That's BD-R = Panasonic MID for dual-layer AND single-layer?

vbimport

Looking on Ebay (which seems cheapest for the last few years in terms of BD-R for me) I can see there’s some new discs from That’s. They don’t appear to be the dreaded LTH. In fact the seller claims MID from Panasonic.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-Taiyo-Yuden-Blu-Ray-Discs-25GB-BD-R-Single-Layer-4x-Speed-Printable-Discs-/151325213981?pt=Blank_Media&hash=item233baf851d

At roughly $1 per disc, if these are indeed Panasonic MID, then it’s one of the best deals I have seen. Anyone know for sure? I’m tempted but there are Panasonic genuine branded discs for sale at around $80 for 60 discs so do I go the cheaper riskier option or play it safe? :doh:

I’ve ordered some last week (not 100 pack), will report back when I get them.

MIC? MII?

I see reviews on Amazon Japan with lower ratings for That’s BD-R listings with æµ·å¤–æŒ‡å®šå·¥å ´ç”Ÿç”£ (the text in mariner’s image above, maybe equivalent to “overseas factory production”); the user reviews state that the discs are from Taiwan and such, and are made by Ritek. (This information courtesy of Google Translate).

A few of the posts also refer to this maybe being the result of a joint venture with Sony; if that aspect is correct, given the Sony has been known to use Ritek as well, it would make sense.

Given those user reviews, I’m assuming that the actual disc model is a RITEKBR_ code, and not an outsourced Sony or JVC/TY MID. But I would be happy to see that guess be wrong.

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2732605]MIC? MII?

[/QUOTE]

The snippet You selected is not the “Made in …” print.

インド製 means “Made in India”,

中国製 means “Made in China”.

Panasonic BD-R25 4x made in India are possible, they do exist!

The mediacode is MEI-T02-001.

[QUOTE=chef;2732602]I’ve ordered some last week (not 100 pack), will report back when I get them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I wonder if the seller just copied his Dual Layer info by accident?

Yeah, looks incorrect. :wink:

Received them yet chef? I’m itching to know haha

Yep, got them yesterday.

MID is “MEI-T02-001’” …

Aw, sorry, mine are DL, you wanted to buy SL??

Yes haha but still, that’s interesting. That’s DL used to be a TDK MID now it’s a Panasonic.

Hi, does Taiyo Yuden make Panasonic BD-Rs now? I’ve seen sellers on ebay selling mid id of MEI-T02-001 as Taiyo Yuden.

Having recently purchased Taiyo Yuden 50 x 25gb (That’s brand from Japan seller on ebay) and finding them to have a mid id of RITEK-BR2-000:confused: it’s getting stressful to buy blank media.

All I want to buy is genuine TY media.

Cheers.

aboy, moved your post into this thread since it very much fits with the original topic of the thread. Hopefully you can find a way to figure out how to get the superior Panasonic-made media instead of the less-pleasing Ritek media. (TY/JVC don’t have a really good BD-R disc of its own, either).

[QUOTE=Albert;2734617]aboy, moved your post into this thread since it very much fits with the original topic of the thread. Hopefully you can find a way to figure out how to get the superior Panasonic-made media instead of the less-pleasing Ritek media. (TY/JVC don’t have a really good BD-R disc of its own, either).[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Great reading.

[QUOTE=aboy;2734522]Hi, does Taiyo Yuden make Panasonic BD-Rs now? I’ve seen sellers on ebay selling mid id of MEI-T02-001 as Taiyo Yuden.

Having recently purchased Taiyo Yuden 50 x 25gb (That’s brand from Japan seller on ebay) and finding them to have a mid id of RITEK-BR2-000:confused: it’s getting stressful to buy blank media.

All I want to buy is genuine TY media.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Wow there’s the answer I was looking for. The new TY dual layers have been reported to be Panasonic. You have just confirmed the single layer is Ritek. My riteks have been fine but TY selling Ritek is just ridiculous, plus you can buy other media that might be ritek for cheaper.

Seems like the safest bet for BD-R is genuine Panasonic single layer discs! Trust me, TY are no good at BD-R, Panasonic are king.

[tweaked the thread title to make future reference re: DL and SL media a bit easier]

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2734630]Wow there’s the answer I was looking for. The new TY dual layers have been reported to be Panasonic. You have just confirmed the single layer is Ritek. My riteks have been fine but TY selling Ritek is just ridiculous, plus you can buy other media that might be ritek for cheaper.

Seems like the safest bet for BD-R is genuine Panasonic single layer discs! Trust me, TY are no good at BD-R, Panasonic are king.[/QUOTE]

Funny enough I just asked the seller (jp-buy) what the discs are branded That’s and advertised by Taiyo Yuden and are actually Ritek and made in Taiwan.

And I agree in not point in buying from Japan when I can get Ritek here dirt cheap.

I’m glad the Panasonic discs are well thought of.

Regards

Aboy.

[QUOTE=Albert;2734617]aboy, moved your post into this thread since it very much fits with the original topic of the thread. Hopefully you can find a way to figure out how to get the superior Panasonic-made media instead of the less-pleasing Ritek media. (TY/JVC don’t have a really good BD-R disc of its own, either).[/QUOTE]

I purchased 30 Taiyo Yuden (That’s brand) and they had the mid code as stated (MEI-T02-001).

Hoping these are the better version.

Regards

Aboy.

Good, good. As long as the sellers continue to tell the truth about origin or disc model, we should be good. :iagree:

I think as long as you ask where the discs are actually made (rather than where they were bought/sold), you might be okay…

The good stuff is getting more and more RARE. :-X

[QUOTE=aboy;2734777]I purchased 30 Taiyo Yuden (That’s brand) and they had the mid code as stated (MEI-T02-001).

Hoping these are the better version.

Regards

Aboy.[/QUOTE]

Yes but did you buy Dual Layer? I think the DL media is Panasonic (was TDK before) and the single layer seems to be Ritek…