That's some pig: Boy, 11, shoots 1,051 pound hog

An 11-year-old boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog his father says weighed a staggering 1,051 pounds and measured 9 feet 4, from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. Think hams as big as car tires.

Story:http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/25/monster.pig.ap/index.html

A little reminder of HOGZILLA huh, turned out to be a fake and the picture was edited and enlarged. It was then concluded that the environ which the claimed HOGZILLA can not sustain such massive size due to lack of food although it was a hybrid escapee from the pig farm and going back to the farm every night to eat the feeds instead of hunting tubers and roots reason why it grown so large but not as large as it was claimed before the being exhumed and the scull was measured. I am sceptical.

i saw that article a couple days ago on Digg and obviously it’s quite the picture, but the article sort of disappointed me.

i normally don’t have anything against hunting. i have family members that hunt so it’s nothing foreign to me. I don’t really like the idea of hunting, but I’m no activist that’s for sure. What does bother me is the length they go to to congratulate this kid like he did something great.

I understand that tracking an unpredictable animal for hours while you slowly kill it probably takes patience and a little guts, but seriously. I was just uncomfortable with the amount of credit they gave this kid i guess…congratulations on killing something that’s a lot bigger than you while you outnumbered it and followed it for hours with technology that is much greater (guns).

It’s certainly an interesting read, but I would have preferred an article more like “wow look at this pig this kid killed…and this is how a pig can get that big and this is why the environment supported that growth blah blah”

not to mention the disregard for the environment in removing trees to bring heavy machinery in to get the pig out in one piece for its photo op…and I want to stress that pictures of dead animals don’t bother me…there’s no shock value behind my opinion as I write this. It’s just the article that really bugs me.

that’s just my opinion though. i’m sure many will disagree.

EDIT: this article is edited from the one I originally read. The original article listed celebrities that had contacted the boy to congratulate him (mostly country music stars) and mentioned him receiving some sort of award.

here is the article i had originally read. apparently it was from fox news http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275524,00.html

so I guess congrats to CNN for not manipulating the AP article like Fox admittedly does.

Pathetic. this meat is like 100 years old and likely wasnt moving much at all. i doubt it can even be eaten… and i wonder what would they say if the pig won.

if the pig won it would have been a “tragedy” and they would have sent a team out to hunt it down and kill it because it’s a danger.

obviously anything is a danger when you try to kill it…I wouldn’t let someone try to shoot me without a fight…

Nice . . . I doubt very seriously if anything is very edible though. I guess you could make jerky out of the meat though. It might be ok that way.

Call me dumb. But what on earth is an 11 year old doing with a weapon that can kill something that large? :doh:

When you grow up in small towns or on farms kids learn to use guns at early age.

No offence - just call me dumb

That’s the way it was when i was growing up in small town USA. Fathers take their kids out and go hunting with real rifles and pistols at early age. My father took me out for the 1st time when i was 8 or 9 yrs old.

I’ve never shot a gun, and I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable with multiple guns in the house, but that’s a personal thing, and I don’t think age is an issue. Kids who grow up learning how to properly use and care for guns are probably more likely to be responsible with them. (My own opinion…assuming the person teaching them about guns is responsible of course!)

either way, the kid in the article wasn’t running around unsupervised shooting stuff. His dad was with him on a hunting trip. In small towns it’s pretty common for kids to go hunting. (Maybe this is a US thing?)

yes your father took you out and showed you all the safety things about guns and take them apart for cleaning, stuff like that :slight_smile: I have a 22 long rifle .cal rifle. A 22 long rifle revolver. A .9mm pistol, and a 40 .cal pistol that’s loaded (all the time)by my side of the bed. I’ve showed my 13 yr old daughter how to use them. She has shot the 22 .cal pistol a few times. She was 11 at the time. She has never shot the 9mm or the 40 .cal but she knows how to take safety off and pull the action back to load a shell.

i think if there were a gun in my house i’d like to know how to use it in case I ever had a reason to, but it’s definitely not something on my immediate to do list.

oh, and don’t be surprised if your daughter’s boyfriends in the future are petrified of you lol :wink:

That’s a good thing about the boy friends :bigsmile:

Yes you need to learn it all. How to shoot them,safety, and learn how to clean them.

How to shoot the boy friends and clean them? :eek: :wink:

:bigsmile:

well duh…they have to be cleaned if you’re going to have them stuffed and mounted as warnings to the future ones

Krazy internetz :bigsmile:

lmao :bigsmile:

Ah! Of course! :smiley: