Test proves expensive batteries don’t last longer

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Test proves expensive batteries don’t last longer

The Dutch TV show ‘De Rekenkamer’ has revealed the price of the materials used in batteries and whether more expensive batteries are worth the money.
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/test-proves-expensive-batteries-dont-last-longer-71194

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

What about leakage & fit?
Some brands even when reasonably fresh, properly stored will develop leaks right in the package.

Also fit, while I think Panasonic are great batteries I know for a fact their D cells are a tight fit in my Sangean Shortwave & a Craftsman flashlight.

Unfortunately, I’ve seen numerous brands leak, including the well known brands, mainly as the result of leaving them in items such as Christmas decorations in storage. However, I even had two leak a day after they last worked. When my amp remote control stopped working, I checked the batteries (Duracell Plus) and they left an awful mess in the battery compartment, even though the remote worked the day before.

I’ve now made the switch to precharged Ni-MH AAs. Unlike earlier rechargeable batteries, precharged batteries do not lose their charge in storage and very rarely leak. At this stage, I think I’ve around 40 rechargeable AAs. We keep them in the drawer and use them like disposables, but instead of bringing the used pile to the recycling bank, they are recharged and put back in the drawer. As for the price, I paid £5 (€6) per 4 pack of precharged AAs (2150mAh 7dayshop store brand).

We have mostly switched to the low discharge rechargeable batteries. I even went as far as using the 9 volt low discharge rechargeable batteries. We would regularly buy the AA/AAA/9V mega packs but have greatly reduced our need for them. I never bought into the standard rechargeable batteries because they would need charged to often when used in devices like remote controls etc.

For the most part I also use rechargables. I bought a few family packs of sanyo eneloops about 5 years ago and they are still going strong. I use them in game controllers, keyboard, mouse, flashlight etc…

The only thing I use non-recharables in are remotes (mainly because remotes rare need there batteries replaced). If I buy a device that comes with baterries, I put in rechargables, and keep the the freebies to use in remotes.

I rarely buy batteries. I think I’m way ahead with the rechargables, and I think they last longer.

Yup, eneloops are great. I’ve also been using them for many years but I also use normal AAs for things like remotes and flashlights that rarely need new batterys.

I’ve been using nimh rechargeable batteries for about 8-10 years, and the old nicad batteries for a similar number of years before that. The nicads had a tendency to go flat when left out of the charger, and died very early if you left them in a trickle charger.

The above is my experience with Panasonic alkaline batteries, they just don’t have the capacity of other batteries, even misc branded batteries.

Sometimes I buy a device, and it comes with alkaline batteries, and it usually goes into a remote or battery operated clock … But I haven’t bought an alkaline battery for 15 years …

The only device that I’ve found that the 1.2v of the rechargeable doesn’t work (1.5v is standard for alkaline) is a cheap nose hair trimmer …

I use Harbor Freight rechargeable batteries for almost everything.
They hold a charge for long enough for me. The green label ones seem to be a little better than the orange label ones.
Most of my non-rechargeables came in something like a remote control.
I use them until they fail then go to a rechargeable.
I have a good charger that can be set to “refresh” This comepletly discharges the battery & then charges it. It can also be set to just charge. I also have one that just charges & I use it for that instead of putting wear on the better one.
BTW I even use a rechargeble in my electric toothbrush.
The cordless phones I have also use AAA rechargeables instead of the special “phone batteries”.

I use the low discharge rechargeable 9V batteries in our smoke detectors.

http://www.batteryshowdown.com/
Another excellent set of tests (at high and low drain).

Also stands out clearly that at low drain, the Alkaline versus ZnCl advantage is only about 3 or 4 to 1

The only way Duracell would get the 12 to 1 advantage they claim in their adverts, is by comparing with ZnCl in devices for which they are specified as compatible (I think the small print said camera, and my camera says only use Alkaline)

For years I have been telling people stop paying for batteries because of the name that even if they were to last longer the difference it price still makes them cost a lot more

I’ve purchased 3 or 4 family packs of Sanyo (now Panasonic) Eneloop batteries. I even have 8 of the Eneloop XX 2500Mah AAs. I use them in remotes, toys, and high-end ($100+) flashlights. For smoke detectors I use alkaline 9v — just a personal preference. Eneloop NiMH batteries almost never leak, you can recharge them 1500 times, are made in Japan, pay for themselves quickly, and are low self-discharge. They even come pre-charged using solar power.