TEVION CD-R 80 52x(max.) as sold by Hofer/Aldi - media type changed

vbimport

I’ve used the TEVION CD-R 80 52x(max.) for many years with very good results. Recently things have changed: They are crap. The reason is, they have changed media type.

You will find TEVIONs in the Hofer/Aldi supermarkets. They are sold in a blue box at 10 pieces. The box looks - almost - the same it ever had, but since some time in 2007, at least with February 2008, they are selling different media in it.

You can tell the difference by some tiny print on the lowest line on the box front. Below the big letters “CD-R80” they read “High Quality Pure Silver” (bad), wheras the (old) good ones read “High Quality Silver Silver”.

Recent Media …
Sold as TEVION CD-R 80 52x(max.) High Quality Pure Silver
Read from disc: CMC Magnetics Co. (type 6) 79:59.71
Start time of lead-in: 97m26s66f

Burned with LG GSA-H44N @ 16x, 4-Feb-2008
Tested with Plextor PX-760A / Plextools 2.33
C1-Errors: average 10.0 per sec, maximum 75 per sec
C2-Errors: average 0.1 per sec, maximum 79 per sec
CU-Errors: none

The C1s would be nothing to worry about, if there were not the C2s scattered all over the disc.

I had one good burn @ 4x (no C2s), but could not reproduce this with a Plexwriter Premium2.

Former Media …
Sold as TEVION CD-R 80 52x(max.) High Quality Silver Silver
Read from disc: Hitachi Maxell (. (type 9) 79:59.74
Start time of lead-in: 97m25s29f

Burned with Plexwriter Premium @ 16x, 22-Mar-2004
Tested with Plexwriter Premium2 / Plextools 2.33, 19-Feb-2008
C1-Errors: average 2.2 per sec, maximum 37 per sec
C2-Errors: none

The one above is a disc in use that is not full (just up to 53 minutes). The average C1-error is unchanged compared to a typical fresh burn. Seems to me, there are some higher spikes here and there, but they are too rare to contribute to the average. [Should say here, I’m a bit over-sensitive. The aging effects are next to nothing, actually.] Very good quality after 4 years.
A fresh burn typically has an almost constant C1-error rate over the entire disc. The C1-spikes are a bit lower. Here is a test from my files with a (different) full disc:
Burned with Plextor PX-760A @ 16x, 30-Apr-2007
Tested with Plextor PX-760A / Plextools 2.33, 30-Apr-2007
C1-Errors: average 2.3 per sec, maximum 23 per sec
C2-Errors: none

Testing speed is always 8x.

@moderators: The purpose of my post is to inform others that TEVION have changed media type, which is not recognised easily before you buy them. This isn’t really a media test that may conform to your standards. Feel free to move this to the proper forum if this is misplaced here.

[quote=bob_hope;2003933]@moderators: The purpose of my post is to inform others that TEVION have changed media type, which is not recognised easily before you buy them. This isn’t really a media test that may conform to your standards. Feel free to move this to the proper forum if this is misplaced here.[/quote] The thread is just fine here in the Blank Media forum. :iagree:

Tevion sells everything they can get.

Just like Memorex and Platinum, you never know whats inside before you open it.

The last time I picked up a 50 cakebox from Aldi, they were Riteks.

I would burn the CMC @ 16x as a minimum. See what happens then. 8x may be too slow.

…you never know whats inside before you open it.
I bought them for many years and liked them. Very good media and cheap.
Generally my experience is: “Same package size and same look and same description” = “same media”. They did change the description, in fact, but I didn’t notice the fine print. Gave me big headache until I found out.

I would burn the CMC @ 16x as a minimum. See what happens then. 8x may be too slow.
8x referred to [B]scanning[/B] speed. I have burned them at 32x, 16x, 8x and 4x. The errors decreased with decreasing burning speed. The C2s vanished at 4x with my LG GSA-H44N.
With the Plextor Premium2 it seems to be the other way round: Higher speed, less errors. I’ve stopped testing, actually. Just a waste of time.