Texas outlaw

vbimport

Has anyone out there encoded using the Canopus Procoder Express. My understanding is that we can use the Windows Movie Maker downloading either a Beta or VHS tape through the ADVC-100. The export will be as an AVI file. This is then encoded using the Procoder Express. I have been led to believe the burn can be done using several different methods. I would prefer Nero 6. I am open to suggestions. I don’t mind purchasing the Procoder Express program, but before I do I would like to get a different point of view. I am primarily interested in clarity.

I use ProCoder Express all the time for converting AVIs. It has a fantatsic engine which I beleive is the same as its big brother, and has had no trouble encoding anything I’ve thrown at it (including frame rate changes). It will also output DVD folders ready for burning, or MPEG 2 files for re-authoring. Not sure if you can get a trial version to test?

It sounds if you are much more advanced than I. Finally received the Procoder software. Put it to work and the results looked great. However, when I attempted to burn a DVD with Nero 6.6 I got this screen. The file “VTS_01_1. VOB” is larger that 2GB and therefore cannot be stored in ISO file syytem. Please use the UDF file system to write such a large file. This can be done by selecting another compilation type. I slowly went through the entire Nero programs and could not find the so-called UDF file system. I must be missing a step somewhere in my work with either Procoder or Nero? Have you come across this in your procedure?

In the compilation window, where you would select DVD Video, scroll down, and select DVD UDF

In Nero 6.6 there is no DVD UDF available. They did make quite a change with 6.6, however, I have searched for some way to burn the DVD. Procoder Express did a nice job in shrinking the original capture from approximately 22MB AVI to 2.2MB with little or no loss in clarity.

I use Nero Express for DVD folders - just select DVD-Video files on the first screen!

I agree with you, however, if the file is more than 2MB in length it will refuse with the notation as shown in my first message. I believe to circumvent this, NeroVision must be used. I am awaiting an answer from Nero since I do own a copy of their product. I will let you know the answer when they reply. The other problem is I do have a registered copy of DivX, but can’t get it to work with VirtualDub. Procoder works, but I certainly can get smaller files with Dazzle USB and Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2, but the clarity is unacceptable. I am looking for something similar to a purchased DVD movie disc. With Dazzle and Ulead I can get 3 plus hours on a single DVD without a strain. The total work time is approximately 6-1/2 hours. The loss of clarity is directly related to Ulead not the Dazzle USB. Presently I have been using WinDV with Canopus ADVC-100 to download an AVI file. Trying recode or decode to MPEG2 is the main problem so that I can burn a DVD using Nero? I thank you for you interest and concern…

Canopus Procoder is one of the best encoders there is. It outputs (probably) the best quality mpeg, with the least amount of user input.
The quality of the original cannot be improved, it can only be maintained.
First, I would not use Windows movie maker for anything related to DVD construction. Nor would I use Nerovision for anything related to a quality output.
I use Virtualdub or Mainconcept mpeg encoder to capture video. Virtualdub allows saving as avi, using any compression codec you have on your system (DivX, etc).
Mainconcept captures directly to mpeg-2 (thus maintaining quality at max).
If you’re going to capture in virtualdub, I suggest you learn how to frameserve to Canopus, again, this will maintain the max quality you can expect.
Author in DVDLab or DLP.
There are probably 1000 other things that you should know about capture/encode/author to help with quality, but this is a start.

As I commented before, you have a greater knowledge than I regarding the aspects of the procedures needed. I have no problems working the DVD end. All my DVD’s are backed up. What I would like to do is to get my tapes and years of photography onto DVD’s. Here’s what I have learned so far. I use WinDV with Canopus ADVC-100 to download my tapes (Beta or VHS) in AVI format to the HD. Canopus Procoder Express to convert the source file… now I begin to run into problems. This takes approximately 2-1/2 hours plus film runtime. It’s either my DivX Pro is not working or those folks have given me some bad information regarding the activation code. I have an email to them awaiting an answer to several questions. I am going to hold off going to VitualDub. According to the DivX folks we should get to the end product using DivX Pro? Maybe? Let me ask you a pointed question. How do you author using DVDLab? Thank you.

Greetings to texas,from texas.
Sounds like when procoder is outputting your video it’s not giving you the required vts file size or amount.Generally,(depending on your file size),dvd compliant vids are around 1.06gb(2gb is tooo big) for each vts.You probably know this due to the fact you have back’t up vids before and using nero you can see that when you enter the files for burning,there are about 5 vts files and not one is over 1.06gb.Maybe check procoder for some settings on file splitting or something of that nature.If not,run it through Recode or dvd shrink and that should split up the files in equal amounts.If the file is under 4465 mb,it shouldn’t hurt the quality.
I do agree with the procoder bandwagon,it’s fabulous.It’s encoding engine is the best.Not a better transcoder out there.
(I hope I don’t sound like a moron here)

Canopus does not put out vob’s. It outputs dvd compliant mpegs, which can then be authored into .vob’s for burning.
The above advice about splitting etc., does not apply.
Use a bitrate calculator to encode your files to fit on one dvdr.
I have no idea what you’re on about DivX Pro. It has nothing to do with encoding to mpeg in Canopus. Canopus doesn’t care if it’s DivX, Xvid, or any other type of .avi, as long as you have the codec on your system.
In order to preserve as much quality as possible, you should NOT be saving an avi on your hard drive. Either capture directly to mpeg-2 in a dvd compliant aspect, or capture into an encoder that WILL output compliant mpegs.
I suggested virtualdub, because it will capture, it will edit/filter, and it will frameserve to Canopus, with no intermediate loss of quality, however, your ADVC-100 should work in conjunction with Canopus Procoder to produce the required mpeg-2 streams.
Load the mpegs into DVDLab, author, and burn.
Guides on this are in my sig below.

I have no problems with DVD’s. What I am trying to accomplish is to put my rather large VHS, Beta and photography tapes onto DVD’s. I can do it, but not with the clarity or sharpness that I want or desire. This is the reason I have gone over to the Canopus and associated software. It’s trying to get everything working as it appears others have done. I do thank you for your interest and reassuring help.

Reboot… You are correct about splitting. The same goes for renaming. Tried this last night with a Beta. It was spin, crash and burn. Plan to start from plan A… again. Will load vitualdub and frameserve to Canopus. Getting it to work in conjuction with ADVC-100 will be the main problem. I don’t recall any menu in Procoder that approaches this event. Here goes…

maybe because it’s the express version app and not the full?It’s worked for me.

OK, newer/different version than mine :smiley:
I would NOT output a vob. I would choose mpeg2-dvd - NTSC (the top one).
To frameserve, install the handler in virtualdub (look in the vdub install folder, and double click on AuxSetup.exe, let it install.
Start vdub, import your video, click File, Start frameserver.
Vdub will prompt you to save a .vdr file.
Start Canopus, and use that .vdr as your input.
If that fails, there is another way around it. Start the frameserver, and save the output as .avi (just change the extention), click OK.
Use that .avi as the source (input) for Canopus.
Author the resulting mpeg in something like DVDLab.
Of course, this is all pointless if the ADVC-100 has output an .mpg
If the output is an mpg, just author it. No need to re-encode using vdub or Canopus, or divx, or anything else.

I agree.I rarely use this option but it does OK.

Reboot… Let’s start from number 1. I load WinDV as it seems to do what was intended. And apparently does not drop frames. Then the ADVC-100 to download the tape in the AVI format. The next step appears to be where I am going downstream without a paddle. I can’t seem to find a guide on how to setup VirtualDub. If one goes to VirtualDub, he or they no longer puts out information of how to utilize their software. I assume the version is 1. I did install the frameserver. When I load the video file VDub states it requires a Video for Windows compatible codec to decompress files. But doesn’t specify which except not DirectShow codecs? We can’t start the framesrver without a compatible codec. The ADVC-100 output is AVI.

Nosmartz… Where about in Texas?

Sunny Dallas/Ft Worth.
Maybe the Express version doesn’t have all the other options but I’ve included a pic of the “add” function in Canopus.Notice where it has the AVI option.Do you have this?

An avi is just a container. It can hold audio and video under any number of compression schemes (codecs).
Video for Windows is just one of many, and you don’t have it.
Try the codec pack from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/codecdownload.aspx
Once you have the right codec installed, virtualdub does work.
There are hundreds of guides on the internet for using vdub. Look in the guides section at http://www.videohelp.com
Canopus may, or may not recognize the avi. Depending on how it uses codecs, even if you choose “All Files”.