Thailand floods to cut global HDD shipments, raise prices

vbimport

Thailand floods to cut global HDD shipments, raise prices.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/11/i0RyKz.jpg[/newsimage]Persistent flooding across Thailand will lead to the hard disk drive industry's worst performance in three years according to a new report from IHS iSuppli. Western Digital is expected to lose its vaunted market leader position due to the disaster, paving the way for competitor Seagate to nab the top spot.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/thailand-floods-to-cut-global-hdd-shipments-raise-prices-53970/](http://www.myce.com/news/thailand-floods-to-cut-global-hdd-shipments-raise-prices-53970/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

… and brick-n-mortar stores are now cheaper than online retailers :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2610080]… and brick-n-mortar stores are now cheaper than online retailers :slight_smile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Wait until after the new year… that’s when they can TRY to make higher prices stick… but there this is a plan that WILL backfire… becuase the world is expecting 3.5 & 4 Terabyte drives to materialize in the single 3.5" drive formfactor… and when it does not and 1-3tb drives see higher prices, you will see a slash in demand for them which will bring prices back down to earth-- besides, the computer component industry’s already pushed a 10% price hike into effect by NOT lowering prices all year on many components and raising the prices of motherboards, power supplies, cases, graphics cards, and peripherals such as printers (just TRY to find a printer at or below $50 anymore).

HDD prices have gone crazy here.

I bought a Samsung F4 2TB about 4 months ago for £63.
The same drive is now £149, and I will NOT pay that price for an HDD.

[QUOTE=Dee;2610089]HDD prices have gone crazy here.

I bought a Samsung F4 2TB about 4 months ago for £63.
The same drive is now £149, and I will NOT pay that price for an HDD.[/QUOTE]

Wow that is crazy, I hadn’t realised that! :eek:

They should come down again eventually though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yep, drive prices are skyrocketing in the states, too. I’ve been watching the prices of 2TB 7200rpm 3.5" drives, and most of them have gone up at least $50 USD, while some have doubled in price.

I was so hoping the WD Caviar Blacks would start getting cheaper, but that is out the window now.

I’ve not checked prices since the floods started, but here also is the article I read just last night: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15534614

Glad I bought a Seagate GoFlex 500GB external drive not so long ago.

@Dee - wow, that’s some hike :eek::eek:

Here is the actual invoice (pic1) dated 11 July 2011. It was actually a bit cheaper than £63

Pic2, the [B]current price[/B]

Yowch…and that’s internal as well, which is usually cheaper than external. Good job you bought it when you did! :slight_smile:

OT: RipJaws is an excellent name for RAM…well, for anything really! :bigsmile:

Woot!

Prices here (in Oz) seem to have increased by 10-25% from mobs which I recall, but one mob, which I’ve never used, seems to have increased by just short of a full 100% …

Time to sell my HDD :smiley:
it is around $7000 ( if I sell it Micro Center and New Egg price / 110% Brand New OEM and Retail Box )

Too bad I didn’t buy a bunch of drives a few months ago to sell on ebay now!

[QUOTE=Dee;2610107]Here is the actual invoice (pic1) dated 11 July 2011. It was actually a bit cheaper than £63

Pic2, the [B]current price[/B][/QUOTE]

£179.99 to US [B]$354.69[/B] U.S. Dollars :bigsmile:
I’m Samsung F4 2TB HDD fan :bigsmile:

Most B&M stores have not yet had the price hikes. Also note that external drives are currently 1/2 the price of bare drives, so you can buy one and rip the drive out. Supplies at online stores are dwindling fast.

I just got a 2TB Seagate USB-2 external for $90 at Office Max online. The USB-3 model is only $10 more, but I’m not planning to use the case.

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2610165]£179.99 to US [B]$354.69[/B] U.S. Dollars :bigsmile:
I’m Samsung F4 2TB HDD fan :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
I bought a Samsung 2TB for $80 a couple weeks ago, it’s $230 right now at the Egg.

I’ve been watching HDD prices (several times a week for more than a year.

HDD prices at Newegg have basically doubled since the flooding was first mentioned.

There are no more “sales” on HDDs.

However I fail to see why Samsung would be affected because last I checked their HDDs aren’t made in Thailand…

That is likely a case of price gouging.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2610167]
However I fail to see why Samsung would be affected because last I checked their HDDs aren’t made in Thailand…

That is likely a case of price gouging.

AD[/QUOTE]
Supply and demand. Shut off the flow of WD and Seagate and Samsung quickly runs out. Also true that component parts can come from Thailand even if the drives are not made there. Expect market adjustments to continue for some months. I’m sure they are all doing everything possible to ramp up production at other factories. If there’s any gouging going on, it’s the distributors and wholesalers, not the factories.

Lowerest price HDD this year
Samsung F4 2TB $59.99 Micro Center - [B]Now Newegg $229[/B] ( I buy 7 HDD once it was[B] $49.99[/B] or [B]$59.99 [/B]don’t remenber - Micro Center )
Samsung F3 1TB $39.99 Micro center ( I buy entire stock 14 HDD ) - [B]Now Newegg $139[/B]
HITACHI Deskstar 2TB 5400 RPM $49.99 to $59.99 $69.99 after $10 MIR almost every month from Micro Center ( Limited 2 ) - [B]Now Newegg $229[/B]
HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 5400 RPM $119 to $124.99 Micro Center - $109.99 Newegg - [B]Now Newegg $259[/B]
Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB 5,900 RPM HDD $59.99 Micro Center - [B]Now Newegg $229 [/B]
Hitachi Deskstar 1.5TB 5400 RPM HDD $39.99 to $49.99 after $10 MIR almost every month from Micro Center ( Limited 2 ) - [B]$ ???[/B]
WD Caviar Black 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA 2 $99.99 Micro Center ( Just one day ) [B]Now Newegg $239[/B]

So now that price per capacity for HDD’s has increase 3-5 fold, those SSD’s don’t look quite as expensive, right?

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2610084]Wait until after the new year… that’s when they can TRY to make higher prices stick… but there this is a plan that WILL backfire… becuase the world is expecting 3.5 & 4 Terabyte drives to materialize in the single 3.5" drive formfactor… and when it does not and 1-3tb drives see higher prices, you will see a slash in demand for them which will bring prices back down to earth-- besides, the computer component industry’s already pushed a 10% price hike into effect by NOT lowering prices all year on many components and raising the prices of motherboards, power supplies, cases, graphics cards, and peripherals such as printers (just TRY to find a printer at or below $50 anymore).[/QUOTE]

When a printer is $50, it is often cheaper to buy a new printer than pay the cost of all the replacement ink carts.

I’m glad I’ve got enough hard drive space to keep me going for a while yet.
This is the first time I’ve seen such huge increases in hdd prices. It has happened a few times before with RAM prices which skyrocketed after events in Taiwan.