Texting Teen Falls Down Open NYC Manhole Files Lawsuit

786599216_9a3f9bda0bIt’s hard to decide who are the biggest morons in this story: parents or daughter. 15 year-old Alexa Longueira was walking along Victory Boulevard in Staten Island when she fell into an open manhole.

Now that’s funny and I hope she loses for not paying attention.

Blame everybody else instead of yourself. That’s symptomatic of people today. :doh:

Unfortunately there is precedence for stupidity trumping common sense in the US legal system.

My favorite example

She probably texted, “I’m falling and I can’t stop”. Then “Thump”.

You ever have that dream were you are falling & falling & falling? They will probably settle.

Well the manhole for one shouldn’t of been uncovered before they had the barriers ready to be place. She’s at fault too for just being stupid as I remember beiginning at 5 years old my mom constantly told me to watch where I am going you just never know. Then there is the what if the barriers where there? Would she have fallin still? I think so as she clearly wasn’t paying attention. Moral is…

DEP should get a fine for what they did and the girl should lose her cell phone for a few months, maybe then they both will follow procedures in the future.

What about someone with poor eye sight or blind, it was and is the responsibility of the workers to ensure safety on the public highway in these circumstances.
Should the girl have been more alert to her surroundings, most assuredly yes but this was an accident waiting to happen.
My sympathy’s are with her here.

And if it was a crowded pavement … and you’re short … or tall … or you’re in a hurry and you see a gap in the crowd … WoohoooooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooo!

I agree … this one is a fault of the workers for not following safety procedures.

I wouldn’t care whether she was juggling a dozen flaming iphone 3GS’s, while whistling yankee doodle, while riding around on a unicycle after dropping a tab of acid, smoking a joint, and downing a dozen bottles of tequila …

The hole shouldn’t have been there unattended, without barriers - there’s laws about this, it’s dangerous.

Depends how high the barrier was, she could have hit it at waist level and flopped in head first.

The point is no matter what happen the DEP isn’t solely at fault. We are suppose to pay attention. Will this teen next year and her parents sue the DOT (department of transportation) for not putting a barrier up on the highway between the east and west bound or north and south bound lanes?

I think next time the green light changes to red I’ll sue for not making it last longer :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d still suggest the DEP is mostly at fault, because without the DEP’s action, the default situation would be safe.
It differs from a highway, because by default that is dangerous & it’d be expected the person must be attentive.

In any case, besides Zat’s hilarious scenario, this girl is going to be a laughing stock … now you see her, now you don’t :wink:

[German_beer_lover_goes_down_the_drain&in_article_id=702615&in_page_id=2"]hahahahahahahaha :doh::p](http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?)

I’d say his beer belly has saved him from certain splash …

That’s an incentive to drink more beer!

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2307684]The point is no matter what happen the DEP isn’t solely at fault. We are suppose to pay attention. Will this teen next year and her parents sue the DOT (department of transportation) for not putting a barrier up on the highway between the east and west bound or north and south bound lanes?

I think next time the green light changes to red I’ll sue for not making it last longer :p[/QUOTE]
she fell down a hole that shouldn’t have been there and if it is there it should be appropriately barricaded so idiots can’t accidentally fall down it

And if the barrier was there and she still fell? She can still sue for not paying attention? No and this story is a no as well to a certain point. She should get some compensation but not 1000’s or more. Barrier there or not people need to quit mulitasking. If she went out to the road while texting and got hit can she sue?

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2307730]And if the barrier was there and she still fell? [/QUOTE]Then she has nothing to sue for of course.

you’re kidding right? You saying you pay attention 24/7, not a chance.

And I thought we lived in the free world, Sure if you’re driving yeah it’s not right you shouldn’t do it but walking down the street come on you can’t be serious. When I and I expect you walk down the street you don’t expect gaping holes in the footpath.

Can here in oz pedestrians have the right of way hitting one is your fault.

Good thing there wasn’t a grate with wider slots, she really could have “strained” herself.:iagree:

I just saw her on TV and her mom look more pissed off than the daughter. The workers supposedly stated"We left the cover off so we could go get cones". Something in that statement is backwards.

If it had been me who fell down that uncovered hole. I’d be to embarrassed to tell anyone i had been so stupid, and not paying attention.
That said. The hole should have been protected, so i guess it’s fair that she gets some compensation.

Dee, if you’d fallen down that hole their would be a world uproar. That’s something that just could not be tolerated!

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2307243]
Now that’s funny and I hope she loses for not paying attention.[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree :iagree:

But at the same time, it’s as Dee said. It should have had a cover on or protection of some kind. As what if a toddler or whatever had fallen down it?

I also agree that if it’d been me, I’d be right embarrassed and would probably keep it to myself. :wink:

Some of the posts in here made me burst out giggling with the mental imagery. Nice one guys :bigsmile: