Tests results: Windows 8 faster than Windows 7, but really?

vbimport

I just posted the article Tests results: Windows 8 faster than Windows 7, but really?.

While Microsoft is spending half a billion to promote Windows 8, others have tried to find reasons on why to start using Microsoft’s latest operating system. Michael Muchmore from PCPro has tested Windows 8 against Windows 7 on speed and Windows 8 beats Windows 7 in all his tests. But is it really faster?

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/tests-results-windows-8-faster-than-windows-7-but-really-62335/](http://www.myce.com/news/tests-results-windows-8-faster-than-windows-7-but-really-62335/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Very interesting articles, Only time will tell

Yes, really. My desktop computer at home (AMD quad core, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD with three equal partitions) is dual bootable (Windows 7 and Windows 8 RP). Booting into Windows 8 is considerably faster than booting into Windows 7. Once booted, however, I don’t see any difference.

Windows 8 does have better support for the latest hardware.

Example: Native support for SATA3
Native support for USB3 including UASP over USB3 to support NCQ
Native Thunderbolt support
More advanced TRIM support for SSDs.

Windows 8 and it’s Metro GUI, might be a technology shift
There’s no “f” in that word! :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, without Metro, Win8 is rather nice.
Thanks to power8

[QUOTE=Dee;2642442]Actually, without Metro, Win8 is rather nice.
Thanks to power8[/QUOTE]

Especially when you can have 512GB SSD plus 64GB (8GB * 8) DDR 3 RAM for under US$1,000. Though it ran fine even with 60GB SSD and 4GB RAM. One troubling thing’s that I bought a retail copy of Windows 7 Ultimate less than one year ago for nearly US$300 and Microsoft is promoting Windows 8 so heavily that they offer a nearly free upgrade to Windows 8 for every NEW Windows 7 buyer. I’m not eligible.

would be of my intress to know if you can use the upgrade version from 7 to 8.
Without the hassel from windows VISTA to windows 7 where i was sugessted to format my windows VISTA installation and do a clean install of winddows 7.

I’ve found windows 8 to be quicker than windows 7 on the same hardware.

Without the metro interface, I’d almost suggest that windows 8 is much better than windows 7.

As Dee mentioned, you can use 3rd party (free) software to add a start bar. Its just that you shouldn’t have to.

Apart from the FUBAR metro interface, it’s a great improvement. But … it’s got metro.

FFS.

Productivity speed… I turn on our Compaq SLT/256, get WordPerf 5.1 running, type my letter and dump it to our Deskjet 500 in 1min 24sec when the page is in my hand. And 40 seconds of that is print-time, but it’s a long letter…

I still love XTreeGold… tag things all over the place, Moves, Zips, so easy.

I guess the main Question is Better for What?

If you are into Facebook,Twitter or extreme browsing then maybe it will be better for you.
I found nothing there that helped my work or home environment [U]personally[/U], so I am one of those it does not really help.

I haven’t seen Win 8 yet, but it’s going to need to be pretty awesome for me to drop Win 7. It took me forever to leave XP Pro (Vista was just a chrome-plated turd IMHO) and I just don’t like to pack up and leave just because something new is the flavour of the month. I might just use Win 8 if I get a tablet, but that’s about it.

[QUOTE=debro;2642576]I’ve found windows 8 to be quicker than windows 7 on the same hardware.

Without the metro interface, I’d almost suggest that windows 8 is much better than windows 7.

As Dee mentioned, you can use 3rd party (free) software to add a start bar. Its just that you shouldn’t have to.

Apart from the FUBAR metro interface, it’s a great improvement. But … it’s got metro.

FFS.[/QUOTE]I’ll keep saying this 'till the moon turns blue. So don’t use Metro. Just go directly to the Desktop view after booting into Windows 8, put icons and/or folders for everything you do on the desktop, and go. I do this with Windows 7 and never use the start menu anyway. It’s actually quicker and easier than the start menu because everything is right there in plain view.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2642879]I’ll keep saying this 'till the moon turns blue. So don’t use Metro. Just go directly to the Desktop view after booting into Windows 8, put icons and/or folders for everything you do on the desktop, and go. I do this with Windows 7 and never use the start menu anyway. It’s actually quicker and easier than the start menu because everything is right there in plain view.[/QUOTE]

That was how things were organized with Windows 3.1 and some preceding versions. I always liked to see all the links with respective names for programs and files on the hardware at once and every time.

Kenshin, yes, and just about every computer user has “their own computer” that they get used to, and they want to tailor it to move their favorite ‘objects’ in their own location.

I think my own Start Button usage is still 99% based on Tap-The-WinKey-Then-Shutdown usage!

But when I stroll thru someone else’s computer, the Start Button is MY ONLY CHOICE. I can’t wait to read more lies about “Win8’s admin & management is sooo much cheaper…” Yeah. Right.