-B123L , Sony BD-5300S
    Scan Speed : 4x

Looks decent at 4x burn and scan speed. Even the Nero scan is well behaved.

Thanks for the recommendation, Dean. By the way, how does one print the label onto the disc?[/QUOTE]
:clap: Excellent! You’re welcome.

Big improvement over the Verbatim DL burns. Similar to my experiences.

Looks decent? It looks as good as the store-bought BD that you scanned :). Those discs look to be a very good match for your Pioneer. Thank you for sharing your experience with these relatively new discs :flower:. Glad you had a chance to grab some before all the sellers decide they are worth $10.00+ each.

I use one of these for disc printing. You can occasionally find this printer as low as $79.00. They include a disc printing program and plenty of inexpensive generic ink carts and CISS available for them. Will you be printing movie disc labels or simply data back-ups? A sharpy works too :). If printing movie labels, cdcovers.cc has quite a lot of them. Membership sites like R1DB.com and Hirescovers.net offer custom labels that are often nicer than the original.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2633993]:clap: Excellent! You’re welcome.

Big improvement over the Verbatim DL burns. Similar to my experiences.

Looks decent? It looks as good as the store-bought BD that you scanned :). Those discs look to be a very good match for your Pioneer. Thank you for sharing your experience with these relatively new discs :flower:. Glad you had a chance to grab some before all the sellers decide they are worth $10.00+ each.

I use one of these for disc printing. You can occasionally find this printer as low as $79.00. They include a disc printing program and plenty of inexpensive generic ink carts and CISS available for them. Will you be printing movie disc labels or simply data back-ups? A sharpy works too :). If printing movie labels, cdcovers.cc has quite a lot of them. Membership sites like R1DB.com and Hirescovers.net offer custom labels that are often nicer than the original.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions, Dean.
Can I use a laser printer or a Lightscribe burner?

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2642527]Thanks for the suggestions, Dean.
Can I use a laser printer or a Lightscribe burner?[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome. Unfortunately only an inkjet printer will work with inkjet printables.

Thanks again, Dean.

** Thread split from discussion in the BD-R Tests Forum ** :wink:

Are the Taiyo Yuden BD-R DL better then the Verbatim BD-R DL? I have been buying the DL Verbatim open discs on ebay for a while. I burn all discs on my Pioneer BDR-205 and I have never burnt a coaster with the ebay Verbatim, and I have burned maybe close to a few hundred. The only time I burnt coasters was when I purchased the open discs of Mitsubishi BD-R DL, my burner hated those discs or they where just bad discs. I am interested in the Taiyo Yunden DL discs because I can get them cheaper then the opened Verbatim and they will be sealed fresh in a cake box.

[QUOTE=After_Burn22;2644226]Are the Taiyo Yuden BD-R DL better then the Verbatim BD-R DL? I have been buying the DL Verbatim open discs on ebay for a while. I burn all discs on my Pioneer BDR-205 and I have never burnt a coaster with the ebay Verbatim, and I have burned maybe close to a few hundred. The only time I burnt coasters was when I purchased the open discs of Mitsubishi BD-R DL, my burner hated those discs or they where just bad discs. I am interested in the Taiyo Yunden DL discs because I can get them cheaper then the opened Verbatim and they will be sealed fresh in a cake box.[/QUOTE]

1. I switched to the Taiyo DL because of unsatisfactory results with the Verbatim-f DL. See this:

http://club.myce.com/f33/verbatim-6x-bdr-dl-verbatimf-327068/#.UAZ2yZiZiSo

1. The source of these Taiyo’s remains a mystery. They are not available on That’s website, and the TDK MIDs are supposed to be owned by FTI. Perhaps Dean is able to provide more details.

I also found it weird when I went to Taiyo Yuden’s website they only had there BD-R’s listed. I really don’t care who makes them, as long as they burn good and can hold the data. The Verbatim’s I get from ebay are the 4x white printable tops and have the MID of VERBAT-IMd-000 and I have never had a problem with them. I always burn at 4x and do a verify with ImgBurn, not a single coaster yet, knock on wood. I think I might try a 10 pack of the Taiyo Yuden’s next month and see how it goes with them. I just like the fact they are a few cents cheaper per disc and unopened in a cake box.

[QUOTE=After_Burn22;2644226]Are the Taiyo Yuden BD-R DL better then the Verbatim BD-R DL? I have been buying the DL Verbatim open discs on ebay for a while. I burn all discs on my Pioneer BDR-205 and I have never burnt a coaster with the ebay Verbatim, and I have burned maybe close to a few hundred. The only time I burnt coasters was when I purchased the open discs of Mitsubishi BD-R DL, my burner hated those discs or they where just bad discs. I am interested in the Taiyo Yunden DL discs because I can get them cheaper then the opened Verbatim and they will be sealed fresh in a cake box.[/QUOTE]

I can only say that the TY BD-R DL have been burning very good for me. And the results I am seeing from others around here look very encouraging. Like you, I have had mostly good but variable results with Mitsubishi/Verbatim BD-R DL.

Getting them in a sealed spindle at a price competitive with potentially mishandled and unknown quality grade repacked DLs is a big plus in my book, too.

There is a TDK factory in China that has been manufacturing BD-R DL for over 2 years now, info here, that may be the source for these. Still doing detective work trying to nail this down :). But those details are certainly not as important as good results, right?

The discs are listed at the Startlab/That’s website.