Test: Only post links after you have 2 posts

Unfortunately when you have a popular forum you become a victim of spammers. So are we. In order to make the life of spammers a bit more difficult we’ve just limited when you can post images and links.

Now you need 2 posts before you can post a link or an image.

We’re currently fighting spam, our moderator team is continious online to fight spam, we have plugins that prevent spam posts to be posted and still things come through.

We’ve lately seen an increase in posts with 1 pixel images which could be used for unknown reasons. We hate to enforce restrictions but hope to fight these spammers this way, we hope for your understanding.

In case the restriction doesn’t help and/or gives too much trouble we’ll ofcourse revert the decision, as always your feedback is much appreciated!

It will be a small “speed bump " for spammers .
What I think it will increase are the " Thanks for the info” type posts where a new member is just building the post count to the necessary level. You know the kind where it is the only post that member made in a thread & makes no real contribution .
I guess something has to be tried .
One thing I don’t like some sites do is the random generated code words that have to be used for a search . Some even require it for every search.

I don’t know if this is possible or if it would slow the spammers down but maybe a new login required for each image or link post by a member with less than 3 posts.

Another forum I occasionally lurk at, has the same restriction, except in their case I think it’s 5 or 10 posts, so to anyone annoyed by the current post requirement, it could be a whole lot worse. :wink:

Even the higher limit doesn’t stop the mass-spammers (you know, the bots that drop like 15 posts in one shot), but it sure cuts it down from what I’ve seen.

@Cholla - I do think you have an excellent point about posting to get the post-count up, though I think it might slow bots down.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2675051]Now you need 2 posts before you can post a link or an image.[/quote] I think i can handle that. :slight_smile:

We’ve lately seen an increase in posts with 1 pixel images which could be used for unknown reasons.
Go shopping at Electronic Arts. They have been using 1 pixel tracking for years. How about a minimum pixel size? I’d guess you could use the smileys for a reference. :flower:

We hate to enforce restrictions but hope to fight these spammers this way, we hope for your understanding.
Of course. Great service! :bow: