Testing old and new media: Useful?

Hi… n00b question here:

In my efforts to learn all about good/bad media, I have found that the topic of how long your data will last on a disc after you burn it seems to be an important aspect of quality. If this is true, would running media tests on discs burned in the past also be useful so that it can be compared with one that was just made? I thought maybe you could see bigger increases in the error counts when you compare old & new burns of the crappier brands, etc…

Kprobe will print your scan graph for you, you can tuck that in with your disc and use it to compare when you go back to check it next year or whenever. I keep some discs in storage just for the purpose of testing over time.

Thanks for replying.

Have you found anything interesting from your over-time tests, and if so are they posted anywhere? I’d be very curious.

Unfortunately I don’t have the capability to do the tests myself so I’ve been looking at others’ posts. I couldn’t find any over-time tests, but I may have missed them (there were a lot of material to go through!).

Also, would duplicating an old disc to a new one and comparing the scans of the two be a quick 'n dirty “next best thing” alternative to waiting a long time?

I’ve yet to see any degradation on CDR/RW or DVDR/RW over the space of a year or so.

That’s surprising to hear… what manufacturers did you test? Did it include any of the crappy ones for comparison?

Originally posted by Okane786

Did it include any of the crappy ones for comparison?
Crappy ? What crappy ?

Here’s approx. 3 y.o. media - Traxdata 8x :

Disc Type = CDR (B-)
Lead In = 97:26:00
Lead Out = 74:56:00
Nominal = 658.30MB (74m 56s 00f/LBA:337050)
Manufacturer = Fornet International Pte. Ltd.
Cur. Speed = Wrt(16X),Rd(52X)

the current scan :

Thanks for the post!

I looked at Fornet on the media tests forum and aside from one test, the rest looked like very good results for this brand in general.

What I was interested in now are some tests on old burns on brands like Optodisc, CMC, Princo, Prodisc, etc and compare them with ones which were just made to see if there are any increases in the error count.

I have co-workers who are brushing off my concerns about our department using cheapo brands to archive valuable data. They won’t budge from believing that as long as the burn verification comes out OK, then the disc will always be fine and they have nothing to worry about.

I’m trying to figure out whether they are right or not by looking for data which either proves or contradicts this belief.