Testing a new DVD Writer

vbimport

Hey everybody in CDFreak’s! My humblest appologies for asking such noob questions but i’ve been getting 404 errors trying to use search… =(

I’ve just bought a Samsung DVD Burner SH-S182M/BEBN from Newegg for $30 with Free shipping! :bigsmile:

Installation for it was a cinch but now im trying to find out how to test its performance because some of the newegg reviews said they received defective models.

Also the one I bought is an OEM model and I couldn’t find a firmware update for the model on the Samsung site but because of my curiosity is their really no firmware update for it?

Roses for anyone that can answer my question :flower:

Firmware here. It is an unofficial version released to the site for testing purposes due to a lead-in problem with -R discs found in the official releases. More than likely that was the “defect” most users had.

There are 2 ways to test. Use the transfer rate test in Nero CD/DVD Speed, and the disc quality test in the the same program. The results will vary greatly depending on the blank media you are using. Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are recommended as their quality is more consistent than most other manufacturers.

A nice smooth upward curve will indicate a perfectly readable disc in the TRT test. The max PIE and PIF are the main factors in the disc quality, along with there not being consistent blocks of PIF.

And no Roses for me, you can pay for my next round of golf instead. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t install the CDF Edition firmware until you know you definitely have the -R lead-in problem :slight_smile:

I, for example, don’t have it - -Rs burn perfectly with the latest official firmware, so I updated to the official SB04 firmware. :slight_smile:

BTW, welcome to CDF :flower:

BTW, you can find a link for the latest official SB04 firmware in this post.

Burning a couple of -Rs and trying to read them on different drives would be a good way to see if you have the lead-in problem or not…

Thanks Arachne and jhtalisman for your advice I really appreciate it. I’d like to test my drive right away if it has the DVD-R’s lead-in problems but I don’t really have any good quality dvd-r’s to test it on. I’ve bought some TDK DVD-R’s from Compusa a week ago just about the same time I bought this drive to test it on but from this site and DVD identifier it seems i’ve been decieved by the name brand and bought 4th class media made by CMC Magnetics - CMCMAGMA3 which im planning to return to Compusa tommorow hopefully… wish me luck! lol

And no Roses for me, you can pay for my next round of golf instead.

haha I don’t think i’ll be able to pay for you but i’ll be rooting for you! :slight_smile:

Also after a bit of research in which DVD-R to get most people say that Verbatim is a reliable brand but I’ve read that mostly all Verbatim in the US are made by CMC Magnetics. Am i missing something? :confused:

CMC MAG. AM3 is not 4th class media - don’t believe everything you read on teh intarweb. :wink:

I’m quite happy with my HP branded CMC MAG. AM3 media. I burn at 8x like I do for almost all media, and I get results that are very good. If you understand scans, you can check out my scans here (8 discs) and here (1 disc).

I wouldn’t return those discs if they were mine.

Also after a bit of research in which DVD-R to get most people say that Verbatim is a reliable brand but I’ve read that mostly all Verbatim in the US are made by CMC Magnetics. Am i missing something? :confused:
Almost all blank media production is outsourced these days.

Mitsubishi/Verbatim outsource most of their blank media production to CMC Magnetics, Prodisc, Moser Baer and Taiyo Yuden. Except for Taiyo Yuden, the other manufacturers use Mitsubishi (MCC/MKM) technology for those discs that are manufactured on behalf of Mitsubishi/Verbatim, so e.g. the media manufactured by CMC using MCC/MKM technology and using MCC/MKM media codes are not identical to those using CMCs own technology and media codes.

Ah sorry for not posting earlier but thx for the heads up I’ll give these guys a try. I hope their better then what people say about them.