Terrible sound quality out of DVD player

I posted this in the DVD Home entertainment forum and decided I would try this forum as well to see if someone might have an answer for me.

I recently purchased a sony DVD player with surround sound speakers from a friend of mine. It is probably a year old and has two speakers plus a sub woofer. He said he dropped around 900.00 dollars for it when it was new (and he is a trust worth guy so I believe him). When watching DVD’s on my TV, the thing preforms as expected…great sound and great bass…could not be happier. However, I am also a big music buff so I have my lap top connected to the DVD player as well in order to listen to mp3’s. Now when I listen to music through my computer, the sound out of the DVD player is terrible. My old surround sound system had a 5 speaker setup plus a sub and worked just fine when I rigged it the same way. I am simply running a audio cable out of the head phone jack on the lap top to one of the audio-in ports on the DVD player. I have played around with the sound settings on both my lap top and the DVD player and can not get the quality of sound to increase at all. The new DVD player has every port imaginable. HDMI, Coaxial, S-video, etc…you name it, you got it as far as that is concerned. Despite the excellent audio I get on DVDs, the fact that my mp3 sound is so terrible is killing me. I know it has something to do with the fact that there are only 2 speakers now but I am not technically savvy enough to figure it out. Can some one shed any light on this problem or direct me to some where I made be able to locate the answer on my own. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Unless your laptop has HDMI, 5.1 out, or an optical out, you can only get stereo out of the headphone jack. The fact that your old system worked fine, was that perhaps it decodes and outputs better than the new HTIB…
What bitrate are the mp3s you’re dealing with? Perhaps re-encoding from original file(s) using ~192kbps or higher,might help…

Thank you so much for your response. I have a couple of questions pertaining to it.

1. I have no idea what my bit rate is…how do I determine that?
  2. Is there something I need to download to re code them or is that a function that is already present on the machine.
    3… I have been looking at external sound cards that I could hook to the lap top, if I could find one with an HDMI or optical output, would that fix this problem.

Again, thank you for your response.

1.With your mouse hover over an mp3 file and you should see it’s properties…Or open with your media player…Or use Gspot

2.How did you create/acquire your mp3s now?

3.Yes ,but it also depends on your current audio equipment and how it handles the input audio source and it’s decoding… Sorry about this but, RTFM …:cool:

Ok, I am work right now so I will check out the properties of the files when I get home.

Most of my mp3’s (and there are quite alot) came from either ripping a CD or downloaded from various sources.

I am beginning to think that the decoding on the DVD player may be more advanced and requires a better sound card with an optical output…the regular audio output just might be cutting it anymore.

Using a headphone jack is never the best option. The impedance and voltage is wrong for most line-level inputs on amps or receivers. If your laptop doesn’t have a line-level output, then optical/coaxial is clearly the way to go. “Line level” would be the sort of output you’d use to connect external speakers.

[QUOTE=CDan;2199037]Using a headphone jack is never the best option. The impedance and voltage is wrong for most line-level inputs on amps or receivers. If your laptop doesn’t have a line-level output, then optical/coaxial is clearly the way to go. “Line level” would be the sort of output you’d use to connect external speakers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that is what I was beginning to think was wrong. Is a new sound card the only option then? Something that would have a optical/coaxial output because I know the DVD player has both…and if that is the case, does any know of a good one that does not have a bunch of unnecessary bells and whistles?

[QUOTE=Tplayer2007;2199072]Thanks, that is what I was beginning to think was wrong. Is a new sound card the only option then? Something that would have a optical/coaxial output because I know the DVD player has both…and if that is the case, does any know of a good one that does not have a bunch of unnecessary bells and whistles?[/QUOTE]

Virtually any sound card has line-level output, and usually digital as well.