Testing media: Real world value?

A quick question:

Let’s say I use brand X of media. I haven’t done Kprobe or any other tests of the integrity of burned data, but I do have my burning apps verify the burned files after the burning itself takes place.

Is there any reason why this sort of “real-world” testing wouldn’t be as meaningful as all this PI/PO stuff?

Thanks for any insights,
Dave

Data verification is only part of the picture. A failed verification does not mean there’s any problem with the disc, or the data. Due to the way that many programs perform the verify, any number of hardware glitches can cause a failure.
Likewise, a successful verification does not mean the disc is “good”. It can still have loads of problems that can result in a failure down the road, (with loss of data), failure in certain reading drives and not others, difficult or slow reading.
Scanning for read errors is a completely different process, and measures some sort of burn quality and read-ability virtues of the disc (in the testing drive).
Generally, a successful verify along with a perfect read-speed test will assure you of a reasonably good disc. But, if an error scan can give you a more detailed picture of the over-all quality of the disc, why not use that information to your advantage?

>why not use that information to your advantage?

I just hate to waste media on theoretical tests if it’s possible to establish similar proof-of-concept while getting some bang for my buck.

I think your answer, though, is pretty sensible. I guess every case has its costs and benefits.

Thanks for the reply!

d

Don’t know why you would be wasting any media just by testing it. I scan every single disc I burn.

Sorry. I was under the (dumb!) impression that people were burning discs just for testing purposes.

Yes, I know this sounds dumb. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by zunsuke
[B]Sorry. I was under the (dumb!) impression that people were burning discs just for testing purposes.

Yes, I know this sounds dumb. :slight_smile: [/B]

Only people like me do anything that dumb. :iagree: Sometimes I burn one just for fun too. :wink:

testing is good also for the purpose of finding if the disc had been burned crap. its easier to do a 10-15 min test and see if its good than to play the stupid movie or game for that matter until it stops whiuch could happen at any time.

In contrary, i don’t scan every single burn. I do:

[ul]
[li]Scan all my important DATA backup. I usually kprobe, because it’s faster. And admit this, the graph is just much cooler than scandisk.
[/li][li]Scan when there is change in parameters. Like switch to a new brand media, new spindle (different batch can act differently) new firmware, new drive.
[/li][li]Partial scan on all my Princo. They are just plain stink unreliable.
[/li][/ul]

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Only people like me do anything that dumb. :iagree: Sometimes I burn one just for fun too. :wink:

I’m in the same boat. I’ve even gone as far a scratching a CD before burning just to see how it will burn. Or seeing how well your burn proof works by running tons of apps while you burn. Call me a burning dork, but I find these kinds of things interesting. The more you know, the less likely you are to make mistakes.