Test images for copy protections

vbimport

I've been thinking of this before, but now it seems to be something possible:

Would it be possible to make test images (small enough to be downloaded) that contains a copy protection (like the SafeDisc ones) that are usuable in reviews ?

Currently reviewers have to buy a CD to find out if a drive can handle the copy protection on it, and that's pretty expensive. It would be great if as soon as there is a new SafeDisc version around someone could make an image with that protection accurate enough to use in our reviews. (somekind of protection emulation I would call it)

Would it also be possible to emulate Cactus DataShield and Key2Audio CD's ? And would even SecuRom (new) be possible ?

Would like to hear the opinions of the PRO's here :wink:

You could do CDS100 by modiying the lead-out time of the image to something smaller (Like by using Easy Audio Lock or Clone Audio Protector), burning it, and then attempting to rip it with the drive you want to test.

I saw a program on the board to determine if the drive can read/write subchannel data, but I can’t remember where.

I am not sure if this can be done… do we know really everything about all available protections? SirDavidGuy mentions CDS100 which can be created by modifying the leadout time in the TOC. But how can we be sure they don’t use other tricks like, illegal sessions, unclosed sessions, c2 error tricks (CDS200 does this), etc. I am pretty sure that CDS100 does more than just modifying the leadout time!

I think the same goes for data protections. How do/can we know for sure that SafeDisc also doesn’t use c2 error tricks?

Maybe another suggestion: can’t the reviewers rent the game from a video-rental shop or library?

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
I think the same goes for data protections. How do/can we know for sure that SafeDisc also doesn’t use c2 error tricks?

Because CloneCD works!

It can’t write C2 errors, and the games still run, so SD can’t rely on C2 errors.

Upp3rd0g, I also tought about that, we can only use them if we are really sure about how they work, but I have the idea some of the people here seem to know it…

Maybe spath or blackcheck could shed some light on this ?

Would be pretty hard to test the read times without having the original discs…

:confused:

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Would be pretty hard to test the read times without having the original discs…

:confused: [/B]

Well it seems to me that we will have to redo tests with some drives, if you want to use others as a refrence indeed. But it will need to bypass the errors and that will take the time, if I’m right (I admit, I’m not technical, just hoping for some support :stuck_out_tongue: ) and for the audio protections I think the main question will be: can the drive do it or not…

I think that it sounds like a great idea, it would be usefull for so many other reasons to ie other people could get access to various copy prots to test out how they work etc. It would be a fantastic reference. However I guess you would need to be able to copy the protection before you could make you reference disk to start with! I think personally that it is a fantastic idea I hope you can get it off the ground!

I think even better would be if you guys where given a sample of each different type of protection by your beloved readers that way you guys would have a permanent reference and we would benefit from a combined resource when you guys to all the hard work of testing etc etc :slight_smile:

I reckon if you asked the readers you could pretty much get one of ANYTHING on the market, ie who doesnt have old titles SD1 + 2 etc stuck in drawers that they never play anymore I am pretty sure all of us have one or two.

Good luck in your project.