Texting and Driving

vbimport

Just read this thread by samlar in the News forum, and thought it’d make an interesting discussion. :slight_smile:

Do you regularly text while driving? Even if you don’t, what are your opinions on it - should it be outlawed, or is it already an offence in your state/country?

Everyone who is texting or calling while driving is crazy.

Texting should be banned period. Seriously, can’t stand it at all.

I’ll second that!!!

:eek: Life without texting. :sad: i could never cope.

But texting while driving is a no, no.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2132469]:eek: Life without texting. :sad: i could never cope.
[/QUOTE]

I can just hear my mum saying the same thing :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2132472]I can just hear my mum saying the same thing :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]hehe :wink:
My mum doesn’t text, but his mum does and likes receiving texts too. :bigsmile: :wink:

Texting and driving should be banned the world over and talking on the cell phone
while driving should be banned the world over also. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2132475]hehe :wink:
My mum doesn’t text, but his mum does and likes receiving texts too. :bigsmile: ;)[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha :wink: :bigsmile:

I text now and again, but mainly use my mobile for incoming things like…my mum texting me to get my bum out of bed 'cos she’s on her way over :bigsmile:

I still have £10 talk/text time on my mobile from…wait for it…Christmas, that’s how often I text or call :o

I do know never to text/call my mum if I know she’s driving somewhere, though :wink:

If you are driving, drive, period. When you see two people walking down the street right next to each other, texting each other, there is something wrong.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2132469]:eek: Life without texting. :sad: i could never cope.

But texting while driving is a no, no.[/QUOTE]

I agree, texting while driving is bad, unless you have a talent for it! but life without texting :eek: I couldn’t get over it! :frowning: That’s pretty much all I do!

[quote=getit29;2132479]Texting and driving should be banned the world over and talking on the cell phone
while driving should be banned the world over also. :iagree:[/quote]

:iagree:
I dont even answer my phone when driving ( normally my Son giving me a Miss call ) lets it ring forever ,if I answer he turnes his Phone off imidiately so I have to phone him back :bigsmile:
Hate Texting
Use my Cell more for banking and Paying Accounts :cool:

Yeah, I agree with you guys on this one. Only a real Jackass would text and drive. Period. In fact wasn’t the engineer in a recent fatal train crash in California alledgedly texting while driving a locomotive???

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2132571]In fact wasn’t the engineer in a recent fatal train crash in California alledgedly texting while driving a locomotive???[/QUOTE]

You gotta be kidding me :doh: :eek:

There is no cure for driving while stupid … but that doesn’t mean it should be legal. :smiley:

It’s a traffic offense to drive while using a mobile phone here in Denmark (unless it’s hands free) - whether for talking or for texting. In principle this applies even when riding on bicycles.

You will get a fine of 500 - 800 DKK (£55-£72 , €66-€110 , $95-$155) if caught. Approximately 52 are caught per day, but this is both people talking and people texting - the law doesn’t distinguish between the various uses of the mobile phone while driving.

You cannot yet lose your drivers’ license for this offense, but many Danes think this should be added to the list of offenses that cost “points” on your drivers’ license (when all points are used, you lose the license).

What could be so important that you can’t pull to the side of the road park and take the message?

IMO even hands free is unsafe as the user may need to look at the display to dial.

Texting while driving is as unsafe as having a TV or GPS display on the front dash, at high speeds it takes only a split second of inattention for the car to end up off the road.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;2132684]What could be so important that you can’t pull to the side of the road park and take the message?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;2132684]

IMO even hands free is unsafe as the user may need to look at the display to dial.

Texting while driving is as unsafe as having a TV or GPS display on the front dash, at high speeds it takes only a split second of inattention for the car to end up off the road.[/QUOTE]

I’m with you on the texting, but handsfree with voicedial is great. Seriously.:iagree:

My GPS is used mainly as a backup speedometer, I’d rather glance a little to the right than down.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2132675]You gotta be kidding me :doh: :eek:[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately he’s not.:frowning:

The penalty here in the UK for using a mobile phone when driving (which includes stopped at traffic lights or in a traffic jam) is £60 fine and 3 penalty points on your driving licence (12 points = a driving ban).