Testing one type of SATA to IDE bilateral adapter

vbimport

After finding that the SIL 680A type of PCI cards where speedcapped to 26 MB/s maximum on my ABIT motherboard, I decided to try one of the many types of SATA to IDE bilateral adapters found on E-bay.

There are many variants, and it is impossible to know who copied who, and if they really work.
Some are nothing but non-working pices of badly assembled parts, but I found one type, that works for me.

Please note, there are many look-alikes and copies of this one too :rolleyes:

Test 1, on a old 10 G HD - With SIL 680A adapter:

Bit strange result, speedcapped burstrate 26 MB/s.

With SATA bilateral adapter:

Good result on this old drive, burstrate now 62 MB/s.

Test 2, on a LG GSA H55N - with SIL 680A adapter:

Burstrate 19 MB/s.

With SATA bilateral adapter:

Burstrate now 36 MB/s

Conclusion is simple, why pay €25 for an ancient and slow SIL 680A PCI card (got ony 2 PCI slots anyway), when you can buy an SATA adapter to your IDE optical drives at 5€, shipping included.

First off if money no objection one would and should decide to got and switch their drives to Sata connections. Speed and access is important in HDD nowdays and with drives coming to Sata it’s more feasible to just go Sata. I for one have switched all my HDD to Sata now and since my motherboard has 6 Sata the benefits were more beneficial to me in the long run. IMO I too looked at getting IDE to Sata adapter but found some range from US$ 10-40 and that to me decide for me the small price for Sata HDD were more worth in the long run not to mention the HDD warranty as well. But as before it’s my opinion…

BUT, on another side of the many-sided coin, this is a nice option if you are a 'Freak (or not) and want to use a PATA drive of some sort (like me), or you have to recover data from a dead computer’s still-working hard drive, etc. Thanks for the test. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2483763]BUT, on another side of the many-sided coin, this is a nice option if you are a 'Freak (or not) and want to use a PATA drive of some sort (like me), or you have to recover data from a dead computer’s still-working hard drive, etc. Thanks for the test. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is true if the drive still works then by all means go for it but since motherboards nowdays are loosing IDE connectors it makes it hard to keep older IDE HDD if you switch motherboards unless you use the adapter or addin IDE cards to keep using your IDE HDD. Saving data before loosing is the biggest reason I had to go Sata cause one IDE was showing signs of failure and the other well it was still working but going 500G was cheaper and game more room to work with even if my old IDE 250G was working. Also the transfer speed was like day and night as well, so speed and access was one factor that made me decide to go sata since my motherboard had 6 sata of which now there only 2 free sata left. And I do have a sata addin card so I could in theory have 4 addon +2 mobo sata to still use. But if one still needs their IDE and still work then there nothing wrong there. But I would recommend not currently buying IDE drives as in the US they seemed to be more expensive then Sata drives now probably cause they are no longer being made which is why the price is higher cause of limited quantities left.

I think the point of his post was to show that you could use your old IDE ODD’s in your new PC (IDE limited).

I’ve run the Syba IDE to SATA adapter on my drives back when SATA boards first came out and all I had were IDE drives that I wasn’t about to junk.
It worked well as long as you made sure it was plugged in tight and didn’t work loose.
I had 4 of them in service at one point, they even worked well for my 111 burner.
I have mostly retired all the IDE hard drives now and keep them around just in case. It was fun trying to get enough splitters and making adapters so that I could power all of them as they also needed a 3.5 power plug that I didn’t have enough of plus the regular 51/4.
The drives seemed to be just as fast or even slightly faster with those things.