Testers needed: NEC 2500A Bitsetting firmware

vbimport

I just worked on Beta 6 of the booktype firmware. This version is based on HP 420i 1.25 firmware :slight_smile: I implemented the +R writing strategies from the 1.06 NEC 2500A firmware.

Most common 4x DVD+R’s and 4x DVD-R’s should work @ 8x now, including RICOHJPN R01! It also has extra media support for previously unsupported 4x media!

Have fun testing!

Get it here:
Windows: http://herrie.rpc1.org/downloads/2k5107b6.rar
DOS: http://herrie.rpc1.org/downloads/2k5107b6dos.rar

Please post your results! Set the booktype with DVDInfoPro and burn with Nero 6.3.1.6!

Donations using Paypal are always welcome of course :slight_smile:

Sweetness!!
Gonna try that tomorrow for sure.

Herrie bedankt :wink:

What is bitsetting?

Originally posted by Herrie
Herrie has created a ND-2500A firmware which also supports changing the booktype.

Heh, we are referring to ourselves in the third person now are we?

Go read about what bitsetting is here: http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=2&aid=42

Herrie! Congratulations! Thank you very much for your continued work.

my 2500a is coming in this week, cant wait to test it out

Good thing:
Bitsetting works!
Tried DVD+R to DVD-ROM - works fine! My JLMS XJ-HD165H thinks it’s a real DVD-ROM and reads at full speed!!! Never done that with discs set to DVD-ROM by other drives (Lite-On and NU booktype also works but is read at 3,5x-8x CAV only). What’s the difference that causes this different reading speed?
DVD+RW to DVD-ROM also works fine!

Bad thing:
RICOHJPNR01 4x DVD+R only works at 4x now - worked at 6x before.
Writing quality at 8x seems slightly decreased for the part written at 8x.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
Bad thing:
RICOHJPNR01 4x DVD+R only works at 4x now - worked at 6x before.

:frowning: Herrie, can this be fixed? Actually, writing to RICOHJPNR01 at 8x would be ideal (of course) since the write quality at 6x is already excellent.

That is the reading curve of the TY 4x DVD+R written at 8x with DVD-ROM book type.

Ouch!

Could just be that Recordable DVD-media is not good enough to be read at full 16x speed - here is another disc…

Thank you very much Herrie !

OK first Test results:
Good:

• flashing worked fine

DVDINFOPRO:

• changing the booktype of DVD+RW (RICOHJPNW11)
    to DVD-Rom worked fine
  • changing it back to DVD+RW worked fine
  • changing it to DVD+R worked fine
  • changing it to DVD-RW worked fine
  • changing it to DVD-R worked fine

Allready existing data on the DVD+RW was still readable after changing !

NERO:

• changing the booktype to DVD-ROM worked fine
  • changing it back to DVD+RW worked fine
  • burning DVD+RW after setting drive default with DVDinfoPro
    to DVD-ROM and making a shuttdown worked fine

Bad:

• DVD+RW (RICOHJPNW11) can only be written with 2,4 instead of 4 with the TDB RPC1 and ripspeed firmware !!!

Please use the TDB RPC1 + no riplock Firmware and include Bitsetting to get the best out of this NEC !

best wishes Prema:) :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Prema
Please use the TDB RPC1 + no riplock Firmware and include Bitsetting to get the best out of this NEC !

That would be very difficult… This firmware from Herrie is the HP 420i firmware with the namestrings modified to say ND-2500A. I don’t think that we will see bitsetting capabilities added to other firmwares, but TDB could always patch this HP firmware.

Originally posted by dhc014
That would be very difficult… This firmware from Herrie is the HP 420i firmware with the namestrings modified to say ND-2500A. I don’t think that we will see bitsetting capabilities added to other firmwares, but TDB could always patch this HP firmware.

I’ll try and see if I can get the writing strategies from another 2500A firmware added to this one :slight_smile:

Good to hear the 2500A can support bit setting now! :smiley:
Great work as usual Herrie :bigsmile:

Shouldn’t this topic should be stickied though? :iagree:

Originally posted by OC-Freak
Could just be that Recordable DVD-media is not good enough to be read at full 16x speed

i’ve been bitsetting my RICOHJPNR01 to dvd-rom for a while now (big thanks to Herrie for that ;)) and have been able to read them at full speed in my 166S, so it can definitely be done. i guess it just needs to be of high enough quality.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
i’ve been bitsetting my RICOHJPNR01 to dvd-rom for a while now (big thanks to Herrie for that ;)) and have been able to read them at full speed in my 166S, so it can definitely be done. i guess it just needs to be of high enough quality.

Yes - but the 166S is a much better reader than the 165H.

That is why I use the 165H - it easier affected by the disc quality = will slow down more on marginal quality discs.

ah, gotcha, i thought you were saying it couldn’t be done under any circumstance. it’s strange that lite-on and nu bitsetting don’t exhibit this kind of speed change. i hope someone can come up with an explanation.

Writing quality seems good enough when writing at 4x to the TY discs.

I already planned to buy this drive today after I’ve finished my work. Now I know that it’s the right decision to buy exactly this drive. Thanks a lot Herrie!