Test a comercial movie dvd?

This may be the wrong place to ask this question so please don’t hesitate to move this post. I want to scan a commercial movie dvd but Nero CD-DVD Speed shows this error “Error initializing test”. I’m using an old NEC3520aw with the latest firmware. What am I doing wrong?

Do a transfer rate test. I don’t believe that this NEC can scan as you want.

Run AnyDVD or DVD43 in the background to remove any protection as you’re doing your test (TRT as mentioned).

You can also play a few seconds of the disc in your favourite DVD playing program such as PowerDVD or WinDVD, which will then unlock the decryption of the disc. Then you can run a TRT after stopping the DVD playing program.

Thanks, I’ll try that.

With some drives, you must supress the acceleration time (in CDSpeed options) to scan a DVD-video/ROM disc, or need the trick which [B]DrageMester [/B]mentions. But some drives will merely refuse to scan such discs.

If I remember well, the 3520 can report PIE/PIF. But as all NEC drives, what is reported as “PIEs” are not PIEs according to ECMA standards.

When I had to TRT a couple of commercial discs for a drive review, running decryption software in the background worked like a charm for me.

I’d completely forgotten about the PowerDVD trick :o (someone told me that years ago).

Edit: Also, I don’t tend to watch DVDs on my PC these days, so don’t have any viewing software installed. :slight_smile: